Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Green Bird Wrasse recently developed this hole and lifted scale on its side. He is not scratching, is very active, and eats like pig. I don't know if it is related but I do believe I have a bacterial bloom from my Sulfur Recator that I just added two weeks ago. The bloom started yesterday. I believe it is a bloom because the water has been cloudy since yesterday and whenever the water is cloudy from sand or vitamins while feeding it clears up in a few hours. This has not cleared. Any thoughts on what hole / would could be?

Water Parameters:
pH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 54ppm
Salinity: 1.105 (in the process of slowly raising from a hyposalinity period, was at 1.009 weeks ago)

IMG_2130.JPG

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

threebuoys

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think this might be an injury from another fish in the tank? You have some aggressive tank mates. Perhaps they got into a tussel? Watch the wound for possibility of infection. Should that occur, you'll need to treat with an antibiotic

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My Green Bird Wrasse recently developed this hole and lifted scale on its side. He is not scratching, is very active, and eats like pig. I don't know if it is related but I do believe I have a bacterial bloom from my Sulfur Recator that I just added two weeks ago. The bloom started yesterday. I believe it is a bloom because the water has been cloudy since yesterday and whenever the water is cloudy from sand or vitamins while feeding it clears up in a few hours. This has not cleared. Any thoughts on what hole / would could be?

Water Parameters:
Salinity: 1.105 (in the process of slowly raising from a hyposalinity period, was at 1.009 weeks ago)

Raise salinity each day. Not sure what test kits you are using but this appears to be a bacterial infection and may have stemmed from injury or aggression and provoked by water quality. If youre using Api kits, I encourage you to take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at and compare with yours.
Treatment will need to be administered in a quarantine tank using Seachem Kanaplex. If none- maracyn 2

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me this looks like an injury from another fish. I would watch carefully (im sure others have mentioned) - view from afar for a period. Either that or from transfer, etc. There is not enough information to make a for sure comment. Watch it. Watch the other fish - IMHO. good luck with your tank and the fish. Worsening would be a problem

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
K

kboogie

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me this looks like an injury from another fish. I would watch carefully (im sure others have mentioned) - view from afar for a period. Either that or from transfer, etc. There is not enough information to make a for sure comment. Watch it. Watch the other fish - IMHO. good luck with your tank and the fish. Worsening would be a problem
The tank is in my home office. I sit 6ft away for 9 to 14 hours a day :).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Water Parameters:

View attachment 3066101

Looks like a couple of injuries to me also. Bird wrasse are one of the few wrasses that can develop head and lateral line erosion (but the mark above its side fin isn't that, and the mark on the head isn't that either, unless there is a matching mark on the other side of its head.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated the post with a picture as well.

I think it might be a spine poke from my Fox Face. He has been known to poke other large fish.
that would be an injury. If in fact its a spine injury (which should be a puncture - as compared to a circle) - An antibiotic might be indicated - I would tend to not do that however

OP
OP
K

kboogie

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a couple of injuries to me also. Bird wrasse are one of the few wrasses that can develop head and lateral line erosion (but the mark above its side fin isn't that, and the mark on the head isn't that either, unless there is a matching mark on the other side of its head.

Jay
Fortunately, there is no matching mark on the other side of the head so injury is the most likely culprit. I really feel it is the Foxface. It tends to flare out its spines throughout the day or during a feeding scrum. The wrasse is so active I bet it got poked by accident.

Weeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
during a feeding scrum.
Have you tried this 'trick?' Aggressors are usually more assertive during a feeding, but not while around you necessarily. Set your smartphone/camera up to record a 30 min video. Then add food to the tank. Leave immediately after adding the food, and totally keep everyone out of sight. Check the video later to see who is the aggressor, for sure.

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Have you tried this 'trick?' Aggressors are usually more assertive during a feeding, but not while around you necessarily. Set your smartphone/camera up to record a 30 min video. Then add food to the tank. Leave immediately after adding the food, and totally keep everyone out of sight. Check the video later to see who is the aggressor, for sure.
Wow- some very familiar words but I believe this is not a continuous aggression but a squabble that occurred

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Copepods
Back