Frozen food after power outage

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all. We just got power back yesterday after losing it for about 72 hours due to the hurricane. I have a bunch of frozen foods (PE mysis, LRS, etc.) in the freezer. We didn't open the freezer once, and when the power came back up, I checked the temperature and it was below 40F and all the chicken and beef in there was still frozen and good. The fish food was all completely thawed, though. I left it in there and it's now refrozen. Is it okay to use? I would hate to throw it out because it's pricey... but I want to be safe. Thanks.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all. We just got power back yesterday after losing it for about 72 hours due to the hurricane. I have a bunch of frozen foods (PE mysis, LRS, etc.) in the freezer. We didn't open the freezer once, and when the power came back up, I checked the temperature and it was below 40F and all the chicken and beef in there was still frozen and good. The fish food was all completely thawed, though. I left it in there and it's now refrozen. Is it okay to use? I would hate to throw it out because it's pricey... but I want to be safe. Thanks.
I’m sure it will be fine. I’ve accidentally left mine out on the counter multiple times to thaw and refrozen without any issues.

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the real question is what temperature did the fish food get to, and for how long was it at an elevated temperature? Generally the bad zone (for human consumption) is somewhere in the 40 F to 140 F range, but at 40 F I would think it would be quite a while before bacteria grew. Separately, it is safe to refreeze food if it were thawed at refrigerator temperatures (like 38 F). So to be safe, I would not eat it yourself. But again, this business of food safety is geared for humans so at least I don't really know what's safe for fish. My impression is that tropical fish will happily eat scraps of other sealife that has been at elevated temperatures (78 F) for quite awhile. I would think it's safe for your fish. Hope this helps.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it stayed cool, it should be fine. I get frequent power outages where I live, and this has happened to me multiple times, but the food has always been fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
As long as it remained cold- Just fine. At my LFS, I got delayed shipments which were starting to soften but still cold without issue

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back