Fish are dying

McKendree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is six weeks old. I cycled it with Fritz turbo start and live sand and a piece of live rock. Also added 50 pounds of dry rock.

It’s a 46 gallon tank with salinity steady at 35 ppm.

Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all 0.

At week three, I added two clown fish and a yellow watchmen goby.

I waited another week and added a blue-eyed Kole tang.

The Cole was very skittish and did nothing but hide and would not eat the seaweed clip, but he was actively pecking at the brown algae for a few days. Then we found him dead one morning and my smallest clown was swimming upside down doing circles and looked terrible.

The only thing I could notice was slight discoloration of the clown on one side he was whiter, but not like ich or velvet. Maybe Brook?

The next morning, the other clown died with no visible issues.

My LFS said I added too much too quick. At this point, all I had was the YWG.

Saturday I added 2 bangaii Cardinals, they swam around and ate and this morning (48 hours) they were dead. Zero visible signs of anything that I can see.

I am leaning towards velvet because I don’t see anything else that could kill this fast, but why is my watchmen Goby still alive and looking great with a perfect looking coat and coloration? And if it was velvet wouldn’t I see signs of it in ANY of the fish that died?

I have no idea what I should do. I do have a few small corals like GSP and Kenya tree and a small CUC.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My tank is six weeks old. I cycled it with Fritz turbo start and live sand and a piece of live rock. Also added 50 pounds of dry rock.

The Cole was very skittish and did nothing but hide and would not eat the seaweed clip, but he was actively pecking at the brown algae for a few days. Then we found him dead one morning and my smallest clown was swimming upside down doing circles and looked terrible.

The only thing I could notice was slight discoloration of the clown on one side he was whiter, but not like ich or velvet. Maybe Brook?

Saturday I added 2 bangaii Cardinals, they swam around and ate and this morning (48 hours) they were dead. Zero visible signs of anything that I can see.

I am leaning towards velvet because I don’t see anything else that could kill this fast, but why is my watchmen Goby still alive and looking great with a perfect looking coat and coloration? And if it was velvet wouldn’t I see signs of it in ANY of the fish that died?

I have no idea what I should do. I do have a few small corals like GSP and Kenya tree and a small CUC.
Sounds like too many introductions too soon despite small number of fish in a tank with potential to have spikes in ammonia and nitrate while still cycling. How are you testing with the numbers given?
Were any of the fish found with mouth open when dead? I suspect low oxygen.
How is tank filtered as this may be a non-reef ready tank.
Please furnish a you tube video also shoing the entire tank/setup

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be a few issues. Banggai cardinals have been in bad supply lately, that could very well be the cause of death for them.
With velvet, you should be seeing the fish be swimming into flow and breathing really fast.

OP
OP
McKendree

McKendree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the guys that died a few hours ago. I see no visible sign of anything wrong… trying to upload a video now.

Attachments

• IMG_1343.jpeg
    IMG_1343.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
McKendree

McKendree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate and Nitrite 0 on test strips.

Ammonia tested with Seachem drop test - 0 as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1344.jpeg
    IMG_1344.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1345.jpeg
    IMG_1345.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 76

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any rock in your tank? What kind of filtration do you have? Is there any flow? How is the water oxygenated? A tank pic will help.

johncarlo08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you mix your salt water, do you de condition it with something like ATP Tap Water Conditioner <example> or do you use RODI?

If you are de conditioning your own tap water, there could be heavy elements in the water or chlorine.

Or maybe you aren't conditioning at all and using straight tap water, because then it's definitely chlorine poisoning

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you started the cycle did you add an ammonia source?

OP
OP
McKendree

McKendree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you mix your salt water, do you de condition it with something like ATP Tap Water Conditioner <example> or do you use RODI?

If you are de conditioning your own tap water, there could be heavy elements in the water or chlorine.

Or maybe you aren't conditioning at all and using straight tap water, because then it's definitely chlorine poisoning
Buy RODI/Salt mixed water from my LFS.

OP
OP
McKendree

McKendree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like too many introductions too soon despite small number of fish in a tank with potential to have spikes in ammonia and nitrate while still cycling. How are you testing with the numbers given?
Were any of the fish found with mouth open when dead? I suspect low oxygen.
How is tank filtered as this may be a non-reef ready tank.
Please furnish a you tube video also shoing the entire tank/setup
Video posted. Testing Nitrate and Nitrite with test strips and ammonia with Seachem drop test.

No mouths open or any fish coming to the top for air. There a AC 70 that’s filtering the water which drops into the tank with air bubbles, and 2 800GPH power heads, one agitating the surface.

Rjukan

Broken
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish food with the Fritz Turbo start
I don't think your tank cycled. You would have probably needed more of an ammonia source than just some fish food. I'm surprised your ammonia hasn't spiked after adding the fish, plus them dying as well.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back