SeaJelly

SeaJelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1551.jpeg

I got my yellow watchman goby!! The eel didn’t pass his health inspection, though, so they’re quarantining him for another week or two before shipping him to me. But yay! I have a goby! Now I just need to figure out a good name for him.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1551.jpeg

I got my yellow watchman goby!! The eel didn’t pass his health inspection, though, so they’re quarantining him for another week or two before shipping him to me. But yay! I have a goby! Now I just need to figure out a good name for him.
Great photo of your watchman!

OP
OP
SeaJelly

SeaJelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to Barrier Reef Aquariums in Renton, WA to look at fish and wasn’t really intending on getting a fish. But I fell in love with this yellowhead wrasse (halichoeres garnoti). He was super interactive and had a cool personality. I ended up buying him.

I had a bunch of wrasse on my “fish list” but none from the halichoeres genus. Based on my research he’s a peaceful fish (except for going after my hermit crabs). He’ll get up to 7”. He’s between his juvenile and adult phase so his coloring is really cool and pretty right now.

He’s settled in really well so far. He went after my hermit crabs at first but he’s eating well and swimming around and exploring like crazy. He scared my yellow watchman goby half to death when he poked his head in the goby’s cave. But hasn’t had any issues otherwise.

I’ll also get my zebra moray eel this week! He was supposed to ship a couple of weeks ago from Dr. Reefs, but didn’t pass his health inspection. So fingers crossed he’s doing better and I can get him in the tank!

IMG_1556.jpeg
IMG_1553.jpeg
IMG_1574.jpeg

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_5579.jpeg

IMG_5580.jpeg

IMG_5583.jpeg

Okay! I set up the plumbing and Neptune Apex system and cleaned the glass! It took a hot second but I’m satisfied with it.

I still need to do a water test to make sure the plumbing isn’t leaking. Not sure how I should do that, but I’m going to do some research on that.

I have almost all equipment. I have to return the gyre power heads I got, though. I bought the Maxspect gyre cloud edition w/o the controller because I thought that it was compatible with the Apex. Alas, it is not.

So I’m returning those and purchased two AI Orbit 4 pumps. I also didn’t realize that I needed an MXM module, so I got that too. Hopefully those are here later this week or early next week!

My equipment so far is:

- Neptune Apex
- Vectra M2
- Aquamaxx ConeS DRC-2 protein skimmer
- 2x 600W titanium heater (BRS)
- Osomolater 3 Auto Top Off

I also got:

- 5 Stage Premium Plus RO/DI
- Ultra Zero utility pump
- No Spill Clean & Fill Python

Plus I’m starting with all dry rock, CaribSea Special Grade sand, and RedSea aquarium salt mix.

I think my next steps are doing a water test and setting up my equipment. I’ll also start to get to work on my aquascaping.
awesome set up! I'm looking into buying the same system! Looking forward to seeing ur tanks growth.

I was curious about that little box you put ur controller in. Is that built into the stand or did u make that urself?

Also I have the exact same lights. Do you have a lid on ur system? If so what brand of lid did u get that doesnt get obstructed by the light mounts. I have a cheap self made lid on my current tank and the mounts get in the way making my lid lift up a tiny bit.

OP
OP
SeaJelly

SeaJelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome set up! I'm looking into buying the same system! Looking forward to seeing ur tanks growth.

I was curious about that little box you put ur controller in. Is that built into the stand or did u make that urself?

Also I have the exact same lights. Do you have a lid on ur system? If so what brand of lid did u get that doesnt get obstructed by the light mounts. I have a cheap self made lid on my current tank and the mounts get in the way making my lid lift up a tiny bit.

Thank you!! It’s a really fun project and very rewarding to watch it grow.

I got both the controller box and the lid directly on water box. So they both were specifically made for my system. The stand already had the drill holes for the box, but put it in before you put the tank on top because it was a pain to try and put it in. A bit expensive, but worth it IMO.

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you!! It’s a really fun project and very rewarding to watch it grow.

I got both the controller box and the lid directly on water box. So they both were specifically made for my system. The stand already had the drill holes for the box, but put it in before you put the tank on top because it was a pain to try and put it in. A bit expensive, but worth it IMO.
Oh awesome! So the waterbox lid has spots for the radion light mounts?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in this build because I'm interested in this system - and specifically having space to do stuff like handle power bricks, mount things, have a UV sterilizer plumbed in, etc.

