Hair algae explosion after lowering nutrients??

Deltec

sanzz18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used reef flux to get rid of turf algae months ago, worked perfectly. I let my nutrients get to, at the highest, 0.78 for po4 and 38 no3 after the treatment. It was recommended to me by a few reefers to let my tank do its thing and stop chasing parameters because every sps frag I tried kept dying. That whole situation go out of control.

I started noticing small patches of gha showing up but nothing significant. I knew immediately I had to lower my nutrients due to disaster inbound lol. Over the course of almost 2 months, I very slowly lowered my po4 to 0.12 and no3 to 10-12. In the process I noticed the hair algae exponentially taking off.

Was the acceleration of the gha due to me lowering my nutrients and maybe upsetting the balance or do you think it was pretty much in motion already/not related to lowering nutrients?

Either way, I am keeping my parameters now mostly where they are, maybe a tad bit lower. My reefcleaners order arrived today too because my cuc had dwindled down and bought a ton of blue leg hermits/astrea snails/emeralds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my tank looked that clean.

It definitely is just because the picture is showing a 6ft tank, hard to see the details. My sand has cyano, rocks look like trash lol.

Yeah that's not that bad. Just manually remove what you can and do water changes.

Trying, manual removal is a pain.

Upvote 0

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely is just because the picture is showing a 6ft tank, hard to see the details. My sand has cyano, rocks look like trash lol.
No seriously, I have a 6ft tank and I wish it was that clean.

Upvote 0

Jared Bryant

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trying, manual removal is a pain.
Yeah it's tough at the start but eventually you will win. Weekly routine just grab a beer and some good music and in no time it's done.

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a large tank for sure, not easy to deep clean

And the pics look great, can't see algae meaning you're starting early, nice

The sandbed isn't packed with waste and there's not a ton of fish commanding lots of tank resource and waste, it looks sharp so far.

Upvote 0
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back