Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to look into my clean up crew stocking! I am unsure of how many and what members I need. I am really interested in an emerald crab, is the evo suitable for one size wise?
I keep one in the evo 5

Top Shelf Aquatics

Hairyteeth

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pygmy Hawkfish are super fun, very smart and have a ton of personality… highly recommended in the evo, as stated not a Hawkfish but behave just like them, look like them and smell like them lol
I had a Pygmy wrasse but it went carpet surfing unfortunately, forgot to put the lid on after feeding live brine, sad day
I brought up the wrasse because they can really cover allot of ground and felt that the Pygmy Hawkfish is a waaay better fit for the evo

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
L

Lou's Reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pygmy Hawkfish are super fun, very smart and have a ton of personality… highly recommended in the evo, as stated not a Hawkfish but behave just like them, look like them and smell like them lol
I had a Pygmy wrasse but it went carpet surfing unfortunately, forgot to put the lid on after feeding live brine, sad day
I brought up the wrasse because they can really cover allot of ground and felt that the Pygmy Hawkfish is a waaay better fit for the evo
Definitely getting the pygmy hawk when I can find a decent price online, or I can have my LFS order it. Are the Pygmy hawks ever aggressive towards smaller inverts? My only worry would be the hawk sharing the sanded with a pistol shrimp and goby.

s1oliver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I wait for an algae problem before adding the crab?
I had one that I used to feed a sheet of dried algae attached to a clip to make sure he had enough to eat, as soon as my hand left the tank he came out and started munching on it.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
L

Lou's Reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just say no to crabs.

I would not trust a Royal Gramma in a tank that size. Mine was a real jerk. Their personalities are hit or miss.

You should check out a Possum Wrasse. Very cool little guys and totally peaceful.
Thank you I'm definitely steering clear of aggressive fish. Wrasses are my favorite fish in general so far, and the pygmy wrasse is amazing for my build. But I'm worried if I don't add the wrasse first it will never come out and swim around.

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I'm definitely steering clear of aggressive fish. Wrasses are my favorite fish in general so far, and the pygmy wrasse is amazing for my build. But I'm worried if I don't add the wrasse first it will never come out and swim around.
My Possum Wrasse was shy at first, but after about a week, it was cruising around regulary picking at the rocks.

reaper93

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I wait for an algae problem before adding the crab?
Yes I would def make sure there is a readily available food supply or else he may not be so reef safe. I have some bubble algae and a more mature tank with random algae and I have no issues with the crab with coral

Top Shelf Aquatics

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first reef tank and I have just began my cycle. The setup is fully stock but I plan on getting a i tank filter basket, and a power head in the near future. Do any other evo owners have stocking recommendations for my set up. Preferably beginner level fish and I am steering clear of clowns and damsels for now. I am also lookin for invert and CUC recommendations as well. Looking forward to updating this thread as I progress and happy reefing!

View attachment 2761803
For a cleaner look I would recommend you upgrade return pump to an adjustable Sicce 1.0 and add a randomized flow nozzle. Firefish do well in such a popular tank and you might want to search R2R for more suggestions. Good luck

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely forgot to mention this but all of the fish I mentioned in my post at least are jumpers. There’s that little feeding hole in the top of the Evo lid… I actually had a female Ruby Ted Dragonet that was half of a mating pair jump out through that hole. I’d suggest getting a small piece of netting or really anything to cover that when you’re not actively feeding your fish. That was such a bummer for me!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
L

Lou's Reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I am interested in how things go for you. I definitely like the idea of planning everything and avoiding any impulse livestock purchases.
Thanks! I'm a highs school student so my budget is limited but I did intense research for months and made a spreadsheet for my full expenses. So far everything is in the budget range and my parents are on board and super interested! All is going very well.

OP
OP
L

Lou's Reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep dragonets in tanks that small
Very awesome fish but I haven't researched enough yet, from what I know they seem pretty hard to care for. Correct me if I'm wrong but they are not a beginner fish right?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
L

Lou's Reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a cleaner look I would recommend you upgrade return pump to an adjustable Sicce 1.0 and add a randomized flow nozzle. Firefish do well in such a popular tank and you might want to search R2R for more suggestions. Good luck
My first upgrade will probably be the intank media basket and a power head. In the future I do want a new pump and RFG.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Innovative Marine - Made to Order
Back