Frogspawn unhappy for weeks

Reef_at_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My euphylia divisa green has been unhappy for a couple of weeks now, it only ever opens up about 30% and closes back up alot.
I have tested my parameters & the only thing i came across was high nitrates, wich i’m dealing with right now.

I tried dipping & placing it somewhere else but that didn’t seem to help.

Is there anything i can do to rule out problems?

I added a picture.
As you can see, my torch & hammer coral are perfectly fine at around the same spot.

IMG_0301.jpeg

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is a bit too young, IME. They look great until they don't...High (How high?) nitrate is not an issue by itself, but it means that your water column may be high in organic waste. I have used NoPoX before, and it got me cyano issues. I then moved to the TM products. Mind you, carbon dosing feeds the microbiom in your tank. A fully developed microbiome (FWIW, after about a year ) is obligatory for many LPS coral's survival . Getting rid of Nitrates and some phosphates should be considered a side benefit.

Orion1885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting do you have over the tank? Too much intensity may be the issue or your torch may not be playing nice?

OP
OP
Reef_at_Sea

Reef_at_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is a bit too young, IME. They look great until they don't...High (How high?) nitrate is not an issue by itself, but it means that your water column may be high in organic waste. I have used NoPoX before, and it got me cyano issues. I then moved to the TM products. Mind you, carbon dosing feeds the microbiom in your tank. A fully developed microbiome (FWIW, after about a year ) is obligatory for many LPS coral's survival . Getting rid of Nitrates and some phosphates should be considered a side benefit.
Tank is setup with alot of wild live rock & rock from an older tank & it actually developed nicely, i feel like that shouldn't be the problem.

Fun fact is that my tank is fishless because of disease (1 week to go, woop woop), wich means i have to dose phosphates to keep my tank healthy while using NoPoX.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say you need to provide more data for any kind of more accurate problem solving. Do you have any water params you can share?

OP
OP
Reef_at_Sea

Reef_at_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say you need to provide more data for any kind of more accurate problem solving. Do you have any water params you can share?
Sure, tested yesterday!

Temp: 25°C
Salinity: 1.024.
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 38 (dealing with it)
phosphates: 0.08 (higher dosage to compensate nopox dosing i started yesterday)
Alk: 8.3
Calcium: 420
Magnesium: 1430
Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0

He could be unhappy because of my phosphates being unstable, but that should mean that my torch & hammer coral should have the same problem? My hammer coral has been longer in the tank than the frogspawn.

Orion1885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers and frogspawn can be next to each other but usually torches need to be kept seperated. If i remember correctly hammers and frogspawn were recently reclassified as well

I had some frogspawns recently which were staying closed and i reduced my intensity from the lights and they started to open.

OP
OP
Reef_at_Sea

Reef_at_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers and frogspawn can be next to each other but usually torches need to be kept seperated. If i remember correctly hammers and frogspawn were recently reclassified as well

I had some frogspawns recently which were staying closed and i reduced my intensity from the lights and they started to open.
But the torch isn’t touching it at all, the torch is way closer to the hammer & the hammer is perfectly fine.

I could try moving it downwards in my tank where there is less light.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back