Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a DT upstairs with a sump in the basement. Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't put the gate valve in the basement? For me, it would be much easier to access, since I don't want to crawl under the tank to reach it. Otherwise I'll have to make a pipe with a notched end to use as a key.

World Wide Corals

JGT

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason. It will be quieter in the basement as well. The only slight issue with it being in the basement is that for tuning the flow you may have to go back and forth between the basement and the DT. You don’t need to tweak that often however. After a while, you get to learn how much water is coming out of the e drain and don’t need to go back and forth.

AquaCave Logo Banner

JGT

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another tip is that the gate valves are extremely sensitive. So when adjusting do very small turns one way or the other. I’m talking like an 1/8th of a turn can be the difference.

waqas_01

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the basement location. I'm assuming this is going to be a full siphon drain you're talking about. You want the valve as close to the pipe exit as feasible so that the pipe above the valve is full of water.

If the valve is too high above the exit point you can get a partially filled pipe after the valve and that section of pipe would make noise as it drains to the sump.

As mentioned above, tuning for the right flow might be a bit of a pain at first, but I think its worth the reduced long term noise.

BRS

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a DT upstairs with a sump in the basement. Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't put the gate valve in the basement? For me, it would be much easier to access, since I don't want to crawl under the tank to reach it. Otherwise I'll have to make a pipe with a notched end to use as a key.
Herbie or bean animal?
+1 on basement. You always want it close to where the water dumps out so the whole line fills with water. If it doesn't, you will have a noisy line dumping out.

Plus a tip for basement sump owners:
No need to run up and down stairs.
Just watch the emergency line. When it's a slight trickle, there will be slight bubbles being made on the emergency line. If to much water flowing, lots of bubbles. If no bubbles, no water at all.
So I will close the line, wait for bubbles. Slowly open it until the bubbles are slow. If the bubbles stop I know I went to far. Just open it slightly.
If your worried about a flood, this is what the emergency is for. If you're worried, you have bigger plumbing problems.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NY
Back