Going FOWLR…help me evaluate my options!

Drill or chill?

• Drill for sump w/skimmer

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Chill and use FX canisters with bio/chemical media

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Moomee

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory: bought a like new 210g (72x24x29) that I had intended to setup for SA cichlids in the new house we are building. I’ve decided to take the plunge and go FOWLR as I’ve always dreamed of doing a big one but never had the space or resources.

Dilemma: the tank come with two Fluval FX4 which would have been awesome for cichlids, but after a lot of research, it’s clear that opinion is mixed on using them for FOWLR. Pros of those would be that I already have them and wouldn’t have to spend more $$, plus I wouldn’t have to drill. I have drilled lots of tanks, so that doesn’t worry me too much, but the cost of a nice overflow, plumbing, return pump, skimmer, sump, etc… adds up really quickly. So with that in mind, is it worth the additional time and money ($1000+) to go sump?

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory: bought a like new 210g (72x24x29) that I had intended to setup for SA cichlids in the new house we are building. I’ve decided to take the plunge and go FOWLR as I’ve always dreamed of doing a big one but never had the space or resources.

Dilemma: the tank come with two Fluval FX4 which would have been awesome for cichlids, but after a lot of research, it’s clear that opinion is mixed on using them for FOWLR. Pros of those would be that I already have them and wouldn’t have to spend more $$, plus I wouldn’t have to drill. I have drilled lots of tanks, so that doesn’t worry me too much, but the cost of a nice overflow, plumbing, return pump, skimmer, sump, etc… adds up really quickly. So with that in mind, is it worth the additional time and money ($1000+) to go sump?
Absolutely worth it! If you’re going true FOWLR like puffers and triggers etc you’ll thank yourself for having a sump to be able to run a huge skimmer and additional filtration options that you just don’t have going without one.

OP
OP
Moomee

Moomee

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely worth it! If you’re going true FOWLR like puffers and triggers etc you’ll thank yourself for having a sump to be able to run a huge skimmer and additional filtration options that you just don’t have going without one.
If I do go that option, what should I be looking at for filtration in addition to the skimmer?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giving your experience with drilling tanks I would say 100% drill.
for sump you can get a petco 60br & some glass form a glass shop and bam you got a custom made sump.

sumps are nice. keeps your DT clean. you can have an oversized skimmer, filter roller or socks/floss reactors and heats all in there and out of the tank.
plus it will increases you total water volume.

I am a big sump person on anything over 50ish gallons. even more so for messy eating fish.

OP
OP
Moomee

Moomee

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely want a sump for fowlr or you will deal with a ton of algae issues. For me though soft corals really help with nutrient reduction and don’t need expensive lights
I’m not planning on having large, aggressive fish, but would like some butterflies. I think I could probably find some softies that even butterflies would avoid!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another option if you dont want to drill but still want a sump. life reef make a great HOB overflow only one I would trust with power outages. but again giving your experience with drilling I say drill it and go for a sump.

do the FX4 have a easily removable prefilter like the Oase filters do?

OP
OP
Moomee

Moomee

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another option if you dont want to drill but still want a sump. life reef make a great HOB overflow only one I would trust with power outages. but again giving your experience with drilling I say drill it and go for a sump.

do the FX4 have a easily removable prefilter like the Oase filters do?
I’m not concerned about drilling, the big decision is really just the cost of the overflow box, sump, skimmer, filter roller, return pump, etc… vs the FXs that I already have.
Not sure what you mean by the pre filter, but the FXs have to be shut off and the lids taken off to access any of the internal filtration.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be cheap. Drill it and add a sump and $$$ skimmer. Lol

You asked because you know… it is what you should do.. do it right the first time imo.

If you can afford the cost of fish to fill it in the market, then you can afford to drill it.

Petco has their 50 percent off sale going plus an additional 15 percent off with pickup orders. Can get thes sump that way. They even have their 60 breeders for 85 bucks.

OP
OP
Moomee

Moomee

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be cheap. Drill it and add a sump and $$$ skimmer. Lol

You asked because you know… it is what you should do.. do it right the first time imo.

If you can afford the cost of fish to fill it in the market, then you can afford to drill it.

