+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have had this fleshy brain coral for several years. It has been in my new display tank for about 6 months and doing well. It is typically fully inflated, feeding tentacles are out, as is the today. However a few days ago I noticed the recession of tissue. You can see it here in the picture. No fish are bothering the coral and it receives good light (250 W metal halide) and medium flow. Parameters are all good (my acros are all solid with full PE), salinty is 34.4, Alk between 8.2 and 8.4, temp 77, PH 8.22. Everything extremely stable controlled with Profilux 4. Looking for advice. Let me know what you think.

IMG_8393.JPG

Nutramar Foods

miyags

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the recession.Looks like some old and a new spot.could be a little pest in there. for a pest an iodine dip or a bayer dip would work. If its bacterial maybe a iodine or peroxide dip. It doesn't look to bad right now,Have you tried to just feed it? I feed them little 1/4 x 1/4in piece of raw shrimp once a week.They seem to heal faster when fed.

OP
OP
choss

choss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the recession.Looks like some old and a new spot.could be a little pest in there. for a pest an iodine dip or a bayer dip would work. If its bacterial maybe a iodine or peroxide dip. It doesn't look to bad right now,Have you tried to just feed it? I feed them little 1/4 x 1/4in piece of raw shrimp once a week.They seem to heal faster when fed.
yes did start directly feeding it this week. I was thinking about the dip. On the iodine dip what do you use - an over the counter iodine?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A few things I would do:
As with mine, I elevate it slightly off the sand bed as if sand gets on them, they get irritated easily then comes stress.
They do best under moderate light and water flow. I would lower white light intensity and increase blue a little.

Temp. 77-79
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.2
Phosphate < .04
Nitrate < .05
Alk 8-9
Mag 1300
Ca 440

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

miyags

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Kent Marine Lugol's Solution... At least its feeders are out, thats good.They heal a lot faster when fed.It can take months to color up a translucent coral. When I dip I use a container just big enough to cover the coral in tank water and add enough drops to tint the water yellow usually about 10/15 drops.add coral, let sit for 15 min.

OP
OP
choss

choss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things I would do:
As with mine, I elevate it slightly off the sand bed as if sand gets on them, they get irritated easily then comes stress.
They do best under moderate light and water flow. I would lower white light intensity and increase blue a little.

Temp. 77-79
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.2
Phosphate < .04
Nitrate < .05
Alk 8-9
Mag 1300
Ca 440
the parameters in my tank are very similar. I will try to move it to a shadier spot. I do suspect a parasite so I think I'll start with a bayer dip and then tomorrow try the iodine. I don't have any handy in the house so I'll have to see what I can get off amazon prime

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back