• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

First ever sexy sps growout!!!!!

islander84

Island Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few things i would be interested in..... rainbow granulosa, strawberry shortcake, red stag, hawkins, icefire, red dragon, some nice nasutas, blue bottlebrush, some nice tables, not really into montis.....

I have red planet, pink lemonade, purple tort, green tort, turquoise stag, shades of fall, rasberry nasuta, pink divaricata, sniper pink selago, bubblegum mille, ......

Top Shelf Aquatics

jtomasi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone interested in letting me in this growout or maybe selling me thier spot? I would be wiling to pay the original amount. The funds could be used for shipping or whatever. Send me a PM and I can pay through paypal. Iether way, its nice to see the growout ending well for all of those involved.

jtomasi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one wants to grow? I would grow, but I'm not a buyer in this grow out (trying to be) and my tank is still fairly immature (kind of). Here are a couple of recent pictures..I can give more details if people are interested in me growing. I also have some stuff thats not included that I can frag too. Either way, I hope it works put for everyone!

a7yzebu5.jpg

ugezu8y2.jpg

jtomasi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will preface by saying that I wont take it personally if you guys decide my system isn’t mature enough to complete this grow.

if you guys do decide....I am willing to spend up to the amount committed by everyone else in the grow out – shipping, buying frags that people are interested in, whatever else. I am going to the New England Frag Farmers Market next weekend and will try my to get frags people want. Maybe ill make a voting forum or something.

System Details:

BB 65g deep tank w/20l sump. Rocks are on eggcrate that is on frag plugs for flow under rocks. Ungly to most, but I don’t mind it and like the ability to change things easily if something becomes “off”.
Reef Angel Controller – takes care of PH, temp, actinics and ATO (pressure sensitive water level add on). Everything is wifi so people can see my parameters live 24/7 on their website - even get emails if something it out of range. Love this controller.
DT flow – 2 cobalt 1200. 2 maxijet 1200 pros set up in a way that makes all detritus to flow into my sump (literally ZERO bottom glass accumulation)
Reef Octopus 150NWB
Filter Guys Ocean +1 RO/DI w/ dual silicate buster DI (filters and membrane are 5 months old, 175g made)
BRS dual carbon/GFO – BRS GFO and TLF carbon
Lighting - Radon Gen 2 w/4 coralife PC 65w actinics
Livestock - Two clown fish, two turbo snails, bunch of BLHC. Thinking about getting a Hippo Tang or Coris Wrasse or maybe a Melan. Wrasse. Haven't decided.
10g water changes bi-monthly using RC bagged salt
Titanium 200w heater
Cheato in sump.
The only things I dose right now is Kalk in my ATO water. I will be getting either a 3 pump dose or two independent dosers.
Test kits are all Salifert and I use a refractometer I got off of BRS.

Old system and growth pics to come.

Roughly 8 years experience. Current system is about 5 months old, however, I didn’t cycle it or anything. Most of the live rock in the tank is from a 3 year old 29g. Since I was only running a skimmer and high flow in my old system, I added rock and water to my new 65g and then added 10g a week with biospira until everything filled up. Both systems have been started with bleached live rock and a piece of coralline algae.

I don’t feed anything right now, I have read many posts on "best" SPS food while running a ULNS but haven't decided. Suggestions are welcome.

Background on me, I live in NJ, just got married in Aug to my HS sweetheart, turned 27 in December, graduated from Babson College in 2008, worked as an Analyst in Cambridge Associates' Non-Marketable Alternative Assets Group in Boston until March 2012, currently work as an Analyst in RBC's Wealth Management Division in NYC.

Few things I will be looking for at the FFM
ATL Shades of Fall
Strawberry Shortcake
ora pearlberry
ORA Bird of Paradise
forest digi
rasberrry/blueberry tip prostrata
Bubble gum milli
Willi milli

Anything else?

One final thing…I wouldn’t volunteer myself if I didn’t understand the full responsibility and what goes into these grow outs.

Last edited:
AS

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys ever figure out who the grower is going to be? Like I said once you figure it out lmk so I can cut stuff and let it heal for a week or two before sending it out.

I'll start pming everybody and get it figured out.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

xxbrianxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jtomasi, due to what just happened, I'd personally prefer someone who paid for a portion of the original growout, but if everyone else is ok with you as our grower, I'm fine with it too. Btw thanks a lot Me z, good to know there's some good reefers out there.

Top Shelf Aquatics

jtomasi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your concerns and I don't mind either way - I was really just trying to get things rolling as well :). a few people have offered me their spots I just thought it would be more beneficial to the group as a whole to use the money for shipping and frags that were lost.

Me z

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoever you guys want to grow it is fine by me. But "I am not responsible for anything the new grower does or does not do". Once it is in your growers hands my concience is clear so pick your grower wisely! No rush you guys just let me know when you get it figured out! :bigsmile:

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So who do we feel wants to grow them? The people in the Growout who are still active in this thread are:

Ragamuffin
Islander84
xxBrianxx
Bct15
FlowerhornNyc

Who is willing to grow and does not want to grow? We need to know this to move forward. I really don't want to grow but if I have to I will but would honestly prefer somebody else do it.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Nutramar Foods

xxbrianxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as bct. Historically I haven't had great success with sps, so I wouldn't feel comfortable taking this many at a time. But yea like bct, if no one else will do it, I'll do it. I'm not worried about keeping them alive, that's no problem, sps just don't seem to grow as quickly as everything else in my system. But if I do end up growing, I can only grow from around 3/25 - 9/25, as I won't have direct access to my tank afterwards. So someone else might need to be a grower anyways.

FlowerhornNYC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as you guys too. I don't might be a grower but in the progress upgrade to a bigger tank(another couple months). Just don't want to stress them out with the transfer over. I feel comfortable with Gary Brain or bct as a grower. Sorry Jtomasi no offense since your tank is still new not really establish yet

Avast

Me z

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in no hurry! Also the sps will adjust and begin growing faster if they go into some type of ulns tank. I run zeo so if someone runs zeo or biopellets the corals will adjust quicker going into one of those. Not mandatory they should grow in any system but I have noticed going from a biopellet to a zeo or prodibio tank or visa versa stuff gets moving a little faster. Not mandatory but I figured its info that might help you guys narrow down your list. Just keep me posted, as I said I am in no rush!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM
Back