+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Never stopped by before, tanks looks great. I just skimmed thru last thru pages. You did a a heck of a lot better than I did battling Dino. Took me forever to get rid of mine, and a lot more casualties as well.

Sorry if I missed it, what size is you UV and what GPH are you running. I installed the 57 watt and run about 600 gph In my 180. Water is clear and no Dino, but still have some algae.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Never stopped by before, tanks looks great. I just skimmed thru last thru pages. You did a a heck of a lot better than I did battling Dino. Took me forever to get rid of mine, and a lot more casualties as well.

Sorry if I missed it, what size is you UV and what GPH are you running. I installed the 57 watt and run about 600 gph In my 180. Water is clear and no Dino, but still have some algae.

Hey, Scott

lol
Rough year for this reef... ;Blackeye

The ball got rolling with dinos when I added 5-year-old live rock in the reef and did not cure it.

Stopped all water changes until the dinos were gone.

The guys on this thread pitched in for some guidance.

We went more of a natural approach.
bulked up the CUC
Added pods and dosed Alagebarns OceanMagik live phytoplankton.

Went with the Aqua UV 25 watt pushing at about 180 gallons an hour.

Feel like the pods with OceanMagik did the job, but went with a UV for good measure.

Freddie

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas evening 2020 update:

Unfortunately, the Achilles tang cut back on his eating about two weeks ago. He passed away between Sunday night and Monday morning. We had him right about two years and sure will be missed. Could have been constipation, but we will really, never know... :(

The Purple Tang and Regal Angel have not missed abeat.

The Siporax has got the nitrates down right at 12ppm per NYOS nitrate kit. Going to let it lay at this time.

NYOS phosphate media did not pan out close to Rowaphos. No way to get it to tumble and it exhausted real fast. Worth a shot but more Rowa is on its way.

Just went back to Avitro Salinity salt mix. Talked to an LFS in Murfreesboro about ordering it. They came in at a really nice price point, and you hit .35ppt just under 1/2 cup per gallon. That's one mix that is truly rated at reef salinity per gallon. It does mix a tad murky but I have never received a bad batch.

To make room for a Staghorn type coral, traded in the big ducan colony that was on top. Brought home about $300.00 worth of fish in the trade.
The Aquatic Critter is going to frag off that big colony.

Shot at the Aquatic Critter:
Took a vegetable soup sized pot to transport the one ducan colony.
PXL_20201222_184136955.jpg

Yeah,
They will make a killing but needed the space, and got some of our wants.

Anyways...
Came home with a cool bonded pair of clownfish from Sustainable Aquatics (forgot the strain name... ;Oldman, clownfish names are getting just about crazy as acros), three scissortail's (hanging in high flow up top), and an ORA Smith's blenny. They are all eating and seem to be settling in.

lol
This full-grown sized Smith's is the coolest blenny that I've ever had!!

If you've never seen a Smith's blenny, they have great personalities.

The owner of the Aquatic Critter is doing a big order from ORA next week: Put in for a Red Planet, Green Slimer, and an Easter egg chalice.

Bout it, pictures to come down the line.

AS
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas evening 2020 update:

Unfortunately, the Achilles tang cut back on his eating about two weeks ago. He passed away between Sunday night and Monday morning. We had him right about two years and sure will be missed. Could have been constipation, but we will really, never know... :(

The Purple Tang and Regal Angel have not missed abeat.

The Siporax has got the nitrates down right at 12ppm per NYOS nitrate kit. Going to let it lay at this time.

NYOS phosphate media did not pan out close to Rowaphos. No way to get it to tumble and it exhausted real fast. Worth a shot but more Rowa is on its way.

Just went back to Avitro Salinity salt mix. Talked to an LFS in Murfreesboro about ordering it. They came in at a really nice price point, and you hit .35ppt just under 1/2 cup per gallon. That's one mix that is truly rated at reef salinity per gallon. It does mix a tad murky but I have never received a bad batch.

To make room for a Staghorn type coral, traded in the big ducan colony that was on top. Brought home about $300.00 worth of fish in the trade.
The Aquatic Critter is going to frag off that big colony.

Shot at the Aquatic Critter:
Took a vegetable soup sized pot to transport the one ducan colony.
View attachment 1944462
Yeah,
They will make a killing but needed the space, and got some of our wants.

Anyways...
Came home with a cool bonded pair of clownfish from Sustainable Aquatics (forgot the strain name... ;Oldman, clownfish names are getting just about crazy as acros), three scissortail's (hanging in high flow up top), and an ORA Smith's blenny. They are all eating and seem to be settling in.

lol
This full-grown sized Smith's is the coolest blenny that I've ever had!!

If you've never seen a Smith's blenny, they have great personalities.

The owner of the Aquatic Critter is doing a big order from ORA next week: Put in for a Red Planet, Green Slimer, and an Easter egg chalice.

Bout it, pictures to come down the line.
Congrats on the new additions to the aquatic family! Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new additions to the aquatic family! Merry Christmas!

Thanks, Brew
It's nice to have some action back in the reef. Those scissortail's may jump, wish I had googled that before bringing those home.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Sorry about the Achilles :( Look forward to seeing the new guys
Ray,
Lossing that guy is a bummer, but like you said, looking forward to moving on as well.

They are special fish in many ways, but that will be the last Achillies that I take on.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah man Freddie.. sorry u lost ur orange vols mascot. Never easy losing a fish like that. Good to hear the other larger fins appear to be doing well through it. Any change in behaviors yet as the social ladder resettles in its absence?

