Giant Aiptasia???

mc-nuggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been putting off asking this for fear of ridicule, but I'm too curious now.

Are these GIANT AIPTASIA? My tank occasionally has tiny (regular) Aiptasia, but they mostly show up on another "Island" rock, all by themselves.

Anyways, these ones came on some live rock from Florida, and they've always been much bigger than regular Aiptasia.
Even if they are not Aiptasia, I would still be interested to know what type of anemone these are.

I've occasionally fed these guys, and I like having them in my tank-- feel free to roast me.

20240819_181243.jpg 20240819_181227.jpg

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not aiptasia but after looking online i cannot find another anemone that matches it! Maybe the resident nem expert can help ID @OrionN

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curly cue ? RFA babies ? think too big for wartys.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So I've been putting off asking this for fear of ridicule, but I'm too curious now.

Are these GIANT AIPTASIA? My tank occasionally has tiny (regular) Aiptasia, but they mostly show up on another "Island" rock, all by themselves.

Anyways, these ones came on some live rock from Florida, and they've always been much bigger than regular Aiptasia.
Even if they are not Aiptasia, I would still be interested to know what type of anemone these are.

I've occasionally fed these guys, and I like having them in my tank-- feel free to roast me.

20240819_181243.jpg 20240819_181227.jpg
Theyre getting plenty of food. Time to end them as they will multiply. Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought would be lightbulb nems (Bellactis lux). If so, they're not a pest nem.

These can look pretty different from one specimen to another, but you can compare with the photos in the link below to get an idea of some of the variations (the tentacles can inflate and deflate like a BTA):

OP
OP
mc-nuggs

mc-nuggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought would be lightbulb nems (Bellactis lux). If so, they're not a pest nem.

These can look pretty different from one specimen to another, but you can compare with the photos in the link below to get an idea of some of the variations (the tentacles can inflate and deflate like a BTA):
Yes! This is it! Thank you @ISpeakForTheSeas !

OP
OP
mc-nuggs

mc-nuggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd let you all know, I read that article and it turns out they are technically Aiptasia. A GIANT reef-safe Aiptasia.
Who would believe such a thing exists!
But I can attest, they stay in place, and after 1.5 years, I think there have only been 2 new ones that have shown up in the same group.
Crazy stuff.

Screenshot_20240819_214631_Firefox.jpg

OP
OP
mc-nuggs

mc-nuggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had another thought-- if berghia nudibranchs eat these lightbulb anemones, they would be ideal for berghia farming.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back