Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on with my goni. I keep my levels stable at the below parameters.

Alk - 8.3 ppm (normal daily swing)
pH - 8.2 ppm (normal daily swing)
No3 - 6.0ish
Po4 - .06
Salinity - 1.024 (slowing climbing to 1.025)
Ca - 430
Mag - 1350

I maintain my phosphates with Trisodium Phosphate and my nitrates with Sodium Nitrate.

Daily addition of phyto to the water column while my skimmer is off (8hrs per day) and oyster feast every 5 days or so.

And I am running the RB Photon V2+ over the tank at the following channel levels

1- 20
2- 20
3- 55 (climbing to 60)
4- 20
5- 55 (climbing to 60)
6- 55 (climbing to 60)
goni.jpeg

Medium flow, but nothing crazy... Perhaps too high in the tank and too much light? He is located about 10" down from surface of water and about 24" below the fixture.

If there is something I should be testing for that I'm not, please let me know? Thanks in advance!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my gonipora are on the bottom or mid way up, but I’ve found some of them can be just downright difficult to please. I’ve lost a few of them over the years, mainly smaller ones.

They certainly need light because I have a few struggling near the bottom because of corals growing above them

Also maybe play around with flow, and your water parameters look fine.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can raise acros like weeds. Goni's I keep for 6 months -- growing nicely -- and then BAM! It closes up and dies a couple days later. I don't get it. I don't feed anything other than fish poo, so maybe I am missing something.

@FarmerTy propagates these (or at least used to) so maybe he has an idea.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Huey_Gnr

Huey_Gnr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my gonipora are on the bottom or mid way up, but I’ve found some of them can be just downright difficult to please. I’ve lost a few of them over the years, mainly smaller ones.

They certainly need light because I have a few struggling near the bottom because of corals growing above them

Also maybe play around with flow, and your water parameters look fine.
I thought my about picking up a Tunze to provide a varying flow through the tank. Have your done better in a low flow area? Because I can tuck him around structure to break up the flow.

dricc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed daily. A mixture of red sea aminos ab +, soaked with reef roids, zooton, phyton and reef blizzard xtreme colors. The mixture is not a large amount and my tank is a 120. My nutrients are low since my bio load in the tank is small.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Huey_Gnr

Huey_Gnr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got advice from someone who has awesome results w them. He suggested supplementing Aqquaforest MN (manganese) . I have started a few weeks ago and mine are responding great..
Thank you. That is exactly what I was just looking for. I will go with aquaforest.

1ocean

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. That is exactly what I was just looking for. I will go with aquaforest.
I am glad I could help and play it forward.. I am only able to find it on BRS...Its like 24 bucks but you dont use alot.. I got two bottles a while ago and still only in my first one...Doing research to see if there is a tester for it. I am only manual dosing into the 300 a little each week. Afraid to over do it...

1ocean

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I just reread your post. My goni and the guy I got advise from all have them on the floor of the tank. My 300 is 96x30x24 and my lights 4 Radion XR30 blue and 3 Kessil A360X. They are mounted 16" from tank top. I am running the Radions on LPS schedule at 30% ramp from 11am to 7pm and the kessils total blue at 50% ramp from 7am to 9pm. The tank has now respnded great to this . I added the kessils for that shimmer I wanted and to add more blue. My goni , zoas and LPD love it now. I also added 4 birdnest SPS to top of tank and they love it and are growing. My plan is to slowly keep modify the radion light schedule. I would move your goni to the bottom of the tank..but that is my advise from what I have been told and learned ...you can check out my thread for pic of lights mounts and design... Have a great day and do not hesitate to to reach out to me...

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back