Going away for 2 weeks what do you do when traveling abroad?

BRS

Tim'sReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Tomorrow I will be leaving for Spain, 2 weeks of sun and beach. Now, this is my first time leaving for so long while having a reef tank. Tops was 4 days of not seeing it, and while am happy I can travel again, I'm a bit anxious for leaving for so long (started my first reef in the first covid lockdown here in Holland). Any tips or advice are appreciated.

Here is what I have done to set the tank up for leaving.

- The neighbor is feeding the fish. She had previously done my nano on smaller trips.
- I have set up my tunze ato with a backup a gravity ato from my tank originally.
- Have RO water stored. (100+ liters).
- Indications for where the water line is supposed to be and where the temps need to be.
- 2 heaters, both on temp controllers.
- Refuguim for my nutrient export.
- Left the phone number of my LFS and informed them that I would be leaving.
- Dosing pump handles the ALK en Cal.
- Backup return pump on standby.

Like said, any more tips always appreciated. Maybe I'm just stressing too much, I remember Jake saying in one of the reef therapy podcasts that he doesn't worry about his tanks, but he misses them while he was traveling. I'm going to stick with that too.

Top Shelf Aquatics

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have things covered. I like to write stuff down and provide a picture of the sump and what all the parts are for your neighbor.

Since you are leaving soon I assume you have done all routine tasks. My experience on one vacation I should have changed my dosing tube. I came back to a low alk due to my kalk doser slowing down.

Avast
OP
OP
Tim'sReef

Tim'sReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have things covered. I like to write stuff down and provide a picture of the sump and what all the parts are for your neighbor.

Since you are leaving soon I assume you have done all routine tasks. My experience on one vacation I should have changed my dosing tube. I came back to a low alk due to my kalk doser slowing down.
Yes every dosing container topped up and done the maintenance things. I'm gonna take a picture of the sump nice tip.

OP
OP
Tim'sReef

Tim'sReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont do anything to the tank a few days before you leave. I left for nine weeks and had someone feed, run the cleaner magnets, drain the skimmer and add top off water to the ATO. SPS and fish were fine.
Nice one on the skimmer, I skim very dry so the cup should last more than 2 weeks but i will get her to check on it just in case.

Corals.com

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan... I have always strived for as much automation as possible (including fish feeder) but of course that can't account for the potential unexpected equipment failure. Pretty much only thing not automated is water change but I don't do often anyway. Take a leap of faith, relax and enjoy your vacation. I've been away 5+ days and all good especially if you have someone to look in on things.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tim! When I head over the pond I setup the following:

* a Wyze camera aimed at my sump and tank
* 2 heaters both on Inkbird controllers with the face temperature numbers aimed at the Wyze. I put one of the heaters in my tank and the other stays in the sump.
* 2 Eheim automatic fish feeders set to run at different times. If one fails, then the other one keeps the fish from starving.
* an automatic airstone in case of power failure.

On hand is a backup return pump as well as an ATO pump. I use a much larger than normal plastic container for my ATO water.

I also have extra saltwater and ATO water made up in case of an emergency. I have two friends as backup in case they need to come by my house.

Enjoy your vacation!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Southwest Aquaculture - a coral lover's dream!
Back