For those of you with MP60’s how do you keep them from sucking in air?

Ecotech Marine

Wiskey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I have a pair of MP60’s on a 300 gallon tank about 14 inches under the waterline. It is an sps tank so I want all the flow I can get, but I have them 14 inches under the waterline and they are still pulling down air when running at 45%. Are people using a cover for the top of the wet side or something that I’m not using? The tank is 25 inches tall so much lower isn’t really an option.

I’d love to hear tips! I have a 3d printer if people are printing something to help.

thank you!
Whiskey

Top Shelf Aquatics

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah full power my MP40's will do the same thing if not right depth. Think mine are about 10" from center but running lower speeds now and they are getting old and no problem. I'd love to hear of a solution of them pulling a vortex other than letting them get dirty.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I had issues with mine set up either side of the overflow, as the water channeled easier there due to the relative reduction of area to draw water from.

Sounds like a great excuse to go white starboard bottom to me!
I don't have a ton of sand, and what sand I do have is mainly in the back. The front area of my tank is pretty sand free, but I have Goni's and torch's and such down low that wouldn't appreciate being blasted very much. Maybe I should try and figure out how to make a little cover for the top 1/8 or so of the wet side. 3d print it or something.

Whiskey

naterealbig

pea brain
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a ton of sand, and what sand I do have is mainly in the back. The front area of my tank is pretty sand free, but I have Goni's and torch's and such down low that wouldn't appreciate being blasted very much. Maybe I should try and figure out how to make a little cover for the top 1/8 or so of the wet side. 3d print it or something.

Whiskey
Makes sense - I'm going with a mixed reef myself, and while I'm going bb, i understand the challenge. With some minimal diy skills, i think it would be easy enough to source a thin piece of abs (I'm thinking Amazon/ebay here , and zip tie a 'shield' to a portion of the top of the cage. Incidentally, the first gen or 2 of the MP40 had a shelf built into the cage itself.

You'll lose a bit of flow, but the 60s are monsters.

9B732584-7720-46DE-A5E6-606F7C7F106B.jpeg

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back