Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the details im ganna order the carbon and floss from petco now so i can pick everything up at once.
Decent call on the Sicce Whale. I forgot about those. Mostly because I've never owned one. However, Sicce makes a good product and I think you'll be happy with it. Plus, it is like 1/3 the cost of the FX2.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decent call on the Sicce Whale. I forgot about those. Mostly because I've never owned one. However, Sicce makes a good product and I think you'll be happy with it. Plus, it is like 1/3 the cost of the FX2.
thank you so much for all your help i have never needed more then the average sponge filter all of you helped so much

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a hob like seachem tidal instead of the cannister. It is much easier to change out mechanical media (filter floss) and carbon or gfo if you run it. Cannisters are fine but changing out media every 3 days gets very annoying in a cannister, also it is a small tank and hob will be able to handle it well

Nutramar Foods

afrokobe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read the whole thread, but I would recommend going hob vs cannister. None of the cannister filters have any good surface agitation or skimming, which leaves with either super nasty film on the top of your water or having to add in a second surface skimmer. I rather get the tidal hob which has surface skimming.

edit: I had the sicce whale and it was pretty easy to clean, but still annoying. I ran it more like a media cannister instead of filtration due to the amount of work. I also hated the small surface skimmer I had to run

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read the whole thread, but I would recommend going hob vs cannister. None of the cannister filters have any good surface agitation or skimming, which leaves with either super nasty film on the top of your water or having to add in a second surface skimmer. I rather get the tidal hob which has surface skimming.

edit: I had the sicce whale and it was pretty easy to clean, but still annoying. I ran it more like a media cannister instead of filtration due to the amount of work. I also hated the small surface skimmer I had to run
you had to run a skimmer as well?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you had to run a skimmer as well?
no protein skimmer, but I ran a hob refuge that did most of the nutrient processing. Grew chaeto in there and ran carbon in the cannister, with some fine sponges. I eventually switched the whole build to a sump with a hob overflow. Much better and easier to maintain. I definitely would build that into your plans if you have any ideas of adding a sump into the future. I didnt have enough space under my stand so my sump sits next to my tank lol

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a hob like seachem tidal instead of the cannister. It is much easier to change out mechanical media (filter floss) and carbon or gfo if you run it. Cannisters are fine but changing out media every 3 days gets very annoying in a cannister, also it is a small tank and hob will be able to handle it well
i already got it :anguished-face: but im down for the ride at this point. if it doesnt work i will try hob. i spend alot of time tending to my tank anyway so maybe it wont be so bad for me.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i already got it :anguished-face: but im down for the ride at this point. if it doesnt work i will try hob. i spend alot of time tending to my tank anyway so maybe it wont be so bad for me.
returns are pretty easy as long as it isnt plugged in. It is just soo much of a pita to deal with cannisters I cant recommend them anymore. I also started with a cannister 20 years ago and quickly learned why they suck to deal with.

Side note: also from long island, hmu if you run into any problems or need recommendations for LFS or free corals. Im always around to help a fellow reefer

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fyi skimmer is used primarily to talk about protein skimmer not surface skimmer. Might cause confusion if you keep calling it skimmer
thank you for the corection, i didnt realize there was a difference. i will differentiate going foward to prevent confusion. now i ask sould i have one or the other?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the corection, i didnt realize there was a difference. i will differentiate going foward to prevent confusion. now i ask sould i have one or the other?
most likely will need a surface skimmer for the cannister unless it comes with something like this
1680202657445.png

don't need a protein skimmer and its up to you if you want to add further down the line. allows for more waste removal

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has ran both canister filters and HOBs on reefs I would personally lean toward HOB, even through the salt creep sucks. The surface skimming really helps keep the surface of the water from looking scummy and maintenance is way easier.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you wont need a protein skimmer on such a small tank. Hob protein skimmer (I will start just saying skimmer to address them now lol) are finicky to deal with and can overflow onto your floor if something happens (low chance but still there). Your main nutrient export will be water changes, and O2 exchange can be increased using a powerhead.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will
returns are pretty easy as long as it isnt plugged in. It is just soo much of a pita to deal with cannisters I cant recommend them anymore. I also started with a cannister 20 years ago and quickly learned why they suck to deal with.

