Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant go wrong with the Fluval ones from Petco. I would go one size up if your purchasing. Like a fluval 207.
Do you think the seachem tidal is worth it because it has a skimmer built in? Or should I get a skimmer and canister?

Nutramar Foods

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the seachem tidal is worth it because it has a skimmer built in? Or should I get a skimmer and canister?
I was not aware that Tidal came in a canister model. Are you referring to their HOB filters? If so, I’ve heard nothing but great things about Tidal filters (from the FW side of the hobby).

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to buy a hood canister filter for my 20 gallon tank. I have clowns and corals. Is 160 gph okay? Where can I find a cheap decent one.
BTW - welcome to R2R! If you’ve not done so already, I hope you head over and post an introductory message.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My
I was not aware that Tidal came in a canister model. Are you referring to their HOB filters? If so, I’ve heard nothing but great things about Tidal filters (from the FW side of the hobby).
apologies it is a hob. I assumed it would be good since it had a surface skimmer and maybe I could get good filtration with the skimmer all in one.

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it matters which one you pick. But have heard great things from the tidals. I like the canisters as they are easy to use and you can put media inside them and run them like a reactor. HOB you really cant do that.

If i was going to do just a 20 gal i would do a HOB to keep things simple and try to keep my mindset for this tank simple.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My

apologies it is a hob. I assumed it would be good since it had a surface skimmer and maybe I could get good filtration with the skimmer all in one.
No worries. Agree with above about the FX2 but you may want to swap out the provided ribbed tubing for smooth black vinyl tubing as the ribbed has a tendency to collect a lot of detritus and other debris.

Nutramar Foods

cwerner

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One point of clarification. The skimmer on the tidal is not a 'skimmer' as in Protein Skimmer. It simply surface skims the water. It doesn't generate micro bubbles to remove particles from the water column. That would require a dedicated protein skimmer.

Jim Gomoll

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you go with brand name like Fluval, Sicce, OASE, etc. While searching for my canister filter I learned that here a many cheaper knockoffs out there with nice features, basket set ups but are not URL certified. Fires from electrical issues are not covered by many insurance policies. Not worth the risk.

Went with the Whale 120 due to the compact size which is plenty of turn over for your 20gal. It's quite, easy prime, and love the quick disconnect in/out hose body .
Got mine from Petco for $105 with online order for pickup.

Would of bought the OASE 250 below with heater and pre-filter, but it was too tall. They also have less expensive Filtosmart, and Filtosmart Thermo versions that are oval in shape, but I didn't like the chamber/flow setup.

Sicce Whale 120 – 140GPH
Self-priming
Filter body disconnects quickly
and floating filter baskets make replacement fast.
Can be hanged directly on the tank.
Compact size 6.9 x 6.9 x 8.5
$130 Amazon Can get at Petco

OASE Indoor Aquatics Biomaster Thermo 250
The built-in heater
EasyClean pre-filter module
9.4 x 9.4 x 14.6

$230 Amazon

BRS
OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to buy a hood canister filter for my 20 gallon tank. I have clowns and corals. Is 160 gph okay? Where can I find a cheap decent one.
AMOSIJOY 265GPH 3-Stage Canister Filter, Ultra-Quiet External Aquarium Filter with Free Media for Large Fish Tanks and Aquariums https://a.co/d/9Vr9FpJ anyone think this would be okay I like the uv sterilizing part

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
Make sure you go with brand name like Fluval, Sicce, OASE, etc. While searching for my canister filter I learned that here a many cheaper knockoffs out there with nice features, basket set ups but are not URL certified. Fires from electrical issues are not covered by many insurance policies. Not worth the risk.

Went with the Whale 120 due to the compact size which is plenty of turn over for your 20gal. It's quite, easy prime, and love the quick disconnect in/out hose body .

Would of bought the OASE 250 below with heater and pre-filter, but it was too tall. They also have less expensive Filtosmart, and Filtosmart Thermo versions that are oval in shape, but I didn't like the chamber/flow setup.

Sicce Whale 120 – 140GPH
Self-priming

The built-in heater
9.4 x 9.4 x 14.6

$230 Amazon
shoot thank you I’ll look into that now. This is the one I was just looking at.AMOSIJOY 265GPH 3-Stage Canister Filter, Ultra-Quiet External Aquarium Filter with Free Media for Large Fish Tanks and Aquariums https://a.co/d/9Vr9FpJ

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One point of clarification. The skimmer on the tidal is not a 'skimmer' as in Protein Skimmer. It simply surface skims the water. It doesn't generate micro bubbles to remove particles from the water column. That would require a dedicated protein skimmer.
Thank you for that info I was unaware.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that info I was unaware

Sicce Whale 120 – 140GPH
Self-priming

The built-in heater
9.4 x 9.4 x 14.6

$230 Amazon
i ended up getting the whale. Do I need additional media or does it come with the initial things I need.

Jim Gomoll

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comes ready to go, but depends on what you want in the canister.
It has 3 baskets for 3 foam pads (1 blue, 2 tan), a bag of AkuaPure organic filter media and Ceramic rings.
1680188200384.png

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comes ready to go, but depends on what you want in the canister.
It has 3 baskets for 3 foam pads (1 blue, 2 tan), a bag of AkuaPure organic filter media and Ceramic rings.
View attachment 3088025
no carbon? should i get some and what kind? i want to purify the water the best i can having the corals in there

Nutramar Foods

Jim Gomoll

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no carbon? should i get some and what kind? i want to purify the water the best i can having the corals in there
I'm using Marineland Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon in a mesh bag. I just got the Black Diamond since it was at Petco. Not sure what kind is best to use and/or why that brand/kind. Check out BRS site they have allot of media info.
I'm running bottom up Tray1 Ceramic rings, tan foam. Tray2 tan foam, carbon. Tray3 Tan foam with Blue/white floss on top. Change out floss and rinse foam weekly....most of the time.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Marineland Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon in a mesh bag. I just got the Black Diamond since it was at Petco. Not sure what kind is best to use and/or why that brand/kind. Check out BRS site they have allot of media info.
I'm running bottom up Tray1 Ceramic rings, tan foam. Tray2 tan foam, carbon. Tray3 Tan foam with Blue/white floss on top. Change out floss and rinse foam weekly....most of the time.
thank you for the details im ganna order the carbon and floss from petco now so i can pick everything up at once.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back