Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start this off with it hasn't been the best for a hot minute, but it gained alot of its color back. I think it's starting to get better. Anyway, it will not eat this little cut up shrimp I feed. It appears to stick for a minute but then he doesn't close around it or open his mouth to eat it. My Ultra Rose bubbletip will eat it just fine, he loves the mess. Is it just a picky eater? What other foods to try? Oh I also think it wasn't looking good because it was starved.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems dont do picky. If it wont eat its either full or sick/ still recovering/ not doing well.

A nem will not just "not do well because it was starved" unless you have inadequate lighting for them. More people dont feed nems than do feed them. They require a lot of light and dont require to be fed. I almost never feed mine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems dont do picky. If it wont eat its either full or sick/ still recovering/ not doing well.

A nem will not just "not do well because it was starved" unless you have inadequate lighting for them. More people dont feed nems than do feed them. They require a lot of light and dont require to be fed. I almost never feed mine
It's odd, the other nem is happy, but this one just isn't I guess. I doubt it's lighting. It seems to recently have gotten It's colour back and doing slightly better.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it chemical warfare with the other?
I doubt it. Zoas, torches, hammers, and anything else alive in the tank seems to be fine. I run Activated carbon. And the anemone does not improve with water change. It just stays the same.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A nem will not just "not do well because it was starved" unless you have inadequate lighting for them. More people dont feed nems than do feed them. They require a lot of light and dont require to be fed. I almost never feed mine.

Light doesn't provide nitrogen or phosphate so technically that statement is wrong unless the tank has an adequate amount of available nitrogen and phosphate input

Upvote 0

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe leave it alone. Broadcast feed and see if it collects, and holds, and then folds any food into its mouth. Forcing it to eat isn't going to solve anything and may make matters worse.

Observe.
Agree +1

Upvote 0

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start this off with it hasn't been the best for a hot minute, but it gained alot of its color back. I think it's starting to get better. Anyway, it will not eat this little cut up shrimp I feed. It appears to stick for a minute but then he doesn't close around it or open his mouth to eat it. My Ultra Rose bubbletip will eat it just fine, he loves the mess. Is it just a picky eater? What other foods to try? Oh I also think it wasn't looking good because it was starved.
Yeah…so I’m going to dissent here a bit.

I have two tanks. One, the anemones eat like pigs. The other, they don’t. No interest in food. It’s been 4 (5?) years and I’ve never lost one. They’re dinner plate sized BTA’s just living their best lives. There’s probably 20+ of them in there.

The only one that actually eats in the big tank is the mother, and she eats fish. A day after I put her in the tank she ate a yellow tang. She’s kind of a giant ***** if I’m honest. I can find her amongst her children because she’s the only one who takes food.

I don’t believe eating is a clear and present sign of something wrong.

Stop offering if it doesn’t want the food. Maintain stability. Let it be.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I had some unexpected water swing and it's recovering. I can't see that being the case as nothing else in the tank was affected. I do dose zooplankton, coral amino, and sometimes spot feed reef roids. I make sure my nutrients are well maintained and sometimes it's a bit too much.

Upvote 0

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have fed mine a couple of times but it grabs it, swallows it, and then spits it back out. It basically refuses to eat but it's growing and happy. As mentioned above, they are photosynthetic and they get some nutrition from the light as well as the nutrients in the water.
IMG_1496.jpg

It's tripled in size since Black Friday.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fed mine a couple of times but it grabs it, swallows it, and then spits it back out. It basically refuses to eat but it's growing and happy. As mentioned above, they are photosynthetic and they get some nutrition from the light as well as the nutrients in the water.
View attachment 3078706
It's tripled in size since Black Friday.
What light are you running?

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Kessil
Back