Fish Not Eating and Showing Strange Symptoms in Quarantine Tanks

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

4 days ago, I bought six fish from my local fish store: a foxface, Midas blenny, longnose hawk, yellow tang, orchid dottyback, and bangaii cardinal. All of them were eating well at the store. When I got home, I added them to my two quarantine tanks, and they all ate on the first day (medicated food).

However, I noticed something strange with the foxface—it was kind of twitching. The next morning, when I went to feed them, the only fish that ate was the longnose hawk (who no longer eats). The rest of the fish had non-active eyes, stared blankly, and were breathing heavily. Both tanks are treated with full copper (2.25 ppm) and have a salinity of 1.026. The water is made with RODI.

By the evening of the second day, the yellow tang was gulping for air, breathing heavily, had no activity in the eyes, and had trouble swimming (gulping at the surface just like ammonia, however, my ammonia tests came back negative, and all the water was fresh 3 days earlier when they were added, with bio media and a 30% water change that afternoon). The yellow tang in tank 1 died by morning. The next day in tank 2, I started seeing similar symptoms in the cardinal, who died in a few hours. After seeing this, I conducted a formalin bath on the remaining fish. (No flukes in the bucket). The foxface then began swimming in the flow before becoming lethargic and also passing overnight last night.

There are no visible signs of velvet, uronema, or other diseases on the living or dead fish.

I am unsure what to do with the remaining fish. I suspect velvet in the gills?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are the QT tanks and do they have sufficient water movement/O2 exchange?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone,

4 days ago, I bought six fish from my local fish store: a foxface, Midas blenny, longnose hawk, yellow tang, orchid dottyback, and bangaii cardinal. All of them were eating well at the store. When I got home, I added them to my two quarantine tanks, and they all ate on the first day (medicated food).

However, I noticed something strange with the foxface—it was kind of twitching. The next morning, when I went to feed them, the only fish that ate was the longnose hawk (who no longer eats). The rest of the fish had non-active eyes, stared blankly, and were breathing heavily. Both tanks are treated with full copper (2.25 ppm) and have a salinity of 1.026. The water is made with RODI.

By the evening of the second day, the yellow tang was gulping for air, breathing heavily, had no activity in the eyes, and had trouble swimming (gulping at the surface just like ammonia, however, my ammonia tests came back negative, and all the water was fresh 3 days earlier when they were added, with bio media and a 30% water change that afternoon). The yellow tang in tank 1 died by morning. The next day in tank 2, I started seeing similar symptoms in the cardinal, who died in a few hours. After seeing this, I conducted a formalin bath on the remaining fish. (No flukes in the bucket). The foxface then began swimming in the flow before becoming lethargic and also passing overnight last night.

There are no visible signs of velvet, uronema, or other diseases on the living or dead fish.

I am unsure what to do with the remaining fish. I suspect velvet in the gills?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
The death is a potential sign of velvet - as well as the symptoms (breathing, etc) Do you happen to know the salinity of the tank they came from - since going from hypo salinity to higher - may cause problems - and the timeline sounds short for it to be velvet? In other words, I agree with you in all probability. The thing to do IMHO - would be treat any remaining living fish with copper safe at 2.25 ppm or so - using an accurate test. Leave your display tank fallow IF you added any to the display (but it sounds like this is not an issue - since you put them into 2 QT tanks) - Did you use a medicated QT - or ? If however, there was a quick jump in salinity, this could also be a causal factor

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Your description suggests flukes and a n issue they are susceptible to. Symptoms are:
elevated breathing, loss of appetite, yawning effect, lethargic behavior, sudden darting across tank and flashing as examples

OP
OP
K

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The death is a potential sign of velvet - as well as the symptoms (breathing, etc) Do you happen to know the salinity of the tank they came from - since going from hypo salinity to higher - may cause problems - and the timeline sounds short for it to be velvet? In other words, I agree with you in all probability. The thing to do IMHO - would be treat any remaining living fish with copper safe at 2.25 ppm or so - using an accurate test. Leave your display tank fallow IF you added any to the display (but it sounds like this is not an issue - since you put them into 2 QT tanks) - Did you use a medicated QT - or ? If however, there was a quick jump in salinity, this could also be a causal factor
No jump in salinity, LFS verified they keep at 1.026.

The fish are in medicated QT at 2.25 copper verified by a Hannah and still dying.

OP
OP
K

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your description suggests flukes and a n issue they are susceptible to. Symptoms are:
elevated breathing, loss of appetite, yawning effect, lethargic behavior, sudden darting across tank and flashing as examples
Yes I definitely can see the correlation to flukes, but do they spread to all the fish and kill that fast? Wouldn’t a formalin bath dislodge the flukes in the bath (visually but not always) and at the least improve symptoms over the next day?

I have prazi on hand but not sure if using it right now is the correct course of action?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yes I definitely can see the correlation to flukes, but do they spread to all the fish and kill that fast? Wouldn’t a formalin bath dislodge the flukes in the bath (visually but not always) and at the least improve symptoms over the next day?

I have prazi on hand but not sure if using it right now is the correct course of action?
Flukes can spread but slowly in some cases. Prazi can be used safely but dose at 85% of recommended dose. Add air stone as prazi can reduce oxygen and appetite.
Apply initial dosage and let it work for 8 days, do a water change and apply one more application lasting 8 days

OP
OP
K

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes can spread but slowly in some cases. Prazi can be used safely but dose at 85% of recommended dose. Add air stone as prazi can reduce oxygen and appetite.
Apply initial dosage and let it work for 8 days, do a water change and apply one more application lasting 8 days
Wouldn’t the formalin dip have gave me more evidence of flukes and relief tho?

Run the prazi with the copper or should I be taking the copper out? If it isn’t flukes and I take the copper out doesn’t that put it at risk?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Wouldn’t the formalin dip have gave me more evidence of flukes and relief tho?

Run the prazi with the copper or should I be taking the copper out? If it isn’t flukes and I take the copper out doesn’t that put it at risk?
While you can run prazi with copper, I prefer not to as the glycol base in prazi can break down the bonders in coppersafe. Formalin based while near impossible to find has to be applied precisely as its formaldehyde

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back