Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PH in my tank went up to 9.2 when the Kalk dosing straw got in to the inch think Kalk residue at the base of the reservoir. Now my tank is snowing! Whoops.

IMG_2560.jpeg

BRS
OP
OP
P

plippert21

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah… Apex is reading “Bad Alk Range”. Checked with salifert twice, 4.8. So consumption went way up at that PH range? I am dosing 8L a day or fully saturated Kalk and 40ml of bionic part 1. Hard to believe this.
Been there, done that. Just let it come down naturally. Did you check your alk?

Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah… Apex is reading “Bad Alk Range”. Checked with salifert twice, 4.8. So consumption went way up at that PH range? I am dosing 8L a day or fully saturated Kalk and 40ml of bionic part 1. Hard to believe this.

Overdosing of limewater (kalkwasser) causes a massive preciptiation event that can bring alk down below where it was before the overdose.

The tank is now filled with seed crystals for more precipitation. I'd be careful to not raise the pH and alk that much for a while, until these surfaces get coated with other stuff to reduce that potential. Myabe just use sodum bicarbonate to bring alk to 6-7 dKH.

OP
OP
P

plippert21

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overdosing of limewater (kalkwasser) causes a massive preciptiation event that can bring alk down below where it was before the overdose.

The tank is now filled with seed crystals for more precipitation. I'd be careful to not raise the pH and alk that much for a while, until these surfaces get coated with other stuff to reduce that potential. Myabe just use sodum bicarbonate to bring alk to 6-7 dKH.

You’re the man Randy! Will do.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my generic advice for limewater overdoses:

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The following important points should help in dealing with a limewater overdose:

1. Don't panic! These overdoses do not usually cause a tank to crash.

2. The primary concern is pH. If the pH is 8.6 or lower, you need not do anything. If the pH is above 8.6, then reducing the pH is the priority. Direct addition of vinegar or soda water is a good way to accomplish this goal. Either one mL of distilled white vinegar, or six mL of soda water, per gallon of tank water will give an initial pH drop of about 0.3 pH units. Add either to a high flow area that is away from organisms (e.g., a sump).

3. Do not bother to measure calcium or alkalinity while the tank is cloudy. The solid calcium carbonate particles will dissolve in an alkalinity test, and all of the carbonate in them will be counted as if it were in solution and part of "alkalinity." The same may happen to some extent with calcium tests. Wait until the water clears, and at that point, alkalinity is more likely to be low than high. Calcium will likely be mostly unchanged.

4. The particles themselves will typically settle out and disappear from view over a period of 1-4 days. They do not appear to cause long term detrimental effects to tank organisms.

5. Water changes are not necessarily beneficial or needed in response to a limewater overdose.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
P

plippert21

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my generic advice for limewater overdoses:

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The following important points should help in dealing with a limewater overdose:

1. Don't panic! These overdoses do not usually cause a tank to crash.

2. The primary concern is pH. If the pH is 8.6 or lower, you need not do anything. If the pH is above 8.6, then reducing the pH is the priority. Direct addition of vinegar or soda water is a good way to accomplish this goal. Either one mL of distilled white vinegar, or six mL of soda water, per gallon of tank water will give an initial pH drop of about 0.3 pH units. Add either to a high flow area that is away from organisms (e.g., a sump).

3. Do not bother to measure calcium or alkalinity while the tank is cloudy. The solid calcium carbonate particles will dissolve in an alkalinity test, and all of the carbonate in them will be counted as if it were in solution and part of "alkalinity." The same may happen to some extent with calcium tests. Wait until the water clears, and at that point, alkalinity is more likely to be low than high. Calcium will likely be mostly unchanged.

4. The particles themselves will typically settle out and disappear from view over a period of 1-4 days. They do not appear to cause long term detrimental effects to tank organisms.

5. Water changes are not necessarily beneficial or needed in response to a limewater overdose.
Great game plan and super helpful.

Im on day 3 now and have seen my Alk increase when my PH gets below 8.6. Remarkably spot on with what you are saying above. You may know what you are doing ;).

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Deltec
Back