First Time Reefing 20g Long Suggestions | Help!

Eyezik

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just decided about a month ago to use my extra 20g long as my first attempt at a saltwater tank. I am here to ask what you guys suggest for a 20g log set up on a budget. I am setting this tank up as the money allows. I do not have a job currently, but I am selling some odds and ends I don't need. Currently, I am using an Aquaclear 5-20g, a Nicrew ClassicLED 12-18inch, an Aquaneat 480 GPH wavemaker, a basic heater, a bubbler, and a Texas Holey (it's early and I am a bit tired so I might be missing something). I have a turbo snail to get the cycle of the tank going. So my main questions are...

1. What's a good budget light that can grow hardy anemone, and coral? I don't plan to get into anemone for a bit until I feel comfy with how everything with the tank is feeling so if sacrificing the ability to provide enough light for them will lower the price, so be it.

2. Is my filter enough? I plan to get 2 clowns, 1 Decorator crab, 2-3 more turbos, and 1 to 2 hermits. Will, there be any problems or will it suffice? I know some people have really fancy sumps or refugium, sometimes a skimmer, but are those entirely necessary for a "low stock" tank?

I have a budget sheet with everything I plan to buy, I leave a picture of it below for an idea of my plan.

(names are just who is buying, don't pay to me attention to them.)
Budget.PNG

Avast

EvanDeVita

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just decided about a month ago to use my extra 20g long as my first attempt at a saltwater tank. I am here to ask what you guys suggest for a 20g log set up on a budget. I am setting this tank up as the money allows. I do not have a job currently, but I am selling some odds and ends I don't need. Currently, I am using an Aquaclear 5-20g, a Nicrew ClassicLED 12-18inch, an Aquaneat 480 GPH wavemaker, a basic heater, a bubbler, and a Texas Holey (it's early and I am a bit tired so I might be missing something). I have a turbo snail to get the cycle of the tank going. So my main questions are...

1. What's a good budget light that can grow hardy anemone, and coral? I don't plan to get into anemone for a bit until I feel comfy with how everything with the tank is feeling so if sacrificing the ability to provide enough light for them will lower the price, so be it.

2. Is my filter enough? I plan to get 2 clowns, 1 Decorator crab, 2-3 more turbos, and 1 to 2 hermits. Will, there be any problems or will it suffice? I know some people have really fancy sumps or refugium, sometimes a skimmer, but are those entirely necessary for a "low stock" tank?

I have a budget sheet with everything I plan to buy, I leave a picture of it below for an idea of my plan.

(names are just who is buying, don't pay to me attention to them.)
View attachment 1964426
1) depends on the corals you want. If you simply want soft corals you can get a cheap light, but I’d you want sps you will need to spend more
2) I’m not sure what kind of filter you have, but if you only plan on keeping two fish in the 20 gallon, you don’t need to go crazy.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) depends on the corals you want. If you simply want soft corals you can get a cheap light, but I’d you want sps you will need to spend more
2) I’m not sure what kind of filter you have, but if you only plan on keeping two fish in the 20 gallon, you don’t need to go crazy.

1. I guess I would rather pick a light based on price then decide what I can grow with it after if that makes sense. So if I was to say under 50$ what would you recommend?

2. As I said in my post I am using a small Aquaclear 5-20 (here). If you're saying I won't need anything crazy though I would assume this will work.

AquaCave Logo Banner

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an awesome 20 long for years without a hang on filter. No need IMO.

Keep it simple. A couple power heads for flow and a light. I'd go T5. Maybe look for something used in the classifieds here or post a WTB. This is way out of your budget for new but you might find one used.
Coralife Lunar Aqualight Quad T5 HO Aquarium Light Fixture 30 inch

Two koralia nano are great for that setup. Might find those used too but they are only around $25 or so new.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an awesome 20 long for years without a hang on filter. No need IMO.

Keep it simple. A couple power heads for flow and a light. I'd go T5. Maybe look for something used in the classifieds here or post a WTB. This is way out of your budget for new but you might find one used.
Coralife Lunar Aqualight Quad T5 HO Aquarium Light Fixture 30 inch

Two koralia nano are great for that setup. Might find those used too but they are only around $25 or so new.
I already have an Aquaneat 480 GPH wavemaker is this enough flow or should I ramp it up more? I am new to this whole flow thing as I never used a wavemaker for my goldfish, but I understand the reasoning now. Probably going to put up a powerhead for my 55 soon.

zalick

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have an Aquaneat 480 GPH wavemaker is this enough flow or should I ramp it up more? I am new to this whole flow thing as I never used a wavemaker for my goldfish, but I understand the reasoning now. Probably going to put up a powerhead for my 55 soon.
That should work great! If you find you need more or flow in a different spot you can ad a koralia nano 240 or something similar.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work great! If you find you need more or flow in a different spot you can ad a koralia nano 240 or something similar.