Petco has their 50 percent off sale going plus an additional 15 percent off with pickup orders. Can get thes sump that way. They even have their 60 breeders for 85 bucks.
To be clear, I do know the best option (sump), but the question was more cost-benefit of spending $1000-1500 more on a sump versus the canisters I already have.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear, I do know the best option (sump), but the question was more cost-benefit of spending $1000-1500 more on a sump versus the canisters I already have.

1000-1500 seems high unless you want to buy a pre made sump and colored pvc.

PVC is fairly cheap at Home Depot and a petco tank is around 60-100 bucks depending what size you want. Last time I had glass baffles made it was 45 dollars (this will vary but still). A gate valve is 30? Overflow can’t be the other 800+, I think they run around 150-300? Two modular marines would be 300 total and give you dual overflows to work with.

My guess is this is around 500 dollar project?

I don’t feel canisters have nearly the benefit as a sump since a sump basically is limitless in what you can do. Skimmers, scrubbers, fuge, rectors, a place to carbon dose and so on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moomee

Moomee

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where do you get 1000-1500 for a sump?

PVC is fairly cheap at Home Depot and a petco tank is around 60-100 bucks depending what size you want. Last time I had glass baffles made it was 45 dollars (this will vary but still). A gate valve is 30? Overflow can’t be the other 800+, I think they run around 150-300? Two modular marines would be 300 total and give you dual overflows to work with.

My guess is this is around 500 dollar project?

I don’t feel canisters have nearly the benefit as a sump since a sump basically is limitless in what you can do. Skimmers, scrubbers, fuge, a place to carbon dose and so on.
I was thinking $250 for Petco 60b+plumbing+baffles, $100 for return, $250 for overflow, $300 for skimmer. That's $900 and if I add a filter roller or any other filtration its bumping up against $1500 easy.

That said, I'm definitely leaning that direction. I could recoup some of the cost by selling the FXs. That might at least cover the skimmer or roller :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking $250 for Petco 60b+plumbing+baffles, $100 for return, $250 for overflow, $300 for skimmer. That's $900 and if I add a filter roller or any other filtration its bumping up against $1500 easy.

That said, I'm definitely leaning that direction. I could recoup some of the cost by selling the FXs. That might at least cover the skimmer or roller :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

FYI, The petcos 60 is on sale right now. I bought one this week for 90 after tax. Order online for extra discounts for pick up. The sale runs till April 1st but ofc you need to get it when they have it in shock. They do get tanks in throughout the sale so check back if they are out.

I forgot the return but I bought a used regal skimmer for 100 dollars. Kind of got lucky there. Actually my Eheim return was bought used too but has been running 7 years now still and no idea what I paid for it anymore!

I use filter socks or floss which is a heck of a lot easier to keep clean than a canister. You don’t have to have a roller if it’s not in the budget.

Remember a skimmer also is great for aeration too, not just for waste removal. So that’s a nice little perk.

Even if all you did was put a sump together and put the same media in it as you would a canister. It would still give you the extra volume, a place to hide all equipment and be easier to clean :p

Last edited:

LPS Bum

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve run my 240 gal FOWLR for 15 years with a canister filter and an undersized HOB skimmer. It’s packed with big fish (I think I have 10 Angels) and it does great.

Lots of live rock and sand, and a good amount of flow. Simple, easy and effective. I’d say go with the canisters and enjoy the tank.

OP
OP
Moomee

Moomee

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run my 240 gal FOWLR for 15 years with a canister filter and an undersized HOB skimmer. It’s packed with big fish (I think I have 10 Angels) and it does great.

Lots of live rock and sand, and a good amount of flow. Simple, easy and effective. I’d say go with the canisters and enjoy the tank.
Do you do a lot of water changes? What is your canister maintenance schedule like? What media do you have in the canisters?

LPS Bum

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you do a lot of water changes? What is your canister maintenance schedule like? What media do you have in the canisters?
Just sent you a much more detailed message, but yes. I do water changes every 3-4 weeks and run extensive mechanical, biological and chemical media in my canister filter. And of course a couple hundred pounds of live rock, live sand, and a HOB skimmer as well.

Francis Kukulya

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sent you a much more detailed message, but yes. I do water changes every 3-4 weeks and run extensive mechanical, biological and chemical media in my canister filter. And of course a couple hundred pounds of live rock, live sand, and a HOB skimmer as well.
Well you certainly have a W/C routine, filtration and the biological end covered !
I had a 75g FOWLR with a canister and it ran very well .

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AVAST
Back