Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've about had it. Between milky cloudy water, green water, dying fish and inverts hiding so that they can't be enjoyed and the expense of everything. I have just about given up. I just want to enjoy some fish.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sucks, hopefully you can find a remedy for the issue. What are tank specs, filtration, etc.? Are you using rodi water? Do you have propper test kits (not api brand)? How are you measuring salinity? Are you quarantining fish? Corals are usually the harder part of the hobby, but fish can be trouble too especially if there is some sort of illness. Cloudy and green water is usually due to dosing something or filtration issues.

Reef Review YT

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sucks, hopefully you can find a remedy for the issue. What are tank specs, filtration, etc.? Are you using rodi water? Do you have propper test kits (not api brand)? How are you measuring salinity? Are you quarantining fish? Corals are usually the harder part of the hobby, but fish can be trouble too especially if there is some sort of illness. Cloudy and green water is usually due to dosing something or filtration issues.
All agreed. Do you run a UV sterilizer? That could help with a lot of sickness issues.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I saw you make a post about dying fish, you never answered the questions asked from those trying to help. It also seemed your tank was overstocked, 3 angels in a 40 breeder.

Success can be found in this hobby but you have to be willing to take criticism/advice and stock your tank appropriately, do lots of research, and possibly quarantine (depending on source of fish).

Avast

adittam

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've about had it. Between milky cloudy water, green water, dying fish and inverts hiding so that they can't be enjoyed and the expense of everything. I have just about given up. I just want to enjoy some fish.
There have been months and months between your posts, with absolutely zero follow up on questions members have asked you to try to help. Help us, help you.

OP
OP
KentuckyKenny

KentuckyKenny

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current specs.
Ammonia. 0
Ph. 8.2
Nitrites. 0
Nitrates. 40
Phosphate 10
Salinity 1.025

Dual HOB filter with added floss.

After my total tank die off I took down my tank and I moved to a new apartment. I started the tank up again in January. I am in a wheelchair and also spent some time in the hospital lately. I want to have some fish because quite frankly that is the only hobby I can participate in. My water has been cloudy and now green for a couple weeks now.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal is to have fish and since you have physical limitations, have you thought about freshwater fish ? A freshwater tank is so much easier than a saltwater tank.

Although cloudy water, green water and algae are all problems that you will encounter also if you don’t do your research well.

I wish you the best.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current specs.
Ammonia. 0
Ph. 8.2
Nitrites. 0
Nitrates. 40
Phosphate 10
Salinity 1.025

After my total tank die off I took down my tank and I moved to a new apartment. I started the tank up again in January. I am in a wheelchair and also spent some time in the hospital lately. I want to have some fish because quite frankly that is the only hobby I can participate in. My water has been cloudy and now green for a couple weeks now.

Did you re-use the sand? and rock?

There is likely a lot of debris/organic material from taking down the tank and setting it back up if you re-used the rock and sand (sand is more problematic).

Excess organic material can cause an algae/bacterial bloom.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Current specs.
Ammonia. 0
Ph. 8.2
Nitrites. 0
Nitrates. 40
Phosphate 10
Salinity 1.025

How are you testing your water (kits) and Can you post pics of your tank under white lighting ?
Disregard nitrites unless they are sky high. Nitrates are elevated pointing to water and filter. I see you mentioned HOB filter. Part of your issue is lack of filtration. Your hang on unit is mechanical filtration and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The HOB will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces.
Ammonia spikes may have been very possible and often undetectable after the spike event. At minimum, add a hang on Skimmer unit such as Ice Cap K1-50 or K1-100 to remove inorganic waste and adding oxygen
As for green water. . . Is your tank at or near a window? This time of the year, UV rays gain intensity and will send a tank green in a hurry

ScottJ

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kenny, FWIW, I've had this Evo 13.5 for a little over 3 years. Had every problem in the book, hair algae so bad I couldn't even see the shape of the rocks it was on. Killed a fair number of corals, too. It took about 2 and a half years, and the tank is FINALLY looking like I want it. Well, maybe not how I REALLY want it, but it's looking better, anyway. IMG_20230405_163115659.jpg
All I can add is just stick with it.

OP
OP
KentuckyKenny

KentuckyKenny

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing your water (kits) and Can you post pics of your tank under white lighting ?
Disregard nitrites unless they are sky high. Nitrates are elevated pointing to water and filter. I see you mentioned HOB filter. Part of your issue is lack of filtration. Your hang on unit is mechanical filtration and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The HOB will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces.
Ammonia spikes may have been very possible and often undetectable after the spike event. At minimum, add a hang on Skimmer unit such as Ice Cap K1-50 or K1-100 to remove inorganic waste and adding oxygen
As for green water. . . Is your tank at or near a window? This time of the year, UV rays gain intensity and will send a tank green in a hurry
Ok I'll add some ceramic balls I have. And I'll look for a skimmer. It is near a window and unfortunately I can't solve that problem. Too many windows.

AquaCave Logo Banner

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenny - someone else mentioned the possibility of going with freshwater. You can have a lot of fun with a planted freshwater tank, and reduce your effort a lot. It might fit your situation better, and it could be a stepping stone into saltwater in time. Just a thought.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok I'll add some ceramic balls I have. And I'll look for a skimmer. It is near a window and unfortunately I can't solve that problem. Too many windows.
For the window- this will be continuous, but you can place a sheet of black construction paper from walmart on the side that faces window and it will reduce the algae quite a bit.
As for those suggesting freshwater- If its color you enjoy- consider some african cichlids that require minimal care and offer lots of colors

1681604726808.png

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back