Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 Hawkfish in 3 different tanks. Their main food is blender mix of clams, shrimp, salmon. Followed by live black worms, mysis, and krill. Have some fun and throw a small feeder guppy in the tank and see him go after that. That is what we fed them back in the '80's before I knew better.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME flame and longnose hawkfish have been fine with shrimp and small fish. Some of the other, larger species, weren't as safe once they got bigger.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the input and advice! I think I'm going to look into a diy simple mesh hood here in the next week or so. I don't have any cleaner shrimp, just crabs and snails. So far I haven't noticed any pecking at them.

Salt Kreep

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 4 year old Flame Hawk Jumped about 2 weeks after moving to a new house and a new tank. I say keep it covered. Flame Hawks are too cool and too personable to loose to something preventable like an uncovered tank top.

Avast
OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every flame hawkfish I've had has jumped. I haven't had a fish die besides jumping in years and my gap is only 1.5 inches..
At the moment I am unable to put a lid or cover over my tank. I'm gonna chance it for a week or 2 until I can get one built. Hopefully nothing happens. Had this lil guy for about a week now and nothing yet. He does like to swim towards the top of the tank and sits on my return nozzles which worries me a bit

Bdog4u2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment I am unable to put a lid or cover over my tank. I'm gonna chance it for a week or 2 until I can get one built. Hopefully nothing happens. Had this lil guy for about a week now and nothing yet. He does like to swim towards the top of the tank and sits on my return nozzles which worries me a bit
Pretty sure mine got chased out by my huge domino damsel and catching him has being pain without tearing down the tank he's too smart

gus6464

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flame Hawk likes to hang out here a lot. Was afraid that he was thinking about jumping out but I think he just likes the current there.

Hawk%20chill.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flame Hawk likes to hang out here a lot. Was afraid that he was thinking about jumping out but I think he just likes the current there.

Hawk%20chill.jpg
It's not so much the current as it is the high vantage point. Hawks love to be higher than their surroundings. They can see more that way.

Top Shelf Aquatics

gus6464

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of fish that are supposed to be chronic jumpers but none have even gotten close to the surface. I have had jumpers before in other tanks but the difference with this one is that I turned up the surface agitation to 11. Maybe jumpers don't like to get close to a super turbulent surface.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of fish that are supposed to be chronic jumpers but none have even gotten close to the surface. I have had jumpers before in other tanks but the difference with this one is that I turned up the surface agitation to 11. Maybe jumpers don't like to get close to a super turbulent surface.
That hasn't helped in my case. I have a lot of surface agitation as well, but have still had a handful of dartfish make it through my 1/4" screen top, and will occasionally hear my wrasses jump, but they hit the screen top.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion
Back