Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rimless Tanks have a unique look to them that can lead to a minimalistic design. I am wondering what is your opinion on these tanks. Do you currently have one and enjoy it? Or is it something you might want in the future. Curious to hear everyone's input!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

nuxx

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a nearly rimless 150 gallon frag tank...

Was a little worried about going full rimless and had them add the powercoated steel.

frag03.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Rimless are some of the most beautiful tanks! Of course there are pros and cons of both rimmed and rimless but for me the only real issue with rimless was how easy it is to drop water down the front! :p

Nutramar Foods

vabben

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a rimless, and will never buy another. Eurobrace is the way to go.

Scraping glass is a pain just due to how easy it is to splash water out. Eurobrace gives you a place to set cutters, food, etc when you are working on your tank and need an extra hand.

AS

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We always have rimless as our homes tend to be more modern and industrial in feel. I like the look of rimless but don’t like:

1. Having to get the lights and often fans mounted cleanly. I have tried hanging them off a 10’ ceiling and using narrow optics (nope). Running the power cord along thin wire and plugging them in in the ceiling (meh). Using 4 arms. On an AIO? No. 4 big clamps made it difficult to work in.

2. the lid needs to be clean and…exist. A canopy should help prevent fish-a-cide.

I am going to have to make some lids for our new tank and am waiting for the tank to figure that out. Probably clear mesh and plastic screen door kits. I just need to do a better job of rinsing them.

Im using an RMS mount that I slid some carriage bolts on to hang my additional Kessils from (not pictured). I used a single RMS arm to connect to the tank to keep it from swinging and to give me somewhere to run wires.

This is the temporary tank (note the skimmer and refugium light). I plan on adding more kessils (not pictured sitting on floor lol) between the Radions, removing the fans on the backside, and cleaning it up a bit but cable management isn’t my strong suit. A canopy would hide all this.

D512FE27-3BAE-45BC-BEDE-99E841E74924.jpeg

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rimless tank can look stellar. It becomes less stellar after you figure out lighting. A thin t5 hybrid with thin led panels like the ap9x is decent looking and functioning combo. A single pendant being totally minimalist but not being the best in function depending on what’s in the tank. As far as drips and splashes, I actually think they’re easier to wipe down and keep clean every rimmed tank I’ve had had salt creep around the bracing which without detailing tools could be a nuisance. If any water splashed on the brace, it would continue to drip for like an hour after wiping it down as it gets between the glass and rim where you can’t get to it. A rimless with the Kessil a500x light recessed into the ceiling above is super minimalist but again not the best in function.

edit. I forgot to mention light spill. Ugh…..

Evil1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not into rimless. To me rimless is like a fine piece of art without a frame to draw your eye to it. Besides I hate seeing a water line in any tank. A rim allows you to fill up just above bottom of rim. Just my opinion

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back