Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a fish from a local fish store an Achilles tang only 18 hours later it died my tank is titts no other fish deaths the LFS offered me a 40% discount on a new one to me this is bad business the fish cost 399 plus taxes what is your opinion and help me if I'm Wong in my feeling 20230416_170518.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS do not offer any sort of refund or guarantee. Some of the online venders will credit you but some of those even have Achilles as "expert only" and no guarentee for those.

Was it eating at the store?

I would be more worried about a disease taking out your whole tank, new sick fish is always spooky.

It looks to be actively dying :(

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought a fish from a local fish store an Achilles tang only 18 hours later it died my tank is titts no other fish deaths the LFS offered me a 40% discount on a new one to me this is bad business the fish cost 399 plus taxes what is your opinion and help me if I'm Wong in my feelingView attachment 3114057
First thing to do is to observe fish and ask to see it eat
Inspect fish for defects on body, heavy breathing scratching and How it interacts with other fish in tank and then ask about any guarantees.
Also could be associated with how aggressive the method to catch and net fish was performed.

As for your fish, how was it acclimated and for how long ?
Any signs upon release of distress , heavy breathing ?
Were the lights this bright upon introduction?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless stated/written, there is no warranty or guarantee on saltwater fish at any of the dozen LFS I source from.

Their offer is actually pretty generous. Most would thank you for your $400 and ask if you'd like to buy another one.

Was it eating at the shop? If you're going to try to diagnose the problem, do it before the fish dies.

This is one reason, we Quarantine. Let's hope you only lit that $400 on fire, and didn't bring something nastier into the tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Dfrashid

Dfrashid

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing to do is to observe fish and ask to see it eat
Inspect fish for defects on body, heavy breathing scratching and How it interacts with other fish in tank and then ask about any guarantees.
Also could be associated with how aggressive the method to catch and net fish was performed.

As for your fish, how was it acclimated and for how long ?
Any signs upon release of distress , heavy breathing ?
Were the lights this bright upon introduction?
I did a 30 minute float then a 15-20 minute drip

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a fish from a local fish store an Achilles tang only 18 hours later it died my tank is titts no other fish deaths the LFS offered me a 40% discount on a new one to me this is bad business the fish cost 399 plus taxes what is your opinion and help me if I'm Wong in my feelingView attachment 3114057
I don't know any LFS that offers a guarantee once the fish has left the store - you could have dropped it on the way home.

I think they're giving more than they need to, and you should be happy with that.

snackpack

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know any LFS that offers a guarantee once the fish has left the store - you could have dropped it on the way home.

I think they're giving more than they need to, and you should be happy with that.
Really? My LFS offers 72 hours with a water sample and corpse.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
When I had my LFS , I gave 7 days saltwater and 14 days Freshwater with deceased fish and water sample. Cant count how many came back minus an eye, shredded fins and even some with no face

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I did a 30 minute float then a 15-20 minute drip
did you check salinity in the bag with that of the display tank?
I can assume no quarantine?

Nutramar Foods

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No quarantine but I did do a long Draw out acclamation with 30 minutes float and a 30 minute drip application before I interduced to the tank.
Is this in your 36g bowfront?

What other Tang do you have in there?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Honestly I spent 1000s of dollars there to lose me over a 400 fish that's their bad
What did YOU do to ensure you were buying a healthy fish? Many people above have asked many questions above, which haven't been answered.

OP
OP
Dfrashid

Dfrashid

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did YOU do to ensure you were buying a healthy fish? Many people above have asked many questions above, which haven't been answered.
I asked all the right questions but was lied too and I've answered all Relevant questions

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No quarantine but I did do a long Draw out acclamation with 30 minutes float and a 30 minute drip application before I interduced to the tank.
Acclimation may have been part of the issue up to osmotic shock.
There are various methods of acclimation. Here is mine and as mentioned there are many ways to acclimate but you will see what steps I take:
My acclimation method (not the only one out there):
I generally:
Float for 20-30 minutes
Transfer fish and water into a clean bucket
Then . . . .
Measure the Ph, salinity and temperature of the bag water. If you can, make up some water in a container that has exactly the same measurements as the bag readings and move the fish right over, then you can add a cup of tank water to bucket every 15 mins 6 times (almost 1.5 hours)
Then check salinity in bucket and compare to tank. If no match or very close, add a cup of water every few mins until youve reached salinity and trap fish in same cup and pour off water and release into display. Release under LOW light before lights out. Fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. The carbon dioxide lowers the pH of the water in the bag, That in turn makes the ammonia non-toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dfrashid

Dfrashid

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation may have been part of the issue up to osmotic shock.
There are various methods of acclimation. Here is mine and as mentioned there are many ways to acclimate but you will see what steps I take:
My acclimation method (not the only one out there):
I generally:
Float for 20-30 minutes
Transfer fish and water into a clean bucket
Then . . . .
Measure the Ph, salinity and temperature of the bag water. If you can, make up some water in a container that has exactly the same measurements as the bag readings and move the fish right over, then you can add a cup of tank water to bucket every 15 mins 6 times (almost 1.5 hours)
Then check salinity in bucket and compare to tank. If no match or very close, add a cup of water every few mins until youve reached salinity and trap fish in same cup and pour off water and release into display. Release under LOW light before lights out. Fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. The carbon dioxide lowers the pH of the water in the bag, That in turn makes the ammonia non-toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia.
I have two sky lights that I'm not turning on until 4 months all other fish are doing good and I've always did a float then a drip for 30 minutes I let my guard down because I trusted this store but I've learned my lesson

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AAF
Back