Hope to see some new fish photos soon :)

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah man Freddie.. sorry u lost ur orange vols mascot. Never easy losing a fish like that. Good to hear the other larger fins appear to be doing well through it. Any change in behaviors yet as the social ladder resettles in its absence?

Hope to see some new fish photos soon :)

Rich,
That's a good question

The Regal has become dominant.

The Regal Angel was not happy when the clownfish came in, but she settled down. With that in mind, I don't think she'd get along with adding a new angel or tang.

Sidebar:
I did add a micro clownfish sometime back. It was so tiny, I think it needed to be fed several times a day and it could not handle the flow in this reef.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I need to clean the back glass

When you look at the FTS you can see the launching pad that the one ducun took up.

PXL_20201226_172012184.MP.jpg
PXL_20201226_171932695.MP (1).jpg
PXL_20201226_171831687.jpg
PXL_20201226_171741740.MP.jpg
PXL_20201226_171638554.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20201226_171542471.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20201226_171237834 (1).jpg
PXL_20201226_171252733.jpg
PXL_20201226_171250275.jpg
PXL_20201226_171224659.jpg
PXL_20201226_171206510.jpg
PXL_20201226_171138365.MP.jpg
PXL_20201226_171351185.MP.jpg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year's day!!

Added in two more t5's, So we're pushing 4 t5's with the 4 Kessil A360X's / 4" above the waterline... ;Wideyed

Cranking the Kessil's with an up and down (^^^^ intensity pattern) on a daily loop.

They hit 100% at 10 am, down to 80% at noon, and back to 100% at 2 pm, it just patterns out that way until dimming down for lights out. It's what I did with the AP700 and seems to be panning out well again.

Spectrum: 20% Tuna Blue, 100% Violet and 10% Red.

The corals have hit a growth spurt, alk intake is rising, so letting the lights be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cross-Check Note:
Changed out everything in the RO/DI unit 2 months back:

After struggling with constant diatoms (after the bio media kicked in) the Siporax has been removed. We've given this a good run, but the constant struggle with diatoms needs to come to an end.

The NYOS gfo did not measure up to Rowaphos, but the Rowa has been exhausting at an extremely high rate as well.

Going by all the evidence, feel like once the Siproax kicked in, it has been leaching silicates. Got some Maxspect Nano-Tech Bio-Blocks heading this way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Regal Angel had the clownfish on the run on the first day (tad amount of flashing), and after she laid off they were still in panic mode days later, so took those guys back.

She never flashed at the scissortail's or the Smith's blenny. They are doing well and happy to see them.

Yesterday ordered a 3.5" counting the tail / male Blue Throat Trigger from Matt at TSM Aquatics. If the Regal lays off, then he'll be the last fish added. Man, TSM's customer service is sure top-notch.

Caught a WWC green slimer (WYSIWYG) frag on sale for $29 and grabbed that coral too. WWC is backed up so, the frag will not get here until the 12th.

the end...

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year's day!!

Added in two more t5's, So we're pushing 4 t5's with the 4 Kessil A360X's / 4" above the waterline... ;Wideyed

Cranking the Kessil's with an up and down (^^^^ intensity pattern) on a daily loop.

They hit 100% at 10 am, down to 80% at noon, and back to 100% at 2 pm, it just patterns out that way until dimming down for lights out. It's what I did with the AP700 and seems to be panning out well again.

Spectrum: 20% Tuna Blue, 100% Violet and 10% Red.

The corals have hit a growth spurt, alk intake is rising, so letting the lights be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cross-Check Note:
Changed out everything in the RO/DI unit 2 months back:

After struggling with constant diatoms (after the bio media kicked in) the Siporax has been removed. We've given this a good run, but the constant struggle with diatoms needs to come to an end.

The NYOS gfo did not measure up to Rowaphos, but the Rowa has been exhausting at an extremely high rate as well.

Going by all the evidence, feel like once the Siproax kicked in, it has been leaching silicates. Got some Maxspect Nano-Tech Bio-Blocks heading this way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Regal Angel had the clownfish on the run on the first day (tad amount of flashing), and after she laid off they were still in panic mode days later, so took those guys back.

She never flashed at the scissortail's or the Smith's blenny. They are doing well and happy to see them.

Yesterday ordered a 3.5" counting the tail / male Blue Throat Trigger from Matt at TSM Aquatics. If the Regal lays off, then he'll be the last fish added. Man, TSM's customer service is sure top-notch.

Caught a WWC green slimer (WYSIWYG) frag on sale for $29 and grabbed that coral too. WWC is backed up so, the frag will not get here until the 12th.

the end...
Nice update! Sorry to hear about the clowns. I'm surprised the Angel has an issue with them. My clowns are pretty much ignored by everyone.

I keep getting tempted to try a Trigger. Not sure what it would do to my snail/hermit population though.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SPR1968

Hey, Shaun

Has your pair of blue throats ate any part of your cleanup crews.

Thanks

Top Shelf Aquatics

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SPR1968

Hey, Shaun

Has your pair of blue throats ate any part of your cleanup crews.

Thanks
Not as far as I’m aware Freddie, there supposed to be one of the safer Triggers

They do take them for a ride around the tank from time to time though, must be a heck of a ride! Lol

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as far as I’m aware Freddie, there supposed to be one of the safer Triggers

They do take them for a ride around the tank from time to time though, must be a heck of a ride! Lol

Thanks, Shaun

The first blue throat I had before bringing in the regal angel could care less about the cleanup crew as well. Got two rocks to glue (bolt) down in case the guy tries to rearrange down the road.

Do yours still try to spawn?

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back