Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing your water (kits) and Can you post pics of your tank under white lighting ?
Disregard nitrites unless they are sky high. Nitrates are elevated pointing to water and filter. I see you mentioned HOB filter. Part of your issue is lack of filtration. Your hang on unit is mechanical filtration and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The HOB will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of iological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces.
Ammonia spikes may have been
PXL_20230416_001956987.jpg
very possible and often undetectable after the spike event. At minimum, add a hang on Skimmer unit such as Ice Cap K1-50 or K1-100 to remove inorganic waste and adding oxygen
As for green water. . . Is your tank at or near a window? This time of the year, UV rays gain intensity and will send a tank green in a hurry

Nutramar Foods
CLICK TO VIEW

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
AquaCave Logo Banner

RaymondL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase surface and water agitation, change the filter floss often - every 2 days or so. If water is green, get yourself a UV sterilizer such as the Green Killing Machine - actually, get it anyways as it should help with any bacteria bloom.

Don't give up!

Nutramar Foods

RaymondL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a 50% water change. Adding bioballs and new filter floss and cartridge my water is no longer green but it is still cloudy (milky)
What size tank do you have, and what type/brand of filtration are you using, and how long has the tank been running?

OP
OP
KentuckyKenny

KentuckyKenny

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have, and what type/brand of filtration are you using, and how long has the tank been running?
It's a 40 gallon breeder. Using a dual HOB filter with biowheel and added filter floss and ceramic balls. Tank has been going since January

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need more flow/and surface agitation and time greening of the water is to be expected over time and that’s why the waterchange helped that. Keep doing that and and water flow it will turn around eventually.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Avast

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a simple way for you to have an awesome tank with almost no effort.

take that crap rock out and get yourself some ocean live-rock air freighted to you. Try out 30 lbs from somewhere like KP aquatics or Tampa bay saltwater. Let the tank sit for a week or two. Then you should be good to go! Easy button.

BRS

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your guidance and suggestions. I woke up this morning to a clear tank. I am happy
Hooray! So glad to hear that. Just remember that it is a hobby. There is, was, will be work to do. There will be high points and low points. Part of the enjoyment for me is spending the time doing the tasks.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back