Growing trees in your tank: Is a Kenya Tree coral just for beginners?

BRS

Is a Kenya Tree coral just for beginners?

• Kenya Tree corals are good for any tank and skill level

Votes: 202 59.1%
  • Kenya Tree corals are a good option for any softie-only tank

Votes: 62 18.1%
  • Kenya Tree corals are a primarily a starter coral

Votes: 59 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 19 5.6%

• Total voters

StoneNeo82

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started with one that was brown. It drops like crazy now I have a small forest growing. It provides great movement in my tank but doesn’t add color. I have recently just discovered they come in different colors and shapes. Would like to add a green variety to my tank at some point.

woodyetia

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a Kenya tree I was told from LFS it’s a Anthelia.
CB23FAF0-07C3-4472-BE87-DD87BE490769.jpeg

TheYear2525

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Kenya Tree is magenta brownish (probably what other people here call just brown) and so far it does no evil after a year or two.
I think it's a nice contrast with the green Sinularia.
I Haven't seen it throwing it's frags around and also a Montipora plate and Sinularias are touching it an they don't get stung. It's growing about as fast a my green Sinularia and both grow way way slower than that stupid ugly Cladiella (now that's a beginner coral that grows like weed).
Having that said my water parameters don't seem to be that optimal for softies, since Lobophyton, Sarcophyton, Zoas and Ricordea florida are struggling (not the R. yuma though!). Not sure why, maybe Iodine deficiency. Sinularias, Kenya Tree, Cladiella, Green Montipora Plate, LPS and other Mushrooms are doing fine. Maybe the Kenia Tree will explode, once I've solved that? In that case there won't be any mercy.

Polyp Punk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing trees in your tank: Is a Kenya Tree coral just for beginners?

Often Kenya Tree corals are listed when searching for starter corals and many would suggest that this is for good reason. These soft corals seem to be able to adapt to a wide range of parameters, but are they only a beginner coral? Kenya Tree corals come in multiple colors and many variations seem to fall under this generic name. What is your experience with Kenya Trees? Have you ever tried to add more than one? Have yours shrunk for no apparent reason? Have they dropped limbs that grow into new trees? Please share your tips and experiences with Kenya Tree corals in the discussion below!

View attachment 3030430
Photo by @Ben Pedersen
I love Kenya tree !

Cheezle

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started with one that was brown. It drops like crazy now I have a small forest growing. It provides great movement in my tank but doesn’t add color. I have recently just discovered they come in different colors and shapes. Would like to add a green variety to my tank at some point.
I'm waiting for the green one as well, it looks really dang cool. I just don't ever see it pop up at my LFS or online lol

padilla95624

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mark Bradley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little off topic but does your LFS take such frags? Do you get a credit? Like, I could give them 20 a month - it never occurred to me to try, though, because the dang thing is so prolific.
My LFS is very good at taking frags and giving me credit. However, with the Kenya Trees I just gave them to him - they weren’t big and it seemed a shame to just throw them away.

bakbay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m afraid of Kenya trees and Xenias — they both can spread like wild fires and overtake the tank. What I have now is a mid-size colony of a Koji Wada Pink Nephthea — very colorful, looks like Kenya tree, got pretty cool fiberglass patterns on its base, and the best part: it doesn’t spread like crazy!

Grsfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have this neon green Kenya tree and another one that is more of a metallic green or blueish green. Both have never dropped babies in over a year and they get really big. it’s a nice coral to have if you have the space for it and want a bright green coral. They are also easy to frag
1AEC5068-C5EF-470E-B661-F6F12285BD8E.jpeg

hhaase

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a purplish Kenya tree, still about the same size as it was when I put it in the tank three years ago. Got a bit bigger for a little while but it’s back down to its old size again now.

I’ve got a number of nicely growing LPS and SPS, but just can’t get either of my softies to grow.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM
Back