Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my LFS , I gave 7 days saltwater and 14 days Freshwater with deceased fish and water sample. Cant count how many came back minus an eye, shredded fins and even some with no face

Technically a robust CUC might tear a fish up before retrieved :) That is super generous for a LFS tho.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Dfrashid

Dfrashid

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think they should do?

Should they replace the fish?
100% I may be new in this hobby but I have a room mate how has been doing this 15 plus years and knows what he's doing he's just as pist I know not to trust this store no more it is what it is now

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry you lost $400 but most local places do not warranty fish. It’s nothing out of the ordinary is all I am saying.

Achilles Tangs are listed as expert only because they are prone to disease, need a large tank with tons of flow. Sometimes they don’t eat great. Sometimes they just die.

They are not a tang I would suggest to anyone new to the hobby if they don’t want to risk throwing away money.

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry but as everyone here has said I don’t know of a LFS that does refunds on fish and if they did I’m fairly certain it wouldn’t carry over to an achilies tang one of the most difficult fish to keep in the hobby. There’s a reason all the major online vendors notate there’s a no refund policy on this fish if you order it. So the fact your LFS is willing to offer even partial credit speaks wonders. I wish they were in my neck of the woods lol.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trying to get over on anyone I'm just asking for fairness I spend ***** money there and supper loyal to them
Let's put this into context.

Let's say you have spent $2000 with them for hardware.
We'll be generous and say they are making 10 percent profit, so they have made $200 from you.
They sold you a fish which cost them $350 for $400, so they've made another $50 from you.
So far they have made $250 from you as a customer (which does not include their cost of overheads like rent, staff, etc)

The fish died.

You expect them to buy another $350 fish and give it to you for free??

If they do, as a customer you have cost them $100 for the pleasure of your business.

That's not how a business works, at least not for long ....

Be happy they are offering you any discount.

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think they should do?

Should they replace the fish?
Yeah most lfs will tell people to pound sand.

Ive had 3 fish conch over in under a week from a certain lfs. It was most likely my fault. Tank was to new probably.

OP
OP
Dfrashid

Dfrashid

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's put this into context.

Let's say you have spent $2000 with them for hardware.
We'll be generous and say they are making 10 percent profit, so they have made $200 from you.
They sold you a fish which cost them $350 for $400, so they've made another $50 from you.
So far they have made $250 from you as a customer (which does not include their cost of overheads like rent, staff, etc)

The fish died.

You expect them to buy another $350 fish and give it to you for free??

If they do, as a customer you have cost them $100 for the pleasure of your business.

That's not how a business works, at least not for long ....

Be happy they are offering you any discount.
I've spent over 20k with them there's better shops around this lfs only out for money they don't care about the hobby the fish nothing you can be happy with a fish that don't make it past 18 hours but I'm not and won't be sorry

Nutramar Foods

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you input 2x unprepped fish into this tank, after a quick death just now which likely infected the entire system with a malady tbd, after reading posts in the disease forum for a couple hours, I'll be amazed

we recommend that before you add any more fish at all/read 2 hours the various stickies and threads in the disease forum, your whole system needs fallowed now. right now, before future additions.

*when fish deaths occur in the future, look to this immediate statement for your cause + cure, it isn't parameters you can measure, it's skipping 100% of disease preps + reading for 2 hours in the disease forum. your lfs likely holds them at low salinity, to suppress disease, then you shock them by acclimating that way

because they're being held at low salinity to mask disease...acclimation is only a fraction of your concerns.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles tangs are notoriously sensitive- even reliable dealers sell fish that may encounter issues once at the home aquarium. Fish don't croak for no reason - I would be assessing what could have triggered this death...parameter swing? Improper acclimation? While it's the responsibility of the LFS to sell healthy livestock, they can't guarantee the fish won't react negatively to a different environment. I'd be happy with money back considering the situation.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adding in unfallowed clean up crew= the myriad posts from the disease forum: I added a reefcleaners clean up crew and two days later all my fish are dead

folks can try getting around disease preps, but only 5% are going to pull it off, and even that 5% can't replicate the ability outbound to others. they'll be buying replacement fish left and right until the painful lesson sets in...a quick 2 hour read in the disease forum will shore up lots of unnecessary risk taking.

acclimation is very suspect here, he did it the bad way (caused big salinity rise in under an hour)

still doesn't matter, the long game for his tank is now disease infected if %'s from the disease forum mean anything.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back