Getting Coral from tank with Cyano bacteria?

BRS

rongy

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, beginner reefer here. I’m about to get my first Euphyllia coral (frogspawn) from a local reefer. The coral is attached to a small live rock. The guy claimed that he had Cyanobacteria, GHA, and Hydroids in his tank.
1. How can I avoid introducing them into my tank? I will be dipping the coral in CoralRX, but I don’t know if that’s enough.
2. Should I cut it off from the rock and glue to new frag?
3. How bad is Cyanobacteria and Hydroids if I accidentally introduce them to my tank? My tank already has some GHA that’s under control, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Thanks for advance! I’ve been in this community for couple months and learned a lot here

Nutramar Foods

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydroids are usually temporary and rarely linger long in a tank. I don’t think they are as bad as lets say Aiptasia.
It is almost guaranteed that you already have cyanobacteria in your tank as they are ubiquitous, so introducing new batch will not be an extra risk. You just need to control parameters, lights and flow.
CoralRx is not going to eliminate cyanobacteria or algae. If you are worried use Iodine based coral dip, remove plug and use your own.

OP
OP
R

rongy

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydroids are usually temporary and rarely linger long in a tank. I don’t think they are as bad as lets say Aiptasia.
It is almost guaranteed that you already have cyanobacteria in your tank as they are ubiquitous, so introducing new batch will not be an extra risk. You just need to control parameters, lights and flow.
CoralRx is not going to eliminate cyanobacteria or algae. If you are worried use Iodine based coral dip, remove plug and use your own.
Thank you!

Nutramar Foods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydroids are usually temporary and rarely linger long in a tank.
...unless they are colonial hydroids and those you DEFINITELY don't want in the tank.

Agreed, cyano is already in every tank (it's in virtually every non-sanitized body of water/puddle/ birdbath/etc and will only be an issue if there are conditions for it to thrive.

Also agree that coral rx won't get rid of any of the things you mentioned - it's used to kill/stun invertebrates (worms, bugs, and will also kill pods, any other "animal" hitchhiker).

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I know if it’s colonial? Seems like I can visually inspect if they exist?
Ask your friend to show you the hydroids in his tank... You can search for photos of colonial hydroids and decide for yourself. If there are any on the coral or rock you're getting from him, reconsider that piece.

For extra bio-security in general, you can remove the coral from any rock or plug and reattach it to something already in your tank.

CLICK TO VIEW

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colonial hydroids are the only thing I've had to shut a tank down over... and I'm extremely conservative about handling pests - have never used flatworm exit or other chemical treatments and prefer a more patient, natural approach. I'm not in the "kill it with fire" camp when it comes to aiptasia either.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back