Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first ever frags for my first reef tank and I got two small zoa frags. First one has three polyps and the other has 5 main and maybe a handful or more small new polyps growing around. For the first frag I saw them doing well and the second frag is doing okay so far but I noticed two polyps which were different from the rest on the frag opened for the first day then have been closed since for the past 3 days. Are the polyps dying or are they taking awhile to get used to tank or?? Please help!!!

Avast

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first ever frags for my first reef tank and I got two small zoa frags. First one has three polyps and the other has 5 main and maybe a handful or more small new polyps growing around. For the first frag I saw them doing well and the second frag is doing okay so far but I noticed two polyps which were different from the rest on the frag opened for the first day then have been closed since for the past 3 days. Are the polyps dying or are they taking awhile to get used to tank or?? Please help!!!
If you have other corals (your other zoas) that are open still I wouldn’t get worried. If you pass on some pics we might be able to spot something maybe lol. If everything is closed I’d worry, or if corals go missing :)

OP
OP
Landenb20

Landenb20

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see the other polyps are open and well. The two with the arrows were the different kind of zoas. I don’t know if it has to do anything but I see a slight algae film on them and a few other polyps?

Attachments

• 532461B9-D0DE-4FAE-A5A0-4A0C72C9B6F1.jpeg
    532461B9-D0DE-4FAE-A5A0-4A0C72C9B6F1.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 101
Nutramar Foods

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see the other polyps are open and well. The two with the arrows were the different kind of zoas. I don’t know if it has to do anything but I see a slight algae film on them and a few other polyps?
Zoas albeit generally hardy and easy to keep can be finicky. I've had mine at times stay closed for days on end. I tried moving them around in my tank and finally found a spot where they're all open and happy.

It's likely just taking time to acclimate.

What are your water parameters?

OP
OP
Landenb20

Landenb20

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been testing and nothing seems to be out of the normal. I’ve been moving the frags around every so often but I find it weird how just those two polyps on the frag won’t open. They’re also bright green and really pretty and I want them to open:/

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been testing and nothing seems to be out of the normal. I’ve been moving the frags around every so often but I find it weird how just those two polyps on the frag won’t open. They’re also bright green and really pretty and I want them to open:/
I wouldn't keep moving them around. I'd put them in a lower flow, lower light area to help acclimate for a few days. If only a couple of polyps are closed, its much less concerning vs. the entire colony is closed. Its likely just acclimating.

OP
OP
Landenb20

Landenb20

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't keep moving them around. I'd put them in a lower flow, lower light area to help acclimate for a few days. If only a couple of polyps are closed, its much less concerning vs. the entire colony is closed. Its likely just acclimating.
Okay I’ll try to leave them alone for a bit. How long should I wait for them to open before it’s concerning? And should I be feeding them during that time?

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I’ll try to leave them alone for a bit. How long should I wait for them to open before it’s concerning? And should I be feeding them during that time?
I’ve personally never fed Zoas specifically. I’d give it 3 days.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Landenb20

Landenb20

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve personally never fed Zoas specifically. I’d give it 3 days.
UPDATE: so it seems like they started to show some improvement after a day but nothing has really increased. I also noticed some sort of algae on the two polyps today and yesterday. I’m thinking it’s diatom algae because it’s brown but not completely sure. Should I increase flow and try using a turkey baster to get the algae off or???

Attachments

• 253977F3-165D-451B-98A8-7F9ABA622B90.jpeg
    253977F3-165D-451B-98A8-7F9ABA622B90.jpeg
    683.7 KB · Views: 72

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: so it seems like they started to show some improvement after a day but nothing has really increased. I also noticed some sort of algae on the two polyps today and yesterday. I’m thinking it’s diatom algae because it’s brown but not completely sure. Should I increase flow and try using a turkey baster to get the algae off or???
It looks like it should just blow off. If it doesn’t if you have snails they’ll likely get to it eventually. Most of my Zoa have algea growing on them at some point. If it gets too bad you can dip them for a minute or 2 in 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and tank water mix. I’d say you’re probably ok though.

