Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pixy hawkfish died last week.:( He was an older fish already when I got him 3 years ago. He had a great personality & temperament. He got along well with my other fish, including my Longnose Hawkfish. I would like to get a flame hawk in the future - actually prefer a pair. I have seen bonded pairs available.
1) I am correct that Flame Hawks are fairly mild in temperament for hawkfish?
I do not want any fish that would bully (especially not bully my jawfish or YWG).

2) I have seen bonded pairs, (in other species) get along as juveniles, then spar once older.
How do flame hawks usually act?

Thx!

World Wide Corals

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy juveniles simultaneously. There may be a couple of days of squabbling, but nothing serious.

Flame hawks are a very well behaved species and should ignore most other fish.

mort

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call them cheeky rather than aggressive as they can deliberately annoy other fish without doing any harm. By that I use my old one as an example that used to swim near my female clown, wait for her to move him on and then do a lap of the tank and come up behind her and start it all again. I think they are quite intelligent so need stimulation.

They seem easy to pair and I believe they change sex which makes it even more straightforward. Also from the pair I kept they seem longterm bonded species like long nose are. They can be pretty inseparable in fact. I've also seen them kept in harems.

Nutramar Foods

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call them cheeky rather than aggressive as they can deliberately annoy other fish without doing any harm. By that I use my old one as an example that used to swim near my female clown, wait for her to move him on and then do a lap of the tank and come up behind her and start it all again. I think they are quite intelligent so need stimulation.

Mine does the same, also with clowns. He's always teasing the clowns

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back