Flow in Sump

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - just curious if it is of any benefit to add flow to your sump? Not just flow from the return pump and skimmer, but an additional small powerhead.

I don’t have the room for a full on refugium, but I do have some rock for pods and what not to live.

Do I leave the flow as is? There is practically no detritus build-up but curious if some higher flow in a sump is beneficial.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a power head running in mine. Don't know if it makes any difference or not, actually. Just seemed like a good idea.

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a power head running in mine. Don't know if it makes any difference or not, actually. Just seemed like a good idea.
That’s kind of why I wanted to ask the question. It makes complete sense in my mind but at the same time it could affect water velocities and overall flow if it isn’t meant to be…. Maybe?

ChrisfromBrick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking this today actually. I think it’s a great idea if you aren’t running a refugium. I cleaned my protein skimmer and in doing so realized how much build up of detritus there is in the sump. Been having some minor cyano issues.

Think i’ll give it a try and see if it helps.

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking this today actually. I think it’s a great idea if you aren’t running a refugium. I cleaned my protein skimmer and in doing so realized how much build up of detritus there is in the sump. Been having some minor cyano issues.

Think i’ll give it a try and see if it helps.
I’m thinking I will too. I try and turkey baste my sump weekly when I do a water change. But there’s always gonna be some somewhere

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did in my 20gL sump. And I should have. With my next build, I'm putting a small powerhead in there. It's just a good idea.

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a small cheap Amazon powerhead in the compartment my kalk drips into. I also have 2 in my refugium to keep the gracillaria circulating. It helps IMMENSELY with detritus.

It probably also helps with aeration (through surface agitation) but I have no way to quantify that.

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a powerhead there to quickly mix everything I dose. Drip hoses right above pump flow, same chamber as return pump.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small cheap Amazon powerhead in the compartment my kalk drips into. I also have 2 in my refugium to keep the gracillaria circulating. It helps IMMENSELY with detritus.

It probably also helps with aeration (through surface agitation) but I have no way to quantify that.
I guess it would, wouldn't it.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back