I’ve had some zoa literally stay closed for a month and then open just fine. The first super high end ones I had did that in fact. Just leave them be for a bit and id bet they’ll open up all on their own. increasing flow wouldnt necessarily hurt though if you can do it without moving them. I’ve got some zoa that won’t open unless they’re being blasted and some others that won’t open if there’s anything more than a light breeze blowing over them. They’re all different.

@footgal just because she knows everything and can probably tell you much more than I can.

footgal

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it should just blow off. If it doesn’t if you have snails they’ll likely get to it eventually. Most of my Zoa have algea growing on them at some point. If it gets too bad you can dip them for a minute or 2 in 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and tank water mix. I’d say you’re probably ok though.

I’ve had some zoa literally stay closed for a month and then open just fine. The first super high end ones I had did that in fact. Just leave them be for a bit and id bet they’ll open up all on their own. increasing flow wouldnt necessarily hurt though if you can do it without moving them. I’ve got some zoa that won’t open unless they’re being blasted and some others that won’t open if there’s anything more than a light breeze blowing over them. They’re all different.

@footgal just because she knows everything and can probably tell you much more than I can.
Lol, you said everything already!

OP, just follow @Zoa_Fanatic ‘s advice. All the info is there and it’s everything I would’ve said to you if I’d seen this post first. As long as the polyps look healthy (like perfect zoas that are just closed, no melting or obvious algae on the outside) I would leave them alone. Right now, blow off the diatoms or whatever that is then let them be.

I had VW Bloodshots close on me for a little over 2 months and they opened back up then immediately my colony size doubled. I didn’t change anything or help them at all. Just let me do their funky little zoa thing as long as they look okay. Don’t panic!!!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Landenb20

Landenb20

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, you said everything already!

OP, just follow @Zoa_Fanatic ‘s advice. All the info is there and it’s everything I would’ve said to you if I’d seen this post first. As long as the polyps look healthy (like perfect zoas that are just closed, no melting or obvious algae on the outside) I would leave them alone. Right now, blow off the diatoms or whatever that is then let them be.

I had VW Bloodshots close on me for a little over 2 months and they opened back up then immediately my colony size doubled. I didn’t change anything or help them at all. Just let me do their funky little zoa thing as long as they look okay. Don’t panic!!!
So it’s been a little bit and the two still aren’t opening. I’m also noticing a lot of stretching for light in some of the polyps so should I maybe bring the frag closer to light? The two original polyps have been pretty much closed for two weeks and one of the polyps have this black dot and the other polyp seems to still have algae around it even after the h2o2 dip. What should I do?

Attachments

• F0852559-C77D-4725-B4CB-D8D8F6353CB7.jpeg
    F0852559-C77D-4725-B4CB-D8D8F6353CB7.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 52

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s been a little bit and the two still aren’t opening. I’m also noticing a lot of stretching for light in some of the polyps so should I maybe bring the frag closer to light? The two original polyps have been pretty much closed for two weeks and one of the polyps have this black dot and the other polyp seems to still have algae around it even after the h2o2 dip. What should I do?
This pic you gave here is a good looking colony. I see some algea but it doesn’t look like a lot and it almost looks dead to me. I would move them up in the tank though. Some zoa like more light than others. Your polyps should all ideally be relatively flat and wide. When they stretch like that they need more light. For instance, I only have 3 of 30 sonething zoas in my tank on the sand. Everything else I put there starts to look like a small forest they get so tall.

you can kinda see what I’m talking about in my pics below. My white zombies have really big flat heads. My purple monsters on the other hand you can see are stretching kinda and look tall. You can see all that space between the heads. I need to move them up.

F000D2E6-369B-48B9-9F60-318EC67A3048.jpeg 8D42C62A-2C2A-448E-82AE-E9C7B9AA9B61.jpeg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Battlecorals
Back