Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a Fluval 32.5 with the upgraded pump, 2 media baskets (aftermarket) and an extra Fluval marine 3.0 light in the canopy.

I keep my house at 72 degrees. I hadn’t been running a light cycle at all as I’m cycling my tank. Yesterday, I got my first Nitrites, so I decided to set up a decent light cycle.
So I run the white no higher than 55, but purple and Blue are up at 100 during peak lighting periods.
Problem comes in that I think the 2 LEDs are causing a temp spike. It’s only 1-1.5 degrees up during the light cycle, but as I want to have a mostly softie/LPS reef with a couple fish, I need more stability. I was 77.5 on the money for 3 days, then today during light cycle 78.6.

Is this spike normal during light cycles? And how do I compensate for it?

Will running the heater a little cooler help?
I apologize if this specific issue has been addressed before, but I couldn’t find it, and it’s not like I can move the lights up off of the aquarium as they’re built into the hood.

thanks in advance,
Chad

Nutramar Foods

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a Fluval 32.5 with the upgraded pump, 2 media baskets (aftermarket) and an extra Fluval marine 3.0 light in the canopy.

I keep my house at 72 degrees. I hadn’t been running a light cycle at all as I’m cycling my tank. Yesterday, I got my first Nitrites, so I decided to set up a decent light cycle.
So I run the white no higher than 55, but purple and Blue are up at 100 during peak lighting periods.
Problem comes in that I think the 2 LEDs are causing a temp spike. It’s only 1-1.5 degrees up during the light cycle, but as I want to have a mostly softie/LPS reef with a couple fish, I need more stability. I was 77.5 on the money for 3 days, then today during light cycle 78.6.

Is this spike normal during light cycles? And how do I compensate for it?

Will running the heater a little cooler help?
I apologize if this specific issue has been addressed before, but I couldn’t find it, and it’s not like I can move the lights up off of the aquarium as they’re built into the hood.

thanks in advance,
Chad
This is normal for a set up like this. A small swing is no big deal, as long as it doesn't get very hot. If you're running the closed top on the flex, I do suggest that you put in an air stone because these fluval tanks are quite well sealed and your fish can suffer for it. It can be in the back.

If your tank over heats, you can blow a small fan over the water. Believe it or not, even a small clip on fan pointed down at the food opening (which is quite small) is enough to bring a fluval flex down a couple of degrees. But watch your evaporation!

OP
OP
Killervector

Killervector

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your response. I’ll run an air stone in the back, and see if that helps. Home from work tonight and I was up 2 degrees.
I’ll definitely keep an eye on evaporation if I go the fan route.

I was hoping that my reefwave 25 would circulate water enough not to need an air stone. Good thing is I’m learning the ins and outs while cycling. Thanks ChrisV. It’s sincerely appreciated.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your response. I’ll run an air stone in the back, and see if that helps. Home from work tonight and I was up 2 degrees.
I’ll definitely keep an eye on evaporation if I go the fan route.

I was hoping that my reefwave 25 would circulate water enough not to need an air stone. Good thing is I’m learning the ins and outs while cycling. Thanks ChrisV. It’s sincerely appreciated.
These closed lids are great for keeping evaporation down but not great for gas exchange. I have one of the 15 gallon ones and even with the mp10 running I had fish at the surface at night when o2 is at it's lowest.

An alternative to an air stone if pf course running a protein skimmer.

I am always concerned about heat issues as I had a heat induced tank crash a few months into my flex. My lighting is a kessil a360we that sits directly into a hole I cut in the stock lid...so I am adding a LOT of heat. Try to find a used apex in the market place section, or through your local reef club. It's great to be able to observe this stuff from afar on hot days, to get a push notification to your phone if there is a real problem, and to know that it can start automatically turning things off for you (or turning a fan on!) if needed on a very hot day.

paragrouper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These closed lids are great for keeping evaporation down but not great for gas exchange. I have one of the 15 gallon ones and even with the mp10 running I had fish at the surface at night when o2 is at it's lowest.

An alternative to an air stone if pf course running a protein skimmer.

I am always concerned about heat issues as I had a heat induced tank crash a few months into my flex. My lighting is a kessil a360we that sits directly into a hole I cut in the stock lid...so I am adding a LOT of heat. Try to find a used apex in the market place section, or through your local reef club. It's great to be able to observe this stuff from afar on hot days, to get a push notification to your phone if there is a real problem, and to know that it can start automatically turning things off for you (or turning a fan on!) if needed on a very hot day.
I have the same tank and the same problem. I am considering fabricating a 4” spacer from black PVC sheets to sit under the lid and raise it. I plan to drill numerous holes in the back portion to add a touch of ventilation.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back