Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased from TSA 3 frags: Grape Ape, Blondie Zoas and Cherry Bomb acro for a delivery of Dec 7. Officially ran out of room for SPS now.

Keep checking multiple times each day the fish stock at TSM hoping for a change in stock. No adds in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my husband asked for a Christmas list. I gave it to him last thursday. I would have thought he would have bought everything already especially with Black Friday and Cyber Monday. It contained items from BRS. To make it easy for him, I placed what I wanted in my acct shopping cart. He could then delete what he didn't want to purchase and checkout. Well he just asked me what my sign on is because it wasn't working for him. So I was thinking I mistyped it in the email but no it was right. I sign on into my BRS acct and every item was sold out.

Black Friday I purchased online two fishes from TSM. They have been fully QT. I am just waiting on shipment date.

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6ABA1D7F-19D7-4DD8-81F3-EC3F3A82DDE2.jpeg

My Fishies have arrived!!!!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my husband asked for a Christmas list. I gave it to him last thursday. I would have thought he would have bought everything already especially with Black Friday and Cyber Monday. It contained items from BRS. To make it easy for him, I placed what I wanted in my acct shopping cart. He could then delete what he didn't want to purchase and checkout. Well he just asked me what my sign on is because it wasn't working for him. So I was thinking I mistyped it in the email but no it was right. I sign on into my BRS acct and every item was sold out.

Black Friday I purchased online two fishes from TSM. They have been fully QT. I am just waiting on shipment date.
I am surprised you just dont buy your own present, wrap it yourself, put it under the tree and put on a show for how wonderful the gift is, how thoughtful he is and how surprised you are!! That is what my wife and I do. Less of a reason when there are no kids around to watch it..but we sill go through the motions!!

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a question: Do you clean the body of your skimmer? My Reef Octopus Classic 150INT Skimmer is a year old. I empty my cups once a week. I will also wipe up the neck of buildup. I've read in a few places not to clean the walls of the skimmer as that makes you have to break it in again, but there's some gunk build up on the walls I am seeing a light beige film on the lower body where I can not get to. Do I leave it alone or do I put the skimmer in my Brute can with some Citric Acid and let it run through the body? I plan to soak the skimmer pump for its yearly cleaning. Just wondering if the body needs to be cleaned also.

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fishguy242 Just saw your post above. So sorry! Funny how I rarely come to my own Tank Thread when I spend so much time reading other's build threads.

Hope all your holidays were wonderful!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean mine. Terrible with time, but I'd guess 1 - 2 times a year. I do it more for cleaning the pump, and while I have it out I break off all the little hard creatures growing on it and the pump and give it a quick scrub and rinse. There isn't a need for citric acid (or any acid) because I don't have anything that a scrubbing doesn't get off.

Corals.com

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a question: Do you clean the body of your skimmer? My Reef Octopus Classic 150INT Skimmer is a year old. I empty my cups once a week. I will also wipe up the neck of buildup. I've read in a few places not to clean the walls of the skimmer as that makes you have to break it in again, but there's some gunk build up on the walls I am seeing a light beige film on the lower body where I can not get to. Do I leave it alone or do I put the skimmer in my Brute can with some Citric Acid and let it run through the body? I plan to soak the skimmer pump for its yearly cleaning. Just wondering if the body needs to be cleaned also.
Yes, I clean mine and I have that same model as you. But it is tough to really get that part clean.

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I clean mine and I have that same model as you. But it is tough to really get that part clean.
Yes it is hard to get it clean with a sponge/paper towel. I have tried in the past when I was cleaning the neck. That is why I asked if I should use citric acid or just leave it be.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is hard to get it clean with a sponge/paper towel. I have tried in the past when I was cleaning the neck. That is why I asked if I should use citric acid or just leave it be.
I have used citric acid but it has not totally cleaned it. If you have any luck I would love to know.

redfishbluefish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have used citric acid but it has not totally cleaned it. If you have any luck I would love to know.

A large bottle brush:

Bottle Brush.jpg

Not only does this do a great job on the body, I use it every two weeks to clean the cup, where those bristles on the end get into the seam of the sides and bottom of the cup and make it squeaky clean.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Citric acid is better at dissolving hard deposits/buildup. It won't do much to loosen scum from a skimmer.

Nutramar Foods

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large bottle brush:

View attachment 2563411

Not only does this do a great job on the body, I use it every two weeks to clean the cup, where those bristles on the end get into the seam of the sides and bottom of the cup and make it squeaky clean.
How do you clean the inside very bottom of the skimmer where a brush won't reach?

redfishbluefish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you clean the inside very bottom of the skimmer where a brush won't reach?

This brush is 13 inches long, and I'm sure you can get longer ones. I also don't know what skimmer we're talking about, but with mine (SWC), when I pull the pump out, I can clean the body for top and/or bottom, reaching everything

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This brush is 13 inches long, and I'm sure you can get longer ones. I also don't know what skimmer we're talking about, but with mine (SWC), when I pull the pump out, I can clean the body for top and/or bottom, reaching everything

There is a horizontal perforated disc that won't allow you to clean below

proteinskimmer.jpg

redfishbluefish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a horizontal perforated disc that won't allow you to clean below

View attachment 2563649

Well that stinks! Where's the Industrial Designers on this skimmer? I'm assuming the only access is through the pump hole where it looks like a union? If so, a wire wrapped around a piece of towel that will snugly fit through that hole, and the wire is thick enough (rigid enough) for you to push around that center cylinder, but also flexible enough to bend around the cylinder. It will at least clean the outer portion of that lower section. The inside part of that cylinder below the bubble plate would need to be chemically cleaned. I'll say it, POOR DESIGN!

I would imagine the majority of stuff that needs to be cleaned below that bubble plate is some type of biological slime. A mild solution of beach would be my choice.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FM
Back