+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN

It shouldn’t be placed on top of the rock structure, Sebae’s naturally bury their foot where the sand meets the rock structure. I’d dig a hole under your rock structure and place the nem there.

You’re going to need much stronger lighting as well. Sebae’s are demanding anemones and certainly not easy to care for.
I had him in the sand and he looked bad, the local shop told me to put him ontop of the rock to see if it helps. Should I move him back

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pharaoh0323

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how he looked before

Attachments

• ADA4F61C-E327-4AB0-9745-92CA8CE95F54.jpeg
    ADA4F61C-E327-4AB0-9745-92CA8CE95F54.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 16BC4BE6-BFF2-421D-B13B-12AA184F4358.jpeg
    16BC4BE6-BFF2-421D-B13B-12AA184F4358.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0

argiBK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had him in the sand and he looked bad, the local shop told me to put him ontop of the rock to see if it helps. Should I move him back

You’re in a tough spot unfortunately. The Bio cube’s standard lighting isn’t going to support the zoox algae that feeds the anemone.

It might get more light/PAR at the top of the rock structure (but still not enough), but then, it’s not able to attach in it’s preferred spot (foot buried in the sand, under a rock). Even if it attaches to the top of rock, it’ll still wander back down to the sand until it finds a desirable spot.

Here is how he looked before

Looking at these photos, I can’t tell if the foot is torn/damaged and is extruding it’s mesenterial filaments (or if it just has substrate on it). If it is, it’s going to need some serious care to recover.

Honestly, I’d recommend bringing the anemone back to the LFS. Your tank is not equipped to care for it. You need proper lighting and adequate water flow for any anemone to succeed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pharaoh0323

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re in a tough spot unfortunately. The Bio cube’s standard lighting isn’t going to support the zoox algae that feeds the anemone.

It might get more light/PAR at the top of the rock structure (but still not enough), but then, it’s not able to attach in it’s preferred spot (foot buried in the sand, under a rock). Even if it attaches to the top of rock, it’ll still wander back down to the sand until it finds a desirable spot.

Looking at these photos, I can’t tell if the foot is torn/damaged and is extruding it’s mesenterial filaments (or if it just has substrate on it). If it is, it’s going to need some serious care to recover.

Honestly, I’d recommend bringing the anemone back to the LFS. Your tank is not equipped to care for it. You need proper lighting and adequate water flow for any anemone to succeed.
What anemone do you recommend for this tank then? It’s not sand I think it’s his foot that’s like that, but he’s been like that since I got him

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You should get your own test kit, preferably not API brand. Exact numbers are important, not just "perfect". They might have the wrong idea of what "perfect" is. At minimum, you should have them tell you the exact numbers for your nitrates and phosphates; weekly water changes may be too much.

What light do you have?
100% agree- API is a joke

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Upvote 0

argiBK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What anemone do you recommend for this tank then? It’s not sand I think it’s his foot that’s like that, but he’s been like that since I got him

If that’s the case, the foot has been damaged and the filaments are extruding. This is nearly a death sentence, even for aquarists experienced with anemones. It won’t be able to attach to anything.

When anemones perish, it happens rapidly and they basically melt and can bomb the tank with ammonia.

As far as what anemone would work? With the standard cube’s lightning, none. Upgrade your lighting (this kit from Steve’s retrofits into your hood, expensive though) and add power heads to the tank to improve flow.

As far as test kits. Anything is better than API. Red Sea, Salifert, Hanna Checkers… anything.

Upvote 0

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’re being very vague with your answers. People asking questions are legit trying to help you. When asked about parameters, you say perfect. When about lighting, you said standard. Then your updated post called them normal lights. If you seek help, you gotta help them help you. Don’t be so evasive with you answers .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pharaoh0323

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that’s the case, the foot has been damaged and the filaments are extruding. This is nearly a death sentence, even for aquarists experienced with anemones. It won’t be able to attach to anything.

When anemones perish, it happens rapidly and they basically melt and can bomb the tank with ammonia.

As far as what anemone would work? With the standard cube’s lightning, none. Upgrade your lighting (this kit from Steve’s retrofits into your hood, expensive though) and add power heads to the tank to improve flow.

As far as test kits. Anything is better than API. Red Sea, Salifert, Hanna Checkers… anything.
I do have an api kit on hand, if I take the parameters my self will that help? I’ve only done it acouple times, I’ve had my tank with my clown fish for 3 years and as much as I am trying to learn it’s hard to take it all in lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pharaoh0323

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you watch the LFS staff remove it from their tanks? Did they force it off anything? It’s possible they damaged it. If so, going to be hard to recover.
He removed it from a non sand bottom, I don’t think he pulled it or anything, just waved his hand a bit

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pharaoh0323

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re being very vague with your answers. People asking questions are legit trying to help you. When asked about parameters, you say perfect. When about lighting, you said standard. Then your updated post called them normal lights. If you seek help, you gotta help them help you. Don’t be so evasive with you answers .
I am only being vague because I honestly don’t know.. my bio cube has standard lights on it that I have set to a timer, l1, l2, and l3

Upvote 0

argiBK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do have an api kit on hand, if I take the parameters my self will that help? I’ve only done it acouple times, I’ve had my tank with my clown fish for 3 years and as much as I am trying to learn it’s hard to take it all in lol

It’s not about water parameters at this point.

I’ll say it one final time, minimum requirements for any anemone are meeting their needs for strong lighting and adequate water flow in addition to good water quality. Get those first two in place, then you begin to be capable of anemone care. Otherwise, any anemone you attempt will fail.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pharaoh0323

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ll say it one final time, minimum requirements for any anemone are meeting their needs for strong lighting and adequate water flow in addition to good water quality. Get those first two in place, then you begin to be capable of anemone care. Otherwise, any anemone you attempt will fail
I get it and I will buy a new lighting system but I only have 16gal, I’m worried he’s going to die and kill my other fish

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pharaoh0323

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ll say it one final time, minimum requirements for any anemone are meeting their needs for strong lighting and adequate water flow in addition to good water quality. Get those first two in place, then you begin to be capable of anemone care. Otherwise, any anemone you attempt will fail.
Do you know if biocube has a water flow upgrade?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back