The one thing I'd like to point out is that you have some "invasive" corals in there that can and will get out of hand, mixed in with some really nice LPS and SPS

I would reconsiser those palythoas - which can carry palytoxin - and the pulsing xenia at the least, without a plan to keep them contained

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@SeaJelly I was curious is ur overflow box quiet? I have heard complaints about it and wondering how u fixed that issue. If it occurred for you?

dotsontyler44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s finally time!

After weeks and weeks of researching tanks and fish and corals and equipment, I have finally received my aquarium system. Granted, I’m no where near close to even filling it with water, let alone fish. But it’s a start!

I am the proud new owner of a waterbox INFINIA 230.6. This has a 167 gallon display tank and a 51 gallon sump. The display tank is 72.3”L x 25.3”W x 23.6”H. This is my very first saltwater aquarium (and reef tank). I’m also pretty new to aquariums in general. I have a 2.6 gallon betta tank and a 15 gallon high freshwater that I’m starting at the same time as this…

Perhaps I’m ambitious, but I’m doing everything I can to do this right and responsibly. I have so many more things to learn, it’s fun! If not overwhelming.. but still fun!

IMG_5395.jpeg

IMG_5391.jpeg

I need to place the tank on top, obviously. But the stand is finally put together and the sump and reservoir are in. Definitely a bit intimidated bringing the tank down. This is on the bottom level (on concrete, it’s a finished basement). There is a relatively easy way to get down to where the stand is around the house and down a slope (not too steep).

But man, it’s heavy. The sump alone was super heavy. I’m sure my husband and I will be able to handle it, though.

Anyway, I have nothing else but the aquarium set up (tank, stand, sump). I realized that the stand did not have a good place for me to mount any control panel/power. Nor did it have a mesh lid. So I ordered a control box (that I can mount onto) and a mesh lid specifically for this tank model through Waterbox.

I did order a bunch of rock (185lbs reef saver macro rocks + 3L and 2M foundation pieces + glue). I’m expecting the aquascaping to take awhile, as I’ve never done it before and I’m also a perfectionist. I’ve been researching a lot of different tank designs as well as coral and fish needs. I’m still deciding what fish/corals I like and need to see what’s compatible. That will determine my aquascaping and equipment.

So much to research! So much fun! I’m so excited! Much more to come :)
Welcome to this awesome hiobby

OP
OP
SeaJelly

SeaJelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time, no update! Since my last update a lot has happened. I’m not in the hair algae stage and man my tank is ugly. There’s SO much hair algae.

I got more of a CUC (more hermits and snails). I also got my zebra moray eel!

IMG_6568.jpeg

His name is Veldora. He’s huge, about 2ft long. I’ve had him for about a month now. He hasn’t been eating though and I’ve tried so many different foods. He started to get really wrinkly looking. BUT yesterday I tried feeding him with frozen big krill and he devoured it! I’m so relieved that he’s finally eating and I know what he likes.

I also went to my LFS on Monday and got more fish! I wasn’t necessarily intending on bringing home anything, nor did I expect to spend as much as I did… but I’m so happy! I got:

- Yellow Tang
- Orangeshoulder Tang
- Sailfin Tang
- Cleaner Wrasse
- Rainbow Anemone
- 10 Mexican Turbo Snails
- 10 Emerald Crabs

The total cost made me cringe but once I got everything in the tank it was like Christmas morning as a kid. I was so excited.

Hopefully with all the new additions my hair algae problem will be taken care of within a few weeks. It’s already starting to look a bit better. However, the sailfin tang isn’t doing so good.

No visual signs of ich or velvet, but yesterday she was pretty much camped out on the bottom of the tank, super lethargic. Maybe she got into a fight with the yellow tang? But this morning she’s swimming around (although erratically) and eating algae, so I think that’s a good sign?

The cleaner wrasse is nowhere to be found. The anemone is trying to find a good spot. I put it in front of the clownfish and it hasn’t moved much from that spot. Hopefully it stays put and the clownfish start to host in it! They’ve been hosting in the hair algae on the back of the tank…

IMG_6532.jpeg
IMG_6539.jpeg
IMG_6541.jpeg
IMG_6560.jpeg
IMG_6563.jpeg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back