Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sallstrom @taricha Funny - I haven't done my water change yet, mixed my salt yesterday with plans to do it today. I come down stairs this morning, and there's noticeably much less on my sand bed than there was last night. Rather than large mats, there's small patches here and there. The cyano must've known I was talking about it.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
ReefSoup

ReefSoup

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you should skip this water change if things are going the right direction anyway? :)
The idea behind that is that the WC is another change, and cyano often do well if somethings changes.
Waiting a couple days to see what happens can't hurt. Worst case if it stays the same or gets worse, then I'll do the change.

I know there's mixed thoughts on this, but do you think using filter socks or some other type of mechanical filtration could help by pulling out some of the excess solids and uneaten food? I've never used socks because the way I built my sump (regret it after fact), I can't fit a sock under my drain line so it's always just been my skimmer. I might have to get creative and try something DIY.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the picture in your first post I think your tank looks really clean as it is. So I would not worry about socks or that kind of filtration. We do not use filter socks. Too much work :) But then I like to run tanks with some particals in the water and lots of filter feeders. If I feel the sand is dirty I vacuum it. If there are piles of detritus in the sump, I can remove those.

Otherwise just vacuum out the cyano.

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

First Choice
Back