Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was fantastic! Love the tour of the sump (and still love that heater holder array). Great setup!

Thank you. First try at this . I can only get better!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job on the video! Only problem is for me - no one in south Louisiana has a basement. :) I do Brutes on wheels right up to the tank. Siphon out with a nice sized hose into an empty one and pump the fresh saltwater from the other Brute right back in. Doesn't take long and still no lifting. Everyone has their own routine and yours is a nice and easy one. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. - I hope you are feeling back to normal.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job on the video! Only problem is for me - no one in south Louisiana has a basement. :) I do Brutes on wheels right up to the tank. Siphon out with a nice sized hose into an empty one and pump the fresh saltwater from the other Brute right back in. Doesn't take long and still no lifting. Everyone has their own routine and yours is a nice and easy one. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. - I hope you are feeling back to normal.

Yep, anything to make maintenance easier is worth it!

Thanks for asking! Yep, doc says I'm slowly getting better!:)

User

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video- thanks for taking the time.

Remind me- your panworld pump is plumbed through the back edge of the return section near the bottom? So it will still run even if you drop that level to about 5 gallons? That’s great- I like that you can do a water change without turning anything other than your ATO off.

I have a 29 gallon that my overflows feed into, then that drains through 2 x 1.5” bulkheads into a 125. I **** off heaters, pump, Ato and skimmer, turn a valve to dump to drain, close valve, hit a RF switch that activates my water station pump to refill, then turn everything back on. 25 gallon change in 13 minutes. My heaters are in the wc tank, so they need to be off to change. If I move then to the return area, I can flip a couple valves to bypass the wc tank, and do it with everything running, but I haven’t added the extra plumbing yet.

Thanks!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video- thanks for taking the time.

Remind me- your panworld pump is plumbed through the back edge of the return section near the bottom? So it will still run even if you drop that level to about 5 gallons? That’s great- I like that you can do a water change without turning anything other than your ATO off.

I have a 29 gallon that my overflows feed into, then that drains through 2 x 1.5” bulkheads into a 125. I **** off heaters, pump, Ato and skimmer, turn a valve to dump to drain, close valve, hit a RF switch that activates my water station pump to refill, then turn everything back on. 25 gallon change in 13 minutes. My heaters are in the wc tank, so they need to be off to change. If I move then to the return area, I can flip a couple valves to bypass the wc tank, and do it with everything running, but I haven’t added the extra plumbing yet.

Thanks!

Sound like you have a good system to do water changes!

Thanks for the question about the sump. Yes, it has two holes with bulkheads on each end of the sump. These were drains and returns with over flow boxes when i bought the tank. I cut the overflow boxes out and capped one hole on each side with bulkheads and pvc pipe and caps.

So one side is for the return pump and the other is for the drain to the house plumbing.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

User

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post 6 has a great pic of your drains etc- should have looked back first. Thanks

My build is currently in pieces awaiting re-assembly. we moved from TN to ATL GA 6 months ago and only now getting things organised. i used the same system on my old build, with a 10gallon overflowing into a 40b sump, but im scaling things up a bit. 180DT in wall between living room and office, basement sump room, and filtration will be 29g overflow/wc tank- 125 g skimmer/return/refuge - 29G cryptic refugium.

been held up by county inspectors checking the work of a contractor who did a kitchen and bathroom remodel the past 4 months. supposed to take 6 weeks. They arent going to issue permits for the basement fishroom work until its cleared up with him, but hes gone awol. any day now though, ill 'break ground' on it.

your build and ideas have been an inspiration. thanks for sharing it with us!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post 6 has a great pic of your drains etc- should have looked back first. Thanks

My build is currently in pieces awaiting re-assembly. we moved from TN to ATL GA 6 months ago and only now getting things organised. i used the same system on my old build, with a 10gallon overflowing into a 40b sump, but im scaling things up a bit. 180DT in wall between living room and office, basement sump room, and filtration will be 29g overflow/wc tank- 125 g skimmer/return/refuge - 29G cryptic refugium.

been held up by county inspectors checking the work of a contractor who did a kitchen and bathroom remodel the past 4 months. supposed to take 6 weeks. They arent going to issue permits for the basement fishroom work until its cleared up with him, but hes gone awol. any day now though, ill 'break ground' on it.

your build and ideas have been an inspiration. thanks for sharing it with us!

Your welcome! Good luck with your build in the future! Take time and post a build thread here on reef2reef when you can.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don, that was a great video. I will make a video of my water change process when I get my tank up and running. I have been giving my family tours of my sump room so perhaps I will have my narration down. poor kids are like "mom is at it again" lol.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don, that was a great video. I will make a video of my water change process when I get my tank up and running. I have been giving my family tours of my sump room so perhaps I will have my narration down. poor kids are like "mom is at it again" lol.

Thank you. First time doing videos, can only get better. It's fun to do, I'm sure you'll enjoy doing yours! :)

User

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome! Good luck with your build in the future! Take time and post a build thread here on reef2reef when you can.

Yeah, I will definitely. I have a backlog of pics I’m storing, and I was waiting until I get it wet to post. Then continue on a diary of sorts as I TTM, quarantine and stock the tank.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back