+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,
The other day I found about reef jars. And I’ve decided I’m gonna take a break from big aquariums and go with a reef jar for now :) This is the jar:
A46DEE1E-25FF-4A4D-BFDE-730E064044CB.jpeg

If you look closely you’ll see there is in fact a jar, inside of this jar, so you could call this build a JarJar. But don’t do that. I forbid you to do that.
I’m going to add more rock, some finer reef sand, and then I have to get a heater and such.

C O R A L S T O C K I N G P L A N S ~
Purple Frilly Gorgonian
Corky Finger Gorgonian
White Encrusting Gorgonian
Yellow Seawhip
Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoanthids
Unknown Zoanthid
Blueberry Stylophora
Season’s Greetings Encrusting Montipora
Basic Green Palythoas
Yuma Mushrooms

I N V E R T E B R A T E S ~
Mexican Turbo Snail x2
Baby Sand Dollar x2
Cleaner Shrimp

F I S H ~
I’m not quite sure about fish... I really wanted to do a clownfish but I don’t think that’ll work. I’m thinking of maybe putting a Chalk Basslet in there since he’s a really small fish with a big personality and he doesn’t like swimming out into the water column, he typically hides in the rocks and bottles. Also @Silent in the comments below recommended a yellow clown goby, and I kinda like that idea.

I’d like suggestions for what corals to add, if I should add any fish and what kind, & reef jar aquascape suggestions. No suggestions are bad, some just aren’t so great... but even ones that aren’t so great spark new ideas.

I hope all of you have a great day, God bless!

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

hart24601

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone put an anemone in a reef jar?
I know that might sound a bit off but I have a tiny anemone that I considered adding in.....

I have kept rock nems in jars no problem. I do hesitate on keeping fish in pico reefs, I just don’t think it’s a good idea.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept rock nems in jars no problem. I do hesitate on keeping fish in pico reefs, I just don’t think it’s a good idea.
I hope this doesn't sound sarcastic because I'm genuinely asking, but why do you feel that way? Nitrates? Filtration? Swimming Space? I'm just wondering if there was a way I could accustom for whatever could be a problem for the fish

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're willing to upgrade jars I don't think many fish will have a happy life in a 3 gallon jar
Ah, this is the biggest jar I could find. I'd really like a fish but if it'll bother the fish I can go without. I've heard of one type of small fish like a Blue eyed Blue fin Shoal fish? I don't remember but it was something like that...
Edit: I found it, the BlueBlack Blue Eyed Dwarf Rainbowfish

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this doesn't sound sarcastic because I'm genuinely asking, but why do you feel that way? Nitrates? Filtration? Swimming Space? I'm just wondering if there was a way I could accustom for whatever could be a problem for the fish

Honesty all of them. You have to feed them which makes nutrient management tricker in a jar just to provide them with a tiny space to live in that is prone to stability issues that in my experience corals are ok with but can be hard on fish. Reef jars with coral are pretty easy to have success with corals, but adding fish ups the maintenance and difficulty. I also don’t feel fish are needed for an interesting pico display with inverts available.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Sosuke

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honesty all of them. You have to feed them which makes nutrient management tricker in a jar just to provide them with a tiny space to live in that is prone to stability issues that in my experience corals are ok with but can be hard on fish. I also don’t feel fish are needed for an interesting pico display with inverts available.

+1 This is also of concern with keeping fish in a jar

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea I think I know what you're talking about. 1 or maybe 2 of those may work but finding them may be a challenge
I'd probably do three with open rockwork since the males typically need two females so they don't beat one up. I can order the fish themselves for $45 I believe

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honesty all of them. You have to feed them which makes nutrient management tricker in a jar just to provide them with a tiny space to live in that is prone to stability issues that in my experience corals are ok with but can be hard on fish. Reef jars with coral are pretty easy to have success with corals, but adding fish ups the maintenance and difficulty. I also don’t feel fish are needed for an interesting pico display with inverts available.
Would weekly water changes help with a fish? I plan on doing a three quarter water change every week.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would weekly water changes help with a fish? I plan on doing a three quarter water change every week.

Those big W/C are really key in any jar fish or not. I personally just am not convinced reef jars are suitable for fish and the fish also makes the jar less suitable for corals. There are a couple jars that have been going over a decade and they are pretty adamant about no fish.

It’s just my opinion though. Part of what makes these jars run so well is the simplicity. One feeding a week right before a waterchange, start messing with that and the difficulty spirals up really fast. Without fish they are very easy. I would say at least try it without fish and see what you can get to grow, get a shrimp or hermits and see if that’s enough.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!!

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F31FFED8-A9FC-4674-A86C-F1966831FD42.jpeg

I woke up to it leaking. There’s a crack. No idea from what but this sucks! Oh well, laissez-faire, I don’t know if I can return it and I don’t want to buy a new one so anyone recommend a way of patching it? I’ve heard of baking soda mixed with superglue?

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

GrapevineReefs

Chalices & Carnations
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a panda goby that I love. The little guy is way less than an inch long and clings to rock work. Reef safe for me outside of acro’s which they seem to live in and nibble on. Just a thought for a pick reef fish. Can’t recall a smaller retail available SW fish

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back