Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal any desire to do a similar write-up for medicated dips like what is commercially sold as Safety Stop? I know these dips are not as effective as a true quarantine process but in the spirit of "doing something" is better than "doing nothing", I figured your expertise would be valuable. People knowing there is an option between full quarantine and immediately adding a new fish to the DT would reduce the unnecessary loss of livestock simply because people don't have the space or patience for a quarantine setup and don't know there is something more they can do.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal any desire to do a similar write-up for medicated dips like what is commercially sold as Safety Stop? I know these dips are not as effective as a true quarantine process but in the spirit of "doing something" is better than "doing nothing", I figured your expertise would be valuable. People knowing there is an option between full quarantine and immediately adding a new fish to the DT would reduce the unnecessary loss of livestock simply because people don't have the space or patience for a quarantine setup and don't know there is something more they can do.
Actually, the Fish Medics and I recently discussed publishing a “short quarantine” process, for people who aren’t willing/able to run our full protocol. At this point, the consensus of the group was to not do that - the efficacy is just so much poorer, we didn’t feel it wise to give folks an “easy out” option that looked like we felt it was sufficient. I’ll keep the idea open though…..
Thanks,
Jay

Mjl714

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the pH of tap water in Ireland, but here in the US, most tap water has a pH above 7.5, so if fine to use as-is (better than RODI water). You need to match temperatures and most people dechlorinate (but I often don't). Then, hold the fish in the FW for 5 minutes with aeration (not that the fish needs it, just to keep the fish moving a bit so you can better assess its condition).

FW dips really have minimal effect on ich trophonts though - they are mostly useful for dislodging flukes.

Jay
I’m surprised to hear in your use of tap water you “often don’t” dechlorinate the tap water, am I reading this correctly?

Top Shelf Aquatics

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do fresh water dips going in or out of quarantine, or when quarantined fish I purchased via the interweb are acclimated to the DT. It has been a part of my acclimation process forever. I've always adjusted pH to 8.0-ish. I thought the adjustment was required regardless of the water source. You learn something new every day. Thanks Jay.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised to hear in your use of tap water you “often don’t” dechlorinate the tap water, am I reading this correctly?

Correct - it really isn’t all that important. Chlorine is slow to cause death, the FW itself will kill the fish long before the chlorine would.

Dechlorinators are not all that innocuous if overdosed like people sometimes do with small volumes of water.

Dechlorination is fine if dosed correctly, but it isn’t necessary.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
LA
Back