Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so I have a 30gl AIO Reef setup with a constant battle of Hair Algae. I recently did a 50% water change, manually pulled the GHA and put a bag of Chemipure Elite in the chamber. Phosphates with a Hanna Phosphorous (Low range) test kit show PO4 as undetectable, assuming the algae is consuming it.

Assuming if I addressed the import of the algae (water changes, Verify all ATO water, etc is TDS=0) , my question is around the Chemipure Elite and knowing if phosphates are truly low (let's say .03 target). Since I can't detect phosphate via test kit before the latest round of clean up, now that I have added Chemipure Elite, how do I know if it is reducing phosphates? Is it as simple as algae starting to die or that algae growth has stopped?

At the end of the day, if algae is uptaking phosphates, how do I really know what the level is if I cannot detect any?

I also make the assumption that if there is algae in the tank, then there has to be phosphates in the tank also.

Hoping to get a little clarity...thanks in advance!

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello, so I have a 30gl AIO Reef setup with a constant battle of Hair Algae. I recently did a 50% water change, manually pulled the GHA and put a bag of Chemipure Elite in the chamber. Phosphates with a Hanna Phosphorous (Low range) test kit show PO4 as undetectable, assuming the algae is consuming it.

Assuming if I addressed the import of the algae, my question is around the Chemipure and knowing if phosphates are truly low (let's say .03 target). Since I can't detect phosphate via test kit before the latest round of clean up, now that I have Chemipure, how do I know if it is reducing phosphates? Is it as simple as algae starting to die or growth has stopped?

At the end of the day, if algae is uptaking phosphates, how do I really know what the level is if I cannot detect any?

Hoping to get a little clarity...thanks in advance!
ZERO PHOS can promote dino so be careful
Regarding your question, how do you know. . . . Pull the chemipure and put back in the container. It should slowly rise with regular feedings.
OR, , , , Take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use Api test kits and see what reading they come up with and to compare with yours
What test kits are you using ?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ZERO PHOS can promote dino so be careful
Regarding your question, how do you know. . . . Pull the chemipure and put back in the container. It should slowly rise with regular feedings.
OR, , , , Take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use Api test kits and see what reading they come up with and to compare with yours
What test kits are you using ?
I use Hanna test kits. Low Range Phosphate which measures in Phosphorous. Same with my Nitrate = Hanna. Using High Range Nitrate test kit which also reads 0.

I like the LFS idea. I have a very reputable LFS near me that uses Red Sea or Hanna...I will double check to cross off the obvious checklist item

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back