AquaCave
Hello everyone, long time lurker but new to posting. 90 gallon display with 20 gallon sump, roller mat filter, oversized skimmer. Cheap Nicrew lighting, really want to upgrade to a couple AI or Kessil, but been running these for the last year at 50%. The lighting may be my issue, which I'll address later. Weekly water changes on sundays (just got done), 25 gallons each time out of a premixed Brute from the day before using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. My testing habits probably aren't the best with running API drip kits, but do test everything under the sun with them every couple of weeks and stay acceptable across the board. One day will spring on the Hanna testers and that would likely improve my more consistent and accurate testing habits. Started the tank with 40 lbs live sand and 60 lbs of white dry rock, have since added another 20 lbs of established live rock.

Live stock:
2 clowns, 2 orange spotted gobies, 1 royal gramma, 1 sixline wrasse. Lost a bicolor blenny and firefish, firefish jumped in the overflow and i could never get him out, might still be alive but can never get a good look back there. The bicolor seemed super happy and healthy until he just disappeared one day about 3 months after we got it.

Bunch of clean up crew, 20 nirites, 20 trochus, 20 blue legged hermits, 20 astraeas, 20 bumblebee snails, 20 nassarius, 10 ninja star snails, 10 margaritas, 10 ceriths, 2 money cowries, 1 fighting conch, 2 emerald crabs, 1 pincushion urchin, 1 brittlestar, 1 banded coral shrimp, and 50 micro ceriths i regret adding because they have gotten in the habit of getting lodged in equipment causing a little hassle occasionally, but nothing too involved. Lost 10 peppermint shrimp, pretty sure the banded coral shrimp,who we call Zoidburg, ate them. Everything else seems alive and well, lots of movement and notice things out and about. Also added 10 jars of pods over 6 months, can see them occasionally in the display, mostly in the sump.

Ive added about 20 varieties of zoas, which I wanted to basically overgrow the tank, but have gotten little growth and some have completely withered away. Most were added about 4 months after initial set up and the ones that have lasted have been in tank for about 6 months now. Only one small plug that started with 3 polyps has started growing off the plug and onto rock, the rest just seem to be at a standstill or worse. On the other hand, we also put a green stylo and an encrusting green and orange monti in, and they are both visually growing pretty quick over the last 4 monts or so. As well i have had a single rodactus mushroom turn into 8 and all are nice sized and spreading. However,the show piece zoa rock with 200 plus polyps has had a turn for the worse and now only has maybe 50, and only 2 of the 4 colors that was originally on the rock. Also lost a birdsnest down in the rocks one night probably being knocked off by the urchin. Maybe it will surprise me one day and be noticable growing up and out.

Overall the tank has seemed to run ok since starting it a year ago on 10/18, no algae or pest issues at all. Only wish the coraline would grow a little faster, it seems terribly slow to me, only a few bits starting on the back glass, overflow, and dry rock. And certainly wish i could figure out the problems with zoa growth and survival, as i intended it to be a big zoa garden with a few other odd and end show pieces. If not, maybe change to a more mixed coral tank and see how it grows out.

Anyway, thanks for reading if you took the time, and certainly for any secrets you might pass on that i might be missing. Have enjoyed reading various posts from the community for quite a while and absolutely appreciate what you all do for the reefing community.

20220306_103345.jpg 20220306_102034.jpg 20220306_103318.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back