Also, I checked out that light but do you know anything for under 100$ or maybe even 75$? I knew lights get pricey, but as I said I am buying things as the money appears so trying to get a 200$ light will be difficult.\

I am looking at getting one of these (here) and a wall arm at home depot and that will cost me around 60$ and all the reviews says it grows most corals AND anemone. I have one center piece texas holey where I will probably put all my coral and anemone so if I smack this right above it I feel it should cover me. Thoughts?

WirelessMike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want soft corals I would look at something like the Current LED’s or a black box on Amazon.
Or you can look at something like a Ocean Revive or Noopsyche is you want to mix it up a bit and stay in budget.

as for the filter that’s gonna depend on a few things from my experience and what I have found on here. I’m sure there are a few long term reefers that can guide you in this direction. I went with a sump and refugium for 2 reasons. First it was a part of the deal I found online and second I wanted stability in my parameters.

also, welcome to the reef! This place is awesome!

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want soft corals I would look at something like the Current LED’s or a black box on Amazon.
Or you can look at something like a Ocean Revive or Noopsyche is you want to mix it up a bit and stay in budget.

as for the filter that’s gonna depend on a few things from my experience and what I have found on here. I’m sure there are a few long term reefers that can guide you in this direction. I went with a sump and refugium for 2 reasons. First it was a part of the deal I found online and second I wanted stability in my parameters.

also, welcome to the reef! This place is awesome!

Could you give me your opinion on these:
Black Box
Black Box 2

(these are inside my budget)

zalick

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I checked out that light but do you know anything for under 100$ or maybe even 75$? I knew lights get pricey, but as I said I am buying things as the money appears so trying to get a 200$ light will be difficult.\

I am looking at getting one of these (here) and a wall arm at home depot and that will cost me around 60$ and all the reviews says it grows most corals AND anemone. I have one center piece texas holey where I will probably put all my coral and anemone so if I smack this right above it I feel it should cover me. Thoughts?
I'd hold off on the anemone for now. They need far more light than you'll likely have and they are also a little tricky to care for.

You should start with soft coral and fish. It will still look amazing.

I don't know about that light. Although I currently have LEDs I don't know much about the technical side of them.

Search and post in the wanted section for the light I mentioned. If you can get it used, it's gonna be awesome for that tank.

Corals.com

Pico bam

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you give me your opinion on these:
Black Box
Black Box 2

(these are inside my budget)
Black box #1 will be more than sufficient i run 2 on my 40 gallon long. I got my whole setup together for under 300$. Its all about waiting for deals if there's any available. Buying used is a good option! I wouldn't focuse much on a filter or a protien skimmer. As long as you do water changes you should be good.
1. no hydromameter! Get a refractometer they run about 15$ on eBay they work so much better (can't stress this enough)
2. make sure you use a proper reef salt if you plan on having coral/anemones such as tropic marine or reef crystals (you must use R.O. water.)
3. keep searching for deals feel free to message me with any questions/information you need ive got three tanks running now and thinking about setting up a 220g fowler with my brother (witch I got for 100$)

Corals.com

samnaz

Earthling
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current Orbit Marine (not the pro version) if they still make it, check eBay for used. I sold one a few years ago for under 100 and it most certainly grew corals.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am probably going to get this for the light

bc, there is only a 5$ difference between the 21inch and 15inch one should I just get the 21 inches?
My tank is 24 inches wide so it will almost completely cover it. Or should I save the 5 for a snail or something xD

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

CrystallConrad

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am probably going to get this for the light

bc, there is only a 5$ difference between the 21inch and 15inch one should I just get the 21 inches?
My tank is 24 inches wide so it will almost completely cover it. Or should I save the 5 for a snail or something xD
Yess I have these on my 150g they are great !!!!!! Personally I think the hipargero would be find for a 20 long but the wills are great also !

Attachments

• 0E54D243-A09E-4A8B-8D48-7B0FD745E6AD.jpeg
    0E54D243-A09E-4A8B-8D48-7B0FD745E6AD.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yess I have these on my 150g they are great !!!!!! Personally I think the hipargero would be find for a 20 long but the wills are great also !
Thanks for the response, I love what you did with the selves to hang the lights, might steal that ideaas my tank is somewhat low to the ground.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aqua SD
Back