Side note: also from long island, hmu if you run into any problems or need recommendations for LFS or free corals. Im always around to hel
thank you i most deff will, once i get everything more stable.

Jim Gomoll

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the group that HOB is better than the canister. Only reason I got my Whale was for media and some extra filtration for my 75g. Swap out the canister for a good HOB you'll be happier especialy for easy access and cleaning.

3 months later my Marineland 450 HOB die so I gladly upgraded to an Aquaclear 110. Getting another one to hotrod with mesh on top for algae skimmer with Refuge blade light or just go full HOB refugium. Many YouTube posts for Aquaclear refugiums/mods.

For your 20g maybe do two 70 size and do same. One for filter/media and the other for refugium.

$78 Top Shelf Aquatics Innovative Marine Auqa Gadget ChaetoMax 2-n-1 Refugium LED
Small, slim and great for on top or behind light for the 110
Optimal Coverage Area – 9″ x 4″
LED Specifications:
45x 0.2W 60mA LEDs Total
5x 420nm Violet
10x 470nm Blue
10x 630nm Magenta
20x 660nm Red
Specifications:
Dimensions: 6.7″ L x 1.85″ W x 0.39″ H
Power Consumption: 6.4W @ 120VAC

Top Shelf Aquatics

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None. They are recirculating garbage cans that no one cleans frequently enough (ideally every other day and at least once a week imo) to make it worth the while. You'd be better just having some wavemaker with a prefilter or literally any other filter.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the group that HOB is better than the canister. Only reason I got my Whale was for media and some extra filtration for my 75g. Swap out the canister for a good HOB you'll be happier especialy for easy access and cleaning.

3 months later my Marineland 450 HOB die so I gladly upgraded to an Aquaclear 110. Getting another one to hotrod with mesh on top for algae skimmer with Refuge blade light or just go full HOB refugium. Many YouTube posts for Aquaclear refugiums/mods.

For your 20g maybe do two 70 size and do same. One for filter/media and the other for refugium.

$78 Top Shelf Aquatics Innovative Marine Auqa Gadget ChaetoMax 2-n-1 Refugium LED
Small, slim and great for on top or behind light for the 110
Optimal Coverage Area – 9″ x 4″
LED Specifications:
45x 0.2W 60mA LEDs Total
5x 420nm Violet
10x 470nm Blue
10x 630nm Magenta
20x 660nm Red
Specifications:
Dimensions: 6.7″ L x 1.85″ W x 0.39″ H
Power Consumption: 6.4W @ 120VAC
I do want to do a refugium soon but I need time to get there it seems like a good way to filter I would love to learn more. Does it create space in the tank by not needing so much in the tank.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Jim Gomoll

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to do a refugium soon but I need time to get there it seems like a good way to filter I would love to learn more. Does it create space in the tank by not needing so much in the tank.
Glad to help. If your heater is short enough and you modify the filter basket per this YouTube that all your going to remove from the tank.

Search Aquaclear refugium and HOB Algae Turf Scrubber on YouTube for clarification and DIY ideas. Many mod options with egg crate, plastic mesh for either option. Watch any/all HOB videos give you many ideas even if the mod is not done to the HOB you go with. YouTube is your friend.

AquaClear 70 Refugium Modification for Nano Reef

UPDATE: DIY AQUACLEAR 70 CHAETO REFUGIUM FOR NANO REEF TANK

As previously noted I looked for a compact refug. light and the IM ChaetoMax 2-n-1 fits the bill best for me. Its the smallest blade type light I found and being less than 1/2" thick there is minimal room behind HOB needed to attach it. A plus of this you don't have to keep moving it when tending to the Chaeto. Would also get some black Krylon Fusion spray paint and black out the HOB body to stop light spill over if your not liking the pink glow.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back