+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am trying to figure out flow for my standard 55 gallon - i tried my old jebao wavemaker from ~2010 (had 2 on my 200gallon and was good - but think its 2500-5000gph (too old to find ) but on low setting is way too strong
i currently have 3 sicce 925gph pumps, in 3 corners, and there are some gentle sways in the hair algae for the first 24 " - one pump barely creates a current to the end of the tank, which is surprising to me but perhaps 925 is less than i thought and after 2 months they are starting to vibrate some - even if not touching the glass - is a motor thing with 2 of them (not the issue in the thread tho )
i do have sand but not afraid to hit it harder
trying not to spend a ton but was hoping one or 2 pumps from one end could generate decent current to keep things clean and i am looking to do sps/some lps as the tank settles in
the reefbreeders v2 with controller and ability to connect a 2nd pump looks good (what i am looking for), but seeing not great reviews - seems poor longevity is becoming more common but perhaps this is not really a concern

thanks for any recommendations or thoughts

Nutramar Foods

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excluding your return pump (3-5x flow seems fairly standard), 10-20x supplemental flow with wavemakers is generally the rule of thumb. So for your tank, 550-1100Gph max (with all wavemakers combined) plus your return flow. If you have an airstone it sometimes makes it easier to work out your flow (you can follow the trail of bubbles).

OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @blaxsun , thanks - so no sump/return pump or airstone; I want more flow than what i am getting and i feel that perhaps the pumps are not putting out the amount they should be.
~3000gph should be making a decent current and disturb the water surface fairly well
i will be experimenting and try to find a controllabe pump that lets me wave make a little too.

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @blaxsun , thanks - so no sump/return pump or airstone; I want more flow than what i am getting and i feel that perhaps the pumps are not putting out the amount they should be.
~3000gph should be making a decent current and disturb the water surface fairly well
i will be experimenting and try to find a controllabe pump that lets me wave make a little too.
How is your filtration setup? Do you have a HOB (hang-on back) unit?

OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have hob skimmer and two hob filters - one for macro and one for carbon/gfo - all are fairly low flow; i have typically had higher flow tanks, and hoping for recommendations on pumps, many are pricey but the cheaper ones seem to break down quickly if the reviews are correct

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i have hob skimmer and two hob filters - one for macro and one for carbon/gfo - all are fairly low flow; i have typically had higher flow tanks, and hoping for recommendations on pumps, many are pricey but the cheaper ones seem to break down quickly if the reviews are correct
can you post pic of setup? While the two filters offer could flow and trap some sediment, you are lacking some areas of filtration . The powerheads are likely adequate but back to filtration, the HOB units are mechanical filtration. You still need chemical which is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO.... Skimmer will help but not total answer.
Also , biological which is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces.
A HOB refugium would benefit you over the two power filters and be more effective.
You can get good pumps without breaking the bank. . . . . Nero 3, cobalt, sicce and Jebao SLW series.

JCM

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Used Tunze. Cheap and last forever.

OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks - as above, i do have a essentially hob fuge, with macro grow (i did not say but also with a filter pad essentially for particulates) and good amount of LR (see my build thread) but looking for powerhead/flow suggestions primarily - have not looked at nero or cobalt - will check them out and tunze is also good to look at - used to have some of those
my main issue is i want to keep any detritus in the water column so is filtered
due to space, no sump fo rnow

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Cultivated Reef
Back