Filter sock holder extender?

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Has anyone ever come across a filter sock extender(for lack of a better term)?

What I’m facing. Have a sump with a built in filter sock holder. I want to start using a media cup with floss. Issue is this holder is too high for me to fit the cup in due to there being a lip on the sump, and the bulk head right above. There is maybe 3 inches from the holder to the lip.

Hoping there’s some kind of solution where I can put cup in a holder then the top of the holder in the existing one.

Alternative solution cut the acrylic of the holder to be able to put cup in. However since there is a lip I don’t want to have an issue with sock not sitting properly if I decide to go back to them.

Any solutions are welcome. Thanks!

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you will need to DIY something since it is such a specific application. For things like this I keep a sheet of 1/4 inch acrylic in the garage. Easy enough to cut sections out with a jig saw and use a propane torch to soften and bend into shapes. A picture would be helpful for us to see better what you are dealing with.

OP
OP
thatone08

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you will need to DIY something since it is such a specific application. For things like this I keep a sheet of 1/4 inch acrylic in the garage. Easy enough to cut sections out with a jig saw and use a propane torch to soften and bend into shapes. A picture would be helpful for us to see better what you are dealing with.
Sorry busy weekend.

Here’s the sock holder. Originally was using socks but want to switch to a filter cup for now. Not any room to put a cup in. Currently trying the reef diaper, but not entirely happy with it. I also can’t put the pvc from the bulk head down to direct water into it. Tried cutting off top of a sock as that works perfectly but tried using zip ties. Needs some work.

IMG_7491.jpeg

Last edited:

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry busy weekend.

Here’s the sock holder. Originally was using socks but want to switch to a filter cup for now. Not any room to put a cup in. Currently trying the reef diaper, but not entirely happy with it. I also can’t put the pvc from the bulk head down to direct water into it. Tried cutting off top of a sock as that works perfectly but tried using zip ties. Needs some work.

IMG_7491.jpeg
Can you cut the current holder into more of a U shape so that you could slide the cup into place and then use velcro or a zip tie to hold it in? In the sketch below green would be the current sock holder, red would be after cutting, and blue is a velcro strap or zip tie.
IMG_4233.jpeg

OP
OP
thatone08

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you cut the current holder into more of a U shape so that you could slide the cup into place and then use velcro or a zip tie to hold it in? In the sketch below green would be the current sock holder, red would be after cutting, and blue is a velcro strap or zip tie.
IMG_4233.jpeg
I think I could get away with not cutting as much, but unsure the best way to go about it. Not a whole lot of room so scoring and snapping is dicey. Dremel is a possibility but might be too messy. Heating and bending might work.

D3DPrintedThingz

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I could get away with not cutting as much, but unsure the best way to go about it. Not a whole lot of room so scoring and snapping is dicey. Dremel is a possibility but might be too messy. Heating and bending might work.
If you are still having trouble with this , with a few pictures and a sketch of what you need , I can get you up and running in no time. Always looking for my next adventure

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back