+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all,

Considering I always change about 40% of the water bi weekly on a 10 gallon reef... Does anyone think it's still necessary to use a filter pad?

On a past forum, one member made a good point that filter pads will trap all the pods in the pad and be thrown away in each maintenance...

I remember not using a pad wayyyy back in my jbj 12.. it worked out fine. But then again it was just a zoa only tank.

I do believe in running carbon or gfo if needed... But a pad.. I mean I'm only changing it out after each water change.. so the whole two weeks, it just sits there. Won't that be the same as not having one at all?

Thoughts fellow nano reefers?

Anyone here don't use filter pads?

Thanks!

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey y'all,

Considering I always change about 40% of the water bi weekly on a 10 gallon reef... Does anyone think it's still necessary to use a filter pad?

On a past forum, one member made a good point that filter pads will trap all the pods in the pad and be thrown away in each maintenance...

I remember not using a pad wayyyy back in my jbj 12.. it worked out fine. But then again it was just a zoa only tank.

I do believe in running carbon or gfo if needed... But a pad.. I mean I'm only changing it out after each water change.. so the whole two weeks, it just sits there. Won't that be the same as not having one at all?

Thanks!
Filter pads entrap micron particles- the advantage of having it

FDchase

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still fairly new and I’m not really knowledgeable on the subject but I have a 14 gallon running a tunze overflow filter and the only time I run a filter pad is when I start blasting stuff off the rocks. Water is really clear. I also just started doing 3 gallon weekly water changes and I have some rubble rock in the filter.
I also stopped running it because I felt 1 week was too long for cleaning the filter and I would never remember to do it during the week.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, It helps clean your tank of micro particles as well as houses beneficial nitrifying bacteria. if you have pods in your filter floss or pad, you have pods enough not to worry about throwing a few out with the dirty water.

MartinM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all,

Thanks!
I don’t use mechanical filtration in any system of any size, nor skimmers, fwiw :) (nano, mid size, or even my ~1000 liter system)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MartinM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends in what you’re trying to accomplish. I have trouble keeping nutrient levels up in my systems and I have a wide variety of filter feeding inverts, sponges, tube worms, tunicates, oysters, and even plankton that I don’t want to deprive of food - in fact, you can’t have that kind of biodiversity in an aquarium that has mechanical filtration (and without constant drip feeding, another topic!). For the more “standard” reef tank focusing only on corals that tends toward higher nutrient levels (typically due to lack of biodiversity) the usual approach is mechanical filtration to remove the particulate material before it dissolves.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Inkbird
Back