Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also on the HOB overflow drill a small hole on top of both in and out tubes of overflow and glue a piece of tubing in the holes from both and when the return pump starts back up will create vacuum in the overflow tube and will help reestablish siphon. Similar to how TOM'S Rapid Pro filter works.

BRS

JAC-

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey crys,

If possible, I'd go the drilled route simply for the look.

There is another option though, one that I have used many times in the past for oddball setups.

You can put a "sump" above your tank. It's not a true sump in this case because the pump will be in your tank and the overflow will be in the sump. You will definitely have to drill the sump and put a proper overflow in it, but you can use a cheap 10 gallon for it and not risk drilling your nice tank.

Usually pump maintenance is the big problem with doing this, as you're pump is before the primary mechanical filtration. I usually only use this in really specific installations where it's worth it. Just building a refuge in an all in one system though, you can use the built in filtration.

Things you need to think about,

Hiding the sump for aesthetic reasons.

Securely mounting the sump. A 10 gallon will weigh more than 100lbs when full of water.

Positioning it and your plumbing so you're not creating an electrical safety hazard if anything leaks

Setting your drain pipe/pipes so your display tank can catch any drain off and not overflow during a power outage.

Head pressure on your pump. The higher your pumping water above the source, the less flow you are going to get.

Main tank flow. Your return from the sump won't have a high velocity flow if this is a primary source of flow in your tank currently, you will need to add a power head to get some flow back.

I will likely be building a very similar setup in the next few months, I'll put in in the build thread when I do.

Funston07

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the research I did, I definitely saw overflowing as a risk. If I were to go the sump route and drilling the tank isn’t an option, I felt like an overflow box is the way to go. Do you know any alternatives to drilling and hob overflows? Or any way I could maybe minimize the risk of it overflowing the bad way?
Get a HOB OF from Lifereef. They dont have a single failure due to overflow or loss of siphone in 30 years (since they were made) I got one for my 65gal tank.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
crys

crys

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a HOB OF from Lifereef. They dont have a single failure due to overflow or loss of siphone in 30 years (since they were made) I got one for my 65gal tank.
I’m looking at the life reef HOB OF. I can’t argue with their track record of never overflowing and/or losing siphon. The dimensions of the single slimline are 8” x 8” x 3 which would be a little too big to fit in the middle chamber of the IM20 but I guess the smallest option that’s 2” would work. Is your HOB OF noisy at all? The tank is in my room so noise is definitely a concern. I’ve come to terms with drilling my tank and installing an Eshopps eclipse small OF but if I can go with lifereefs HOB OF with no risk of overflowing or losing siphon I’d rather that.

OP
OP
crys

crys

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey crys,

If possible, I'd go the drilled route simply for the look.

There is another option though, one that I have used many times in the past for oddball setups.

You can put a "sump" above your tank. It's not a true sump in this case because the pump will be in your tank and the overflow will be in the sump. You will definitely have to drill the sump and put a proper overflow in it, but you can use a cheap 10 gallon for it and not risk drilling your nice tank.

Usually pump maintenance is the big problem with doing this, as you're pump is before the primary mechanical filtration. I usually only use this in really specific installations where it's worth it. Just building a refuge in an all in one system though, you can use the built in filtration.

Things you need to think about,

Hiding the sump for aesthetic reasons.

Securely mounting the sump. A 10 gallon will weigh more than 100lbs when full of water.

Positioning it and your plumbing so you're not creating an electrical safety hazard if anything leaks

Setting your drain pipe/pipes so your display tank can catch any drain off and not overflow during a power outage.

Head pressure on your pump. The higher your pumping water above the source, the less flow you are going to get.

Main tank flow. Your return from the sump won't have a high velocity flow if this is a primary source of flow in your tank currently, you will need to add a power head to get some flow back.

I will likely be building a very similar setup in the next few months, I'll put in in the build thread when I do.
After reconsidering, I’m willing to drill my tank and install Eshopps eclipse small OF and go that route. Is there a name for the method you described? Could you send me any links or pictures possibly so I can get a better understanding of it. I’d love to learn more about it and see if it’s an option for me, aesthetics is very important to me but obviously functionality is more important.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
crys

crys

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also on the HOB overflow drill a small hole on top of both in and out tubes of overflow and glue a piece of tubing in the holes from both and when the return pump starts back up will create vacuum in the overflow tube and will help reestablish siphon. Similar to how TOM'S Rapid Pro filter works.
Thank you I’ll keep this in mind if I go the hob overflow route. A member mentioned lifereefs OF systems which has a squeaky clean record when it comes to the problems associated with hob OF. If I do go with a HOB OF id definitely go with lifereefs OF which, from what I understand, don’t need any tampering. But I guess extra safety precautions can’t hurt.

JAC-

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of a name for it, but in searching I found a thread on it.

I'll sketch out a diagram for you tomorrow and post it.

OP
OP
crys

crys

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with their layouts but I'll look up the tank and see if I can give any suggestions.
A few members have mentioned Lifereefs OF. They claim that they haven’t had an overflow malfunction since they started. It seems like an HOB OF without the risks associated with hob ofs. When you get the chance could you let me know your thoughts on it? I’ve come to terms with drilling the tank but if I don’t have to and I can be safe long term with lifereefs HOB OF then I’d rather that than drill.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
crys

crys

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of a name for it, but in searching I found a thread on it.

I'll sketch out a diagram for you tomorrow and post it.
In the forum you listed a member compared the setup to basically having your DT as the “sump” and the sump as your “DT”. That would be a good option. I’d be able to hide the return pump in a back chamber of my tank and I wouldn’t have to drill the IM20. honestly a great idea. But practically speaking it wouldn’t look as clean of a setup compared to having everything underneath and hidden. I’d have to build a new stand above my tank and also noise would be a big concern. Definitely a project I’d love to do but I don’t think it’s realistic for the setup I’m working with rn. Thank you so much for the link it really helped me understand.

JAC-

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the forum you listed a member compared the setup to basically having your DT as the “sump” and the sump as your “DT”. That would be a good option. I’d be able to hide the return pump in a back chamber of my tank and I wouldn’t have to drill the IM20. honestly a great idea. But practically speaking it wouldn’t look as clean of a setup compared to having everything underneath and hidden. I’d have to build a new stand above my tank and also noise would be a big concern. Definitely a project I’d love to do but I don’t think it’s realistic for the setup I’m working with rn. Thank you so much for the link it really helped me understand.

No worries,

I have the drawing attached if it ever comes up again. I don't usually have issues with the noise because I usually use a bulkhead for the inlet too and put a top on the sump, but different people have different explanations and needs.

You would definitely need to build something to hold the sump, water is heavy.

Best of luck with whatever method you choose friend.

above sump.jpg

Chuk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get an aqualifter (or similar little pump) to pull the siphon on your overflow box. This way if your power goes out the siphon gets restarted when the return kicks on. Other than that advice there's really not much difference to a normal drilled tank. I used a HOB overflow box for 5 years never had an issue.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I was using a CPR CS100 overflow.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Funston07

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at the life reef HOB OF. I can’t argue with their track record of never overflowing and/or losing siphon. The dimensions of the single slimline are 8” x 8” x 3 which would be a little too big to fit in the middle chamber of the IM20 but I guess the smallest option that’s 2” would work. Is your HOB OF noisy at all? The tank is in my room so noise is definitely a concern. I’ve come to terms with drilling my tank and installing an Eshopps eclipse small OF but if I can go with lifereefs HOB OF with no risk of overflowing or losing siphon I’d rather that.
Mine is almost 100% silent. It does have a slight noise but very minimal. But that being said I also have a larger model than the slimline so I cant speak from experience with that exact model. They make a silencer but I believe its too large for the 2" model. I would assume its also fairly quiet but things like the dimensions and flow rate are gonna play a role in its noise level. Best bet would find someone with that model or even email them about it asking questions. Other than that you'll just have to take a chance on it.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I’ll keep this in mind if I go the hob overflow route. A member mentioned lifereefs OF systems which has a squeaky clean record when it comes to the problems associated with hob OF. If I do go with a HOB OF id definitely go with lifereefs OF which, from what I understand, don’t need any tampering. But I guess extra safety precautions can’t hurt.
lifereefs OF are for drilled tanks only? I would rather drill 2 little holes in the HOB OF without drilling holes in tank. Of course the HOB can be is little more visible than drilled OF type.

Funston07

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lifereefs OF are for drilled tanks only? I would rather drill 2 little holes in the HOB OF without drilling holes in tank. Of course the HOB can be is little more visible than drilled OF type.
No they are not for drilled tanks only. They sell HOB overflows and regular overflows.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back