Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP works for flame angels as well. I would always observe. Some might say treat with prazi for flukes but I personally wouldn't worry about since DT can be treated with prazi.
If I were to treat the eel with Prazi while in QT; would I do so as a separate treatment or during the CP?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to treat the eel with Prazi while in QT; would I do so as a separate treatment or during the CP?
Separate, just because it's an eel.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

4FordFamily

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Prazi also recommended for eels? Would it be necessary after the CP treatment? And how would I go about treating for Velvet as a precaution? Thank you so much for your guys time and advice!
CP treats velvet and ich. I would skip prazi if I were you and focus on CP. if you wish, afterward, if you want to prazi you can but you can do prazi in a DT if you found later that you had flukes..

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP treats velvet and ich. I would skip prazi if I were you and focus on CP. if you wish, afterward, if you want to prazi you can but you can do prazi in a DT if you found later that you had flukes..
Awesome! Thank you! Great quality advice from everyone.

4FordFamily

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So by the time I receive this eel, which is looking to be about a week from now, I will not have CP available. I can't for the life of me get a vet to fill a script without them seeing the eel and the closest vet willing to do that for me is 2 hours away. So with that, what are the suggested quarantine processes and treatments in quarantine for this eel? Let's say it shows no symptoms and I have planned on keeping him isolated for 4 weeks. Should I be treating for preventative measures? And if he shows signs of velvet, flukes, or what have you; what should I treat since CP won't be an option? Thanks again for the help!

Aaron

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So by the time I receive this eel, which is looking to be about a week from now, I will not have CP available. I can't for the life of me get a vet to fill a script without them seeing the eel and the closest vet willing to do that for me is 2 hours away. So with that, what are the suggested quarantine processes and treatments in quarantine for this eel? Let's say it shows no symptoms and I have planned on keeping him isolated for 4 weeks. Should I be treating for preventative measures? And if he shows signs of velvet, flukes, or what have you; what should I treat since CP won't be an option? Thanks again for the help!

I would closely observe for these key behavioral symptoms of parasites/worms inside his gills:
  • Reduced or complete loss of appetite.
  • Heavy breathing (which eels do naturally), scratching, flashing, head twitching, erratic swimming behavior.
  • Swimming into the flow of a powerhead (unique to Marine Velvet Disease).
  • Acting reclusive (velvet causes fish to be sensitive to light) - but eels are reclusive by nature anyways.
Passive observation in QT is a viable alternative to prophylactically medicating, but it demands more of your time and requires more attention to detail. You can't just put the QT on autopilot. You have to sit down in front of the QT each & every day (15-20 minutes), and watch closely for signs of disease and study the fish's behavior. Put simply, a sick fish just won't act right.

CoreyWakefield123

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. And no to antibiotics. No need to use them unless you have an infection, IMO.
You are quite the Guru when it comes to this stuff. As I said before on the other thread I have never quarantined and I feel a bit lost as to the many conflicting ideas out there. I really want to have an ich and other disease free tank, this 265 is my dream tank! My desired stock list includes...
Mind you these are just fish I like, the must have will have a * in front, I dont want to overstock since I'll be doing a lot of SPS
Purple, *blue, *Desjardini and *Achilles tang (as we've discussed) Maybe for nutrients sake just the Desjardini, Achilles and Blue
*Zebra Moray
School of Green Chromis
*School of Anthias (differing varieties)
*Pair of Clowns
*Diamond watchman Goby
*Pair of Mandarin Dragonets (Added at least after 2 years of the tank running)
*Blue dot Jawfish
Foxface
Flasher wrasse
Clown Goby

I am new to quarantine and would like to know what you recommend as a method. I'm thinking TTM for the dragonets and eel? And Cupramine with prazipro for the rest. I've heard conflicting levels of copper, anywhere from 0.8-2? How long do you keep them in the copper? I've heard 2 weeks or the whole 72 days? During the time your doing water changes only if the ammonia alert indicates it, and adding additional copper? Do you treat prazipro just at the end and for how long or for the duration. I want to cover all my bases and do this right

4FordFamily

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are quite the Guru when it comes to this stuff. As I said before on the other thread I have never quarantined and I feel a bit lost as to the many conflicting ideas out there. I really want to have an ich and other disease free tank, this 265 is my dream tank! My desired stock list includes...
Mind you these are just fish I like, the must have will have a * in front, I dont want to overstock since I'll be doing a lot of SPS
Purple, *blue, *Desjardini and *Achilles tang (as we've discussed) Maybe for nutrients sake just the Desjardini, Achilles and Blue
*Zebra Moray
School of Green Chromis
*School of Anthias (differing varieties)
*Pair of Clowns
*Diamond watchman Goby
*Pair of Mandarin Dragonets (Added at least after 2 years of the tank running)
*Blue dot Jawfish
Foxface
Flasher wrasse
Clown Goby

I am new to quarantine and would like to know what you recommend as a method. I'm thinking TTM for the dragonets and eel? And Cupramine with prazipro for the rest. I've heard conflicting levels of copper, anywhere from 0.8-2? How long do you keep them in the copper? I've heard 2 weeks or the whole 72 days? During the time your doing water changes only if the ammonia alert indicates it, and adding additional copper? Do you treat prazipro just at the end and for how long or for the duration. I want to cover all my bases and do this right
1.75 PPM copper power, Hanna copper checker. Use metroplex as well.

For eels I would use CP. @HotRocks just got a giant golden puffer through copper no problem though. Some eels can handle it. TTM doesn’t treat velvet so I would be nervous using it and assuming the dish are safe. With anthias you’ll want to add the metroplex for sure as it’ll treat brook and uronema.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

Use metroplex instead or in addition to spectrogram.

Be careful with CP that you don’t have any poly in the filter as it’ll remove the meds. Keep in observation with other fish afterward to make sure it worked as CP has been shaky.

If you wish to try copper, I have gotten some eels through.

A bigger concern I have though is mandarins and small fish with eels. Mandarins are slow and easy prey for eels, I don’t recommend this pairing at all :/

CoreyWakefield123

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.75 PPM copper power, Hanna copper checker. Use metroplex as well.

For eels I would use CP. @HotRocks just got a giant golden puffer through copper no problem though. Some eels can handle it. TTM doesn’t treat velvet so I would be nervous using it and assuming the dish are safe. With anthias you’ll want to add the metroplex for sure as it’ll treat brook and uronema.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

Use metroplex instead or in addition to spectrogram.

Be careful with CP that you don’t have any poly in the filter as it’ll remove the meds. Keep in observation with other fish afterward to make sure it worked as CP has been shaky.

If you wish to try copper, I have gotten some eels through.

A bigger concern I have though is mandarins and small fish with eels. Mandarins are slow and easy prey for eels, I don’t recommend this pairing at all :/
Thanks for all your help! The zebra I had in the past was super dumb and could barely grab the shrimp in front of his face. I'd heard from many sources they have had no issues with them eating fish, just shrimp. It's a gamble for sure but I know people have been successful with it.
Just so I'm understanding correctly
For the eel, you'd use just cp?
The mandarins only cp?
Anthias copper power and metroplex ?
For all other fish you'd treat with copper power and metroplex, for how long?

Do you mix the metroplex in food or just dose it?

I was planning on using a regular HOB filter so your saying with the CP I should remove filter media or just the poly fluff type stuff?

I found CP on ebay but don't know if it's legit.

4FordFamily

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ebay CP has some questionable purity, fishman is where we get ours.

Mandarins and eels would be good CP candidates, yes.

Feeding metroplex or GC (which contains metro) would be advisable, yes!

CoreyWakefield123

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ebay CP has some questionable purity, fishman is where we get ours.

Mandarins and eels would be good CP candidates, yes.

Feeding metroplex or GC (which contains metro) would be advisable, yes!
Ok last question...s
I know there are recommendations out there but I'd be interested in what you do.
How long do you treat with CP and at what dosages?
How long do you treat with copper power at 1.75 ppm? And then observe for how long? I'm assuming you do a large water change after treatment
Sorry for all the questions, its what you get for being so knowledgeable!

4FordFamily

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok last question...s
I know there are recommendations out there but I'd be interested in what you do.
How long do you treat with CP and at what dosages?
How long do you treat with copper power at 1.75 ppm? And then observe for how long? I'm assuming you do a large water change after treatment
Sorry for all the questions, its what you get for being so knowledgeable!
60mg and same timeframe as copper but I suggest 80mg these days, had some CP trouble so I’d recommend the higher dose. Both are 14 days then transfer to a completely sterile QT that shares no equipment or water with the first.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back