Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put a foxface in that tank of any size, especially without a skimmer. IMO skimmers are perhaps more important for aerating the water than they are for removing inorganics. A large fish in a smallish tank with no skimmer is a difficult position to start from.

BRS
OP
OP
RhondaB

RhondaB

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank?

If it is a nano type.. a foxface would outgrow it in a year.

If you need stuff for algae...

tuxedo urchin, trochus snails, algae blenny, emerald crabs, etc.
Have a good cleanup crew including urchin. 35g

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
RhondaB

RhondaB

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank will not support that amount of fish and one being a foxface. I'm sorry.
Last year I had a small tank crash (about a year ago). At that time I had 2 clowns, mandarin, blenny, jawfish, fire fish and green clown goby with no issues. The 2 clowns and mandarin were saved out of the bunch. Anytime I’ve had a foxface it’s only been with a few other fish including the clowns. I asked before purchase if it was suitable and was given the green light until they got to a certain size.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a good cleanup crew including urchin. 35g

I definitely don't feel a 35g is big enough for a foxface. The problem is because they grow VERY FAST compared to most fish... so buying one as a baby is not really the answer either. They grow really large too! They eat food by the truckloads so even if they eat algae.. they also poop a lot. It could effect water quality.

I would try and find something else to add instead. Maybe a lawnmower blenny or a molly miller?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxfaces need hiding spots as mentioned before your 35 g just can’t provide that no matter how much live rock you add. They will only last a week to a month like yours have and die from constant stress.

OP
OP
RhondaB

RhondaB

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put a foxface in that tank of any size, especially without a skimmer. IMO skimmers are perhaps more important for aerating the water than they are for removing inorganics. A large fish in a smallish tank with no skimmer is a difficult position to start from.
Great advice. Thank you!

Jwise

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a chemical that aquatrivo makes that raises ph in saltwater without raising alk i forget its name but i would suggest picking it up to help keep your ph up. I have used it before and it works the way its intended.

Nutramar Foods

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a chemical that aquatrivo makes that raises ph in saltwater without raising alk i forget its name but i would suggest picking it up to help keep your ph up. I have used it before and it works the way its intended.
This is called "balance" and it will raise your ALK even though it claims not to. I have personally used it in the past when I felt the need to chase pH.

Last edited:

jtf74

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer would work the best to keep ph up if you have a sump i would suggest to get a skimmer.
Even a hang on skimmer. Skimmers are a pretty essential piece of a reef tank if you have large fish and bioload. Your parameters aren't terrible though. Have these foxfaces come from the same source? (sorry if asked already)

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year I had a small tank crash (about a year ago). At that time I had 2 clowns, mandarin, blenny, jawfish, fire fish and green clown goby with no issues. The 2 clowns and mandarin were saved out of the bunch. Anytime I’ve had a foxface it’s only been with a few other fish including the clowns. I asked before purchase if it was suitable and was given the green light until they got to a certain size.
Green Light from the LFS I suppose.
They need to sell things to stay in business.
We are offering best advise on what we all have experienced and we are not selling anything to you, it's all free.
We want nothing from you but to succeed in your reefing endeavors.

Jwise

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer is basically as important as a sump to some regard. Both do tremendous amounts of good for your reef tank. And both can raise your ph and add more stability to your tank.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back