Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so heres some context. currently on a cruise for 4 days will return in around 1 and 1/2 days time. had a timer on my lights, but not sure if it works because it was a last minute purchase and didnt have the time to test it. currently im using aquaknight A029 at 10% white and 90% blue at around 40% intensity. my question is, will my corals be affected by the time i reach home? if so what are the measures i should take in case my timer doesnt work?
will any of my corals die?
IMG_20230315_011317_002.jpg
16 gallons tank

AquaCave Logo Banner

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. There is no way to definitively answer - so lets take it in 2 parts
a. The timer is working - no problem
b. The timer is leaving the lights on all the time - may very well be a significant problem - big enough - that I would ask someone with a key to your house to go over and check. The lights on that long could kill everything (or severely stunt them). I would suggest sending someone over when the lights are supposed to be off - if they are on - I would unplug them until you get back. If there are dying things - I would suggest that they contact an LFS to help with the problem until you get home.

The good news is - its a short period (this happened to me for 7 days). I would try to take immediate action. But - curious - why are you thinking the timer isn't working? Another suggestion (which I learned through experience) - never EVER make changes to your tank just before a vacation. Hope this helps - and hope everything turns out ok - including your vacation

OP
OP
B

bryan:))

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. There is no way to definitively answer - so lets take it in 2 parts
a. The timer is working - no problem
b. The timer is leaving the lights on all the time - may very well be a significant problem - big enough - that I would ask someone with a key to your house to go over and check. The lights on that long could kill everything (or severely stunt them). I would suggest sending someone over when the lights are supposed to be off - if they are on - I would unplug them until you get back. If there are dying things - I would suggest that they contact an LFS to help with the problem until you get home.

The good news is - its a short period (this happened to me for 7 days). I would try to take immediate action. But - curious - why are you thinking the timer isn't working? Another suggestion (which I learned through experience) - never EVER make changes to your tank just before a vacation. Hope this helps - and hope everything turns out ok - including your vacation
the timer was simply to open and close the circuit connecting the light from time to time. i set mine from 8am to 3pm on a daily basis. however when i went to configure it to off 1 minute later, it didnt off. i was abit worried so i just decided to let it run. just really hoping nothing dies :>
been worrying about this the past 2 days, was thinking about asking my grandma to help me since she leaves 1 level below me but she barely knows anything about aquariums... just praying the timer is working...

Avast

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the timer was simply to open and close the circuit connecting the light from time to time. i set mine from 8am to 3pm on a daily basis. however when i went to configure it to off 1 minute later, it didnt off. i was abit worried so i just decided to let it run. just really hoping nothing dies :>
been worrying about this the past 2 days, was thinking about asking my grandma to help me since she leaves 1 level below me but she barely knows anything about aquariums... just praying the timer is working...
OK - so if you have a neighbor, or someone that can get in - have them check - that will allow you to enjoy the rest of your vacation. Otherwise - there is nothing you can do until you get home except enjoy your vacation. I know that sounds trite - but - it is what it is

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FnR
Back