Flame Angelfish

albie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went into my LFS store today with the intention of purchasing or ordering a flame angelfish. When I asked for one, however, they told me they had stopped getting them in as they had been so delicate lately and had kept dying. Is this something other people are experiencing? Would you recommend skipping them and getting something else similar - if so, what? - or should I just go ahead with the original plan, but order elsewhere?

Arkayology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went into my LFS store today with the intention of purchasing or ordering a flame angelfish. When I asked for one, however, they told me they had stopped getting them in as they had been so delicate lately and had kept dying. Is this something other people are experiencing? Would you recommend skipping them and getting something else similar - if so, what? - or should I just go ahead with the original plan, but order elsewhere?
LFS in my area can get them. That being said, I got one about a month ago and it wasn't healthy from the get-go. It has issues swimming and slowly wasted away over a week. I will be making sure the next one has been in store for a week or two before taking it home.

OP
OP
A

albie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS in my area can get them. That being said, I got one about a month ago and it wasn't healthy from the get-go. It has issues swimming and slowly wasted away over a week. I will be making sure the next one has been in store for a week or two before taking it home.
Ugh, thanks for that input. I wonder if it’s just coincidence or there really is something going on with flame angelfish recently.

Linlox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this flame angel from reefbeauties.com on the 18th and he came out of the bag ready to roll, in fact these were the healthiest shipped fish out of the bag I have ever received, eating like pigs right away. They are in separate observation qt tanks right now.
20240918_112323.jpg

anoldreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my LFS pick up 3 smalls for me 2 weeks ago. All are really and well adapted. They get along nicely and eat everything.
I would assume that the local shops vendor is the problem. 20240921_101802.jpg

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one that was super health but sometimes they will nip at your corals

Arkayology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one that was super health but sometimes they will nip at your corals
Sometimes, yes. I have never had the nipping get to the point where it is impacting the health of the corals. The flame/cherub/flamebacks/etc. might nibble at the mucus, which will cause the coral or clam to retract, but not cause long-term issues. This has been my experience.

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, yes. I have never had the nipping get to the point where it is impacting the health of the corals. The flame/cherub/flamebacks/etc. might nibble at the mucus, which will cause the coral or clam to retract, but not cause long-term issues. This has been my experience.
The flame I had killed my elegance